St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: St.Oval - A scenic Set Track Oval

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Right a special for Slackers .....

I ventured out to the garage braving another snow fall and put the 7F on St.Oval. This loco as with Just about all Bachmann reccommend a minimum 2nd radius curve. My curves are one x third, one x second then 2 x first radius so should expect problems - well the problem was the tender derailing on the Peco set-track point in the station when heading to the bridge, it worked several laps in the oposite direction without a single derailment.
Here is the 7F pulling 21 mineral wagons at somewhere between 35 & 40 scale mph. I didn't stay out there long and wasn't going to mess around too much with my stop watch !!
Last evening on the clubs fine scale analogue track with gentle hand built curves it ran for a solid hour without any problem, unlike Dennis Lovatts "Blue Peter" which took a dislike to a section of points where the tender frequently derailed. In fact every derailing problem I've had with steam locos it's always the tender that gives trouble.
So the 7F runs a treat and I expect finer control after adding the DCC decoder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jo1PNOCI5U

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Geoff, many thanks for the report on the 7F. The tender on my Bachmann K3 also has a mind of its own at times. try this , it sort of worked for me with the K3's tender, I reduced the back to back setting of the centre set of wheels. It really did make a difference for the better. First of all as a sort of process of elimination I removed the centre wheel set all together and ran the loco and tender for a good hour with not one tender derailment, sooo I thought huuuummm try reducing the back to back pop the wheels back in and it was much improved in fact I think its only launched itself sideways once since.

Cheers sb
Last edited by slackbladder on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 pm

its so annoying when models derail, especially on set track!!!

i have a couple of diesels that literally can't negotiate points at all :evil:

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Hammy, we must not high jack Geoff's thread here but he may not mind me saying this. If you haven't already get yourself a back to back gauge and check the wheels on your stock. I was amazed at just how far "out" they can be out of the box.
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Are the tenders involved all of the solid peg variety where the drawbar is solidly moulded as part of the tender chassis. I think the problem with these lies in not having a sufficiently wide socket under the cab. An articulated drawbar seems to be the true solution.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:26 pm

No problem with bringing this up.

There is something that so few people have ever mentioned regarding derailing - and I only found it because I'm a persistant bore !!
It also needs a vernier.
Even new track may not be accurate to within 0.5 mm, when combined with a wide back to back, then there just isn't enough free play to negotiate
bends where some lateral movement is needed. I found that my Collett Goods was derailing even before it reached the switch blades on a Set Track point.
So I know that loco has a reputation for being 'difficult', but it should have cleared the toe of the point where the adjacent flexitrack joined.
The vernier showed that it was narrowing, this was not a re-used point, but brand new. Being a bit of a butcher at times I thought - the loco and
stock runs on the top of the rail, so why not file both sides a little to open up the gauge. You can't notice what I've done, but it improved running
through that location. On checking a couple of other places where some locomotives slowed I again found the track under gauge. I won't say it was
poor manufacturing standards although I can't see how I could have done it, unless by pinning down very tightly I've bent the sleepers which would
draw the rails slightly together.
I believe this was the problem with someones derailing loco - I can't remember which one as I type this, but you should find in the Bachmann threads.
Yes the Collett Goods has other problems with the tender and it's the amount of lateral movement within the three axles, which to be fair to Bachmann
is nor reccommended for use through 1st radius curves. As it's my only loco that can't run around St.Oval I'm not particularly bothered, but sooner,or
later I'll work out a fix.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

buz

Postby buz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Hi dad 1
probably not what your looking for but is this any use.
BlackCat1B.JPG
BlackCat1B.JPG (22.22 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

it will need re sizing to suit
I am no good with computers
But this one was done for me originally for a G scale pub
that never got built.
Just be carefull of any one wearing a pointy hat in this place.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:27 pm

While the weather continues to be cold and my garage cold & damp I'm not working out there.
As the MKMRS has it's show on 19th February and I'm supposed to be doing 'building' modelling
I thought I'd better get something started. This is to be a weighbridge with coal office.
Here's todays work - First drawing out accurate measured plans.
Then cutting 4 parts that make the inner plain plasticard shell, laminating
with embossed plasticard and placing on the 120 mm square base.

I have to decide how much interior I add, as well as wondering if I should add interior lighting.

In addition I thought I'd add a picture here (2 on the Bachmann Pannier tank thread)
Of the 8750 GWR pannier tank pulling a train of 25 wagons ..... easily !!

Geoff T.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:While the weather continues to be cold and my garage cold & damp I'm not working out there.

I know that feeling, that is why I moved back into the loft

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:47 am

lofty wrote:
Dad-1 wrote:While the weather continues to be cold and my garage cold & damp I'm not working out there.

I know that feeling, that is why I moved back into the loft

Aslo saves you having to change your name to Garagey :)

The door is over there yes?

That's my coat....
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

buz

Postby buz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Dad 1
Interior whats that??
I generally don't get beyond curtains and blacking out some windows.
I did once stick a patron in a pub snug once but thats about as far as I ever get.
Oh! and sticking shop pictures in large shop windows.
Can't find any decent shop pictures that I can use on the Dapol general store the one
that comes with it is terrible.
Any thoughts.
The layout is coming along I see.
As for interior lighting and exterior lighting.
I do think this adds something to a layouts atmosphere and can help with time frame identification.
Especially if there is enough of it to be able to turn the lights in the train room out.
And just operate with the layout lighting and running night services.
It is worth the effort to light stations yards houses and streets well I think so
But then my layout is tiny so it won't take much to light it up.
What I have discovered is that the "N" scale bracketed gas lamps are ideal for OO scale domestic exterior house lights have that on and the house dark and they are out for the evening.
There may be other "N" lights that could be used for OO domestic lighting situations.
I had to think about that so thats $2.50 :) :wink: :lol:
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:54 pm

i think you should decide to give it an interior, then the interior lighting will set it off a treat :wink:

lovely straight edges to your building.

looking forward to seeing this layout progress (once the weather warms up!)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Hi Hammy and all ....

The weather warmed up, well it did on Saturday, but today it seems to be quite cold again.
Still apart from checking out the Bachmann 8750 after trying to get a decoder in I just caught up on what I need to do next. Decided that I'd lay roadway over the level crossing, note the slow travelling 8750 just having passed !!

Sunday came - colder, but decided to lay some ballast down to the now built in roadway. I still have to scrape a little away from the line edges as my Hornby 0-4-0 series don't like it, I think the wider wheels overlap more than most modern locos. Just to prove the point, and the fact that a Hornby 9F can easily go around set track points and 1st radius curves here it is hauling wagons !! The civil engineer would be doing his nut as this branch line should never ever be subject to this sort of weight and power ....

I have so many buildings to complete, just like starting the next one before it's predecessor is finished, one of my many bad habits !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Not much warmer out there !!
Some of yesterdays ballasting had not set ...... too cold and damp ?
Anyway today I spent just a little time making a matchstick decking for the farms occupational crossing as well as building up the gateway track with
a mixture of ballasts - hope that sets by tomorrow !

Something like this needs checking out with a mixture of locos to be certain they'll all pass through without problems.
Had to sand a little more off to get the Hornby 101 class 0-4-0 through, but the 8750, 56XX and Evening Star had no problems.
Here is Evening Star pulling those wagons again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miv7GmHTrNY

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:32 am

New Purchase !
Well originally there was supposed to be a small mill set beside the stream bridge ..... only my planning hadn't left enough room to include the vital mill leat, on top of that I just don't want to take the time to build one, and Bachmann's small mill just wouldn't have fitted in. So a small change of plan, I bought the Bachmann garage which will have to be renamed Bridge Garage. Here it is, not quite in the right place due to standing clear of wet glue.
I think it looks about 'right' ??

I can hardly believe it's 12 months since I started this. I knew it would be slow, but now waiting for improved warmer weather to start surface skinning some styrene cladding.

Note the MOT sign over the garage door needs to be covered - there were no MOTs in 1947 !!

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”