Gav's Train Set

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: Gav's Train Set

Postby trainsandco » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:30 am

wow, this layout is justing geetting better and better!!!

keep up the good work!

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Look who's back!

Well what can I say........I've moved location again......dear god! It wasn't really working out in my sons spare room so I'm back in the dingy basement with the blessing of the President......I think I've truly moved this layout for the last time.....

All will be revealed tomorrow.......but here's a taster.....

It is the same layout plan just shortened and I had to move the loco sidings as there just wasn't enough room, the layout is also flat without the inverted figure of 8 that I wanted.

DCC purists hide your eyes.....

As I have already dismantled this layout twice before so serious cost-cutting measures were in order with regard to the track etc.

So I made my own track connectors using fishplates with the wire soldered to the bottom, (Horror) and they all work perfectly well. I know some people don't like the idea of using the fishplates to connect the power but they work perfectly well and I've had no problems.

Also I have not powered up every single piece of track (Horror II) I have powered alternate fishplates on the running lines and it works perfectly, obviously any reverse sidings and pointwork have had more connections than this but again I have gone against common thinking and it's all ok, working wonderfully in fact.

Finally although I used a fairly standard wire for the bus wire, similar to something on a kettle or a heater, (Quite thick) for the droppers I have used de-stranded LAN wire.....(Horror of horrors) LAN cable is so great to use, comes in 4 twisted pairs which you have to strip into 8 singles but it is very cheap, you get 8 lengths of wire for each segment and they come in conveniently coloured wires to help with your DCC wiring......I used the white wires with the coloured stripe for my outer rail and all the 4 coloured cables for the inner rail.

I know using LAN cable might be a big no no for some people but I can assure you it's working fine for me.

See you tomorrow then for a big update.....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Sun May 02, 2010 1:54 am

Spavo wrote:I know using LAN cable might be a big no no for some people but I can assure you it's working fine for me.

Category 5 network cable is the business. Are you using solid core or stranded stuff? Most of mine's solid, although a couple of stranded patch cables were turned into controller leads.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 8:48 am

It's the solid core stuff Brianetta.....works great too!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 am

So not to waffle on too much after nearly building this layout 3 times now my priorities have slightly changed in that I am keener than ever to get things running and be able to sit back and watch some trains run.....however I don't want to rush the construction and ruin the look of the layout...

This is why I have set about doing a small diorama at at time and in the future they should all come together to create a nice looking layout that will be fun to run trains on.

The corners of any looped layout are always a nightmare to fill so I have gone for some pretty simplistic stuff just to take the edges off the boards and so far so good.

I have deliberately left a good margin on the inside of the baseboard all the way round for the station buidings and a roadway....something I have never allowed myself the luxury of before.

So that's enough text, here are the pics, sectioned off into each zone......and when looking don't forget the name of the thread...Gav'sTrain Set.....not model railway! Those titles are for the future, I need more skills!

Thanks,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 am

Here's Corner One

This is where I have put the signal box, a Superquick kit of course! A small wall and some fir tree's, touch of scatter and hey presto....needs some fencing and I'll be pretty happy with it...

More later with the next corner....

Thanks,

Gav.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun May 02, 2010 10:30 am

Spavo wrote:Here's Corner One

This is where I have put the signal box, a Superquick kit of course! A small wall and some fir tree's, touch of scatter and hey presto....needs some fencing and I'll be pretty happy with it...

This is looking great! You really mean Metcalfe of course - not Superquick!
Carpe Diem!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 11:58 am

Doh! Metcalfe of course!!!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 12:05 pm

So onto Corner Two then.....

A small town scene with a couple of townhouses and the recycled bar/shop from my previous layouts....

Here you go....

Thanks for looking,

Gav.

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Sun May 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Top drawer stuff again Gav .... :wink:
Lookin' forward to seeing more of it.

best regards
T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Well i have to say that flexible wall is bloody effective :) Very nice work there...

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun May 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi is your umodified blue Vac the Hornby D421 or is it Lima? Nice layout.
cheers
I
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun May 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Welcome back Gavin, it has been too long.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun May 02, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks very much guys and much appreciate the comments......

Ark Royal, it is indeed the Hornby model D421......I don't know anything about the vac etc you mention in your post as I know little about Class 50's (Or any other class for that matter!) but I do know you are the expert in these matters!

So onto corner 3 which is my recycled Farmhouse and Farm building.....yes it is indeed the smallest farm in history but it is amazing what you can squeeze into a corner....

Here you go...

Hope you like and thanks again,

Gav.

craw607

Postby craw607 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:50 pm

What a fantastic layout and excellent use of the items you have as you say recycled.
The only thing that disappoints me is that I had'nt looked before. sorry
John

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”