Nik's Post Privatisation Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Polyrhythms

Re: Exmoordown TMD - Modern 00

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:13 pm

iankemp wrote:at the min it not but i am buiding what i can. Being back at my mums am limited to what space i can get hold of. i am giving the mainline peaks a buffer beam and window makeover at the min. Bridges/buildings will be built when i have done them!

Ah I see, I guess thats one of the problems with having a massive layout. Post plenty of pics up of the peaks :)

Some more progress...
(sorry about the darkness, I'm still faffing around with this new camera)

Mainline pinned down and wired, not glued though. Also made a start with the next line in, though I'll have to do some head-scratching over this three way turnout before I can wire it up. Since I'm not using point motors, I've bought some switches that will allow me to operate the electrical switching manually, and independantly of the WIT's... sod's law indicates that these will either not work, or work and then break after I've ballasted everything. Oh well, here's a shot showing how pathetic my track-laying skills are:

Cheers,
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Hey all
Sorry about all these boring pictures, I'm just really enjoying the build, and would like to document it for future reference :)
Anywho,
Laid some points out to see how they would fit/look, and realised the daunting task ahead of me...

Haven't a clue how I'm going to wire the double slip considering it's surrounded by points, but never mind!
Cracking on, thought I'd link up some mercontrol...

but now I've run out and will have to buy more :( Arse. Disregard my pencil marks, that was me being optimistic with the point radius :P

Cheers,
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 am

People of NRM,
A minor miracle has occurred!
Since tracklaying has been stalled until I get some more bits and bobs, I thought it might be a good idea to do some wiring, and, after a tedious hour kerfuffling with sticky copper strip, something actually works! Some of the points are a bit iffy, but once they're all wired for electronic switching those niggles should go away.

Behold, 66135 and 57008 settling into their new home!

Moving down the mainline:

57008 comes to a stop in the headshunt, while 66135 moves out:

A strange shot from a different perspective:

All in all I'm quite pleased with my work so far, and can't wait to crack on with the rest of the trackwork! Oh, and of course the scenery, so it doesn't look like just a bunch of track nailed to some cork :P
Lots more to come...

Comments welcome :)
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Bit more progress:

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Looks like a good start.
Double slip, just insulate all rails and traet like a single section, will be fine. However, my "early" class 66 (4 wheel pick ups) did not like my double slip , they lost pick up when "turning" so i removed it on the 4th build.
A loco with no sound chip? Might as well be unpainted!
EWS sound loco depot viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7263
Olivers Road RMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18867&start=30

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:11 pm

piemanlarger wrote:Looks like a good start.
Double slip, just insulate all rails and traet like a single section, will be fine. However, my "early" class 66 (4 wheel pick ups) did not like my double slip , they lost pick up when "turning" so i removed it on the 4th build.

Thanks, yeah I do hope it works - it better bloody had do, it cost £30!

All I need now is three more IRJ's and I can lay the last three sidings... I'm getting there slowly.

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:36 am

Well, it took me just over a month, but all the track is down. Say hello to an abundance of wonky rails, dodgy cork and wires protruding everywhichway.
Eh, I'm still proud of it, as I never thought I'd get anywhere near this level when I first set out :)

So, from the fiddleyard end...

And the from the factory end, with some uni prospectuses in the background so kindly showing where the embankment will be:

All the real fun can start now, after of course I've wired the bliddy thing up. Lets hope it works!

phil sabin

Postby phil sabin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Looking good mate, I realy like the depot plan. Should look really when finish.

Can I asked where you got you wire and tubes from for you turnouts
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 am

phil sabin wrote:Looking good mate, I realy like the depot plan. Should look really when finish.

Can I asked where you got you wire and tubes from for you turnouts

Thanks Phil. I bought the wire and tubes from my local model shop (Exeter) but I think you should be able to buy them online, try putting "mercontrol" into Google and see what comes up :)

Anyway, here are my efforts with track painting (I wish I had an airbrush)

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:03 pm

I know you aren't using point motors, but rather than operating the electrical swiches manually you could fit a thin rod to the 3-way point throwbars down through the baseboard and then use some PL-15s on the underside to switch electrical connections at the same time as you throw the point. In effect, using them without a point motor to do exactly what they do with a point motor!

Just a thought...

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Still nothing interesting yet, but I'm plodding through. Been finishing off the electrics, and nailed on some backscenes too. They're still a bit Truman Show, and blue (more like a day at the seaside) so I may have to add some huge grey clouds in there when I can.

Still don't like all those point control wires sticking up. Anyone got any ideas that would neaten them up a little?

Might make some curved corners out of plastic or card, the hard edges are killing me :P

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Looking good. You have made fast progress with this project.
I'm looking forward to the scenery now.
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun May 02, 2010 11:22 pm

Been a while, thought I'd show 'yall what I've been up to...

Simple card and poly stuck down with a hot glue gun... cheap, quick and it looks... well you be the judge of that :wink:

Base for the bridge cut out; tis quite an interesting shape this one, will have to get an aerial view sometime. Still can't quite get the hang of brick painting.

Getting there. Quite possibly the blurriest picture ever taken but it gives you the idea until the lead for my decent camera shows up :)

Cheers
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sat May 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Made a start with the bridge, can't be faffed to finish it tonight though.
I put ribbing on the back. But why, you can't even see it?

Oh well, I know it's there.

Might have to break the paint brush out before I go stir crazy....

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Mon May 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Small update: Basic structure of bridge mark 1 is completed... not too bad considering this is my first scratchbuilt structure and it cost me only a few quid in materials (always a bonus!)

So, from the back:
(Impossible to see it from this angle on the layout :evil: )

And from the front. Wow, cutting out loads of tiny pieces of plastic is fun! 44 ribs in total...

What the?

I had no plans for this bridge whatsoever, I just went by eye/the flow, so your thoughts on the scale/ overall look of the thing are welcome.

Cheers,
Sam

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”