St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:42 am

Bufferstop wrote:Humbrol enamels are diabolical, they separate out far too easily, if I have to use them they get a thorough stirring using a twisted paper clip in the chuck of an old cheapo cordless drill. I sit the tin lightly clamped between the jaws of a machine vice so that I can hang on to it without my hand getting splattered. I'm always amazed by just how much pigment is settled in the bottom of the tin.

The design of the tins is awful too, inevitably when you start stirring the paint gets in that groove on the top and you cannot get it back out.

Great little scenic layout Geoff!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks for the kind comments Jim,

I think it's the quality, very variable, that has me hating painting. All that work and it can be
so easily ruined.

So pleased I didn't scrap this when we were moving. I still get excited about the landscape with
the variations in height. It also backs up my argument that to enjoy railway modelling you don't
have to spend a small fortune. This layout needs an Autocoach with loco of choice, a 57XX plus
about 8 china clay wagons, half loaded with tarps over, the remainder with folded tarps in the
wagon.
This taken from under the viaduct central arch - O.K with just 3 arches it's a bridge, but I expand
in my imagination - in that little imagination box in my head I also have sound, but not in locos !

6' x 3' can work in 4mm '00'

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:51 pm

My Station Masters house needed steps cut into a styrene bank, well today was the day.
Now waiting for glue to dry before plastering in. Still quite an amount of plastering to
blend in around the streets cottages, but the actual work involved is not excessive.
I'm getting the feeling of near completion.
Mind you the uncoupling ramp needs setting up, even re-building, but it is almost
invisible and part of my hands free coupling/un-coupling.

I must again practice with the weed clump uncoupling. Almost forgotten about that !!
Video & photos ref the above here - It's so long ago http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 65#p402607

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:39 pm

That shot from under the arch is fabulous Geoff, it looks so real, (apart from your garage roof)!

I especially like the sand banks created by the tidal comings and goings, very real, great work!

Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks for the comment Jim,

I've been away (again) at the caravan, it's supposed to be flaming June !!
When it was raining I decided to make up rolled paper chimneys for my
bright painted cottages.

Home today and must take the guttering & drain pipes back 'cos
it looks like the weather's not getting any better and I need something
to do.

Geoff T.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Chimney pots are the finishing touch, so simple, yet often missed off.

Just got back myself after a week in North Wales, have to say great weather every day, luckily!

Today we get up to full sun and very little breeze here in Fleetwood, we are doing well (for a change). This good weather means
my ballasting is delayed once again, heyho!

Can we see the row of cottages once the pipes and gutters are on ? Super modelling as always Geoff. Have you been practicing ?? haha!

Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:08 am

Jim, it sounds like you've pinched out weather !

Just come home again as it's started raining and tomorrow is promised to be
even worse. When you live only 3.1/2 miles from the caravan and the weather
is dull and damp there is always more to do at home. Yesterday evening I added
guttering and down pipes, as requested here they are with some workmen putting
finishing touches on.

I need to add some chimney flashing, then some small touch-up type jobs. One thing
I may try to add is a slight stain following the imagined line of those chimney flues.
If you look carefully at older building you will see a slight darkening ..... exactly why I
don't know, obviously the heat, but is the stain from drying wind & rain borne dust sticking
to the wall, could it be heat effect on the actual bricks, or stones ?

I quite enjoy drawing and making my imaginary buildings, but it's not fast, adding a better ?
resin buildings takes seconds and ££££. I just have to mix & match because time is limited.

Geoff T.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:11 pm

Great looking terrace Geoff, that end terrace gable is crying out for some old advertising!!

The weather bubble has burst, pouring down for 2 days not stop. ballasting is coming on leaps and bounds with it raining!!

Possibly the stain you are trying to create maybe caused by soot somehow?

I await the finished 'stained' results.

Jim.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:08 pm

Got a hint of Tobermory about those cottages, I like em :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:10 pm

A bit brighter than Tobermoray, was there a couple of months back and the Sun was out.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Very nice, does Jack and Vera own that yellow one :)
All Aboooooard !!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:26 pm

No, that's where Josie Jump lives, along with PC Plum in the middle and Archie in the pink house, (although technically he lives in the pink castle, not a house) ;)

Yes, i have kids and not ashamed to say I've watched children's TV with them lol

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:06 am

I forgot to add this very slow video ........
This is probably a full days traffic, compressed as much as I could.
Just sit and have a cup of tea between trains !!

https://youtu.be/Nu738FKmogs

Geoff T

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:54 am

I love this layout Geoff. It shows - if evidence was ever needed - that to be good things don't have to be vast or complicated. Less is so often more.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks Lysander,

Most of my adult life I've been trying to counter regular claims that something costs too much,
or is difficult from those who are bored, have nothing to do, and sadly probably have no imagination,
or inner drive to attempt pretty well anything
You know the usual, "Model Railways are too expensive". Somehow they think that without the latest
digital sound locomotive it's just not worth doing.

Yet for some reason this little layout is quite popular, it is though, about as simple as you can get.
I reckon that the whole layout, perhaps with 2 cheap small locomotives, even second-hand Hornby
0-4-0's, and about 8 wagons could be made for the cost of one good sound equipped locomotive.

I happily admit now to having a large shed of locomotives and more wagons than I can keep a count
of, but I do get annoyed at people who exclude themselves from an interesting life and can't get off
their backsides !! I started cycling with a bike made up from odds and ends, some salvaged from a
local tip. I started road rallying with a side valve 100E Anglia and was happy to take on Lotus Cortinas.

For any non-forum members reading this - Don't look for the difficulties, just dive in and get started.
It can be done for 'peanuts' and once started you never know where it might lead.

Oh well time to get off my soapbox - but with drops in my eyes I'm limited to what I can do at the
present time. I could gripe about old age, but learning to live with it and still enjoy life is the key.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”