Nik's Post Privatisation Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Polyrhythms

Nik's Post Privatisation Layout

Postby Polyrhythms » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Hello all
Been bitten by the bug again - only this time I (for the most part) actually have the funding to support it! So, onwards with my first, proper, solo (ish) layout... scary!

Heres what I have so far...
8 1/2 by 2 foot baseboard, with veerrry heavy blockboard for the top
A lot of clutter.

Oh yeah, and I made this little programming track too, firstly so I could test my new dynamis system (I'm new to DCC, will definately need help here!) and also to practice my tracklaying + ballasting + soldering skills. This is my first attempt, opinions?

Sam
Last edited by Polyrhythms on Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.

egroeg93

Re: Exmoordown TMD - Modern 00

Postby egroeg93 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 pm

what brand/product is the ballast mate?? Its nice size.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:12 am

Looks very good. I'd certainly think about placing some sort of track liner underneath whether its some kind of card or cork tile [I'm the one to talk I didn't on my layout] and then ballast as you have over the top. It just provides smooth operation of the locos. I would have liked to have done it to all the track to my layout, however one gets too hasty and want's to see the track ballasting done very soon! :roll:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:30 am

egroeg93 wrote:what brand/product is the ballast mate?? Its nice size.

Oooh good question, I think maybe it's woodland scenics? At the moment it's stored in a coffee jar so Kenco ballast! :P

Durseytu wrote:Looks very good. I'd certainly think about placing some sort of track liner underneath whether its some kind of card or cork tile [I'm the one to talk I didn't on my layout] and then ballast as you have over the top. It just provides smooth operation of the locos. I would have liked to have done it to all the track to my layout, however one gets too hasty and want's to see the track ballasting done very soon! :roll:

Cheers,

Stuart.

Thankyou :D Yeah I did try putting card layers under that section of track - don't think it shows up very well in that picture though :cry: but if you look carefully in the first picture (next to the 37) you can see some wickes cork tiles! hoorah! At the moment I'm still waiting for supplies, namely a whole bunch of wiring and some means of operating the points (think I'll try the piano wire in tube method), so it may be a few weeks before theres another update! :shock:

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:00 pm

Polyrhythms wrote:Thankyou :D Yeah I did try putting card layers under that section of track - don't think it shows up very well in that picture though :cry: but if you look carefully in the first picture (next to the 37) you can see some wickes cork tiles! hoorah! At the moment I'm still waiting for supplies, namely a whole bunch of wiring and some means of operating the points (think I'll try the piano wire in tube method), so it may be a few weeks before theres another update! :shock:

The idea is that you aren't meant to see the track liner! :P

With regards to the piano wire... I had once considerred using bicycle brake cables! :roll:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Hello all,
I seem to have settled on a track plan for the layout, hopefully it will last! Here's the stripped-down version of it -
Red = Mainline to fiddleyard
Blue = Factory sidings
Green = TMD.

I'm pretty happy with it, hopefully it will provide lots of interest shunting/loco movement wise. Only trouble is, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to wire it! Is it as simple as insulating the heads of every turnout, and placing lots of droppers either side? As I said, I'm new to DCC - and I can't really remember how I would of wired a DC layout, it was so long ago.
But anyway, any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Sam

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:12 pm

Polyrhythms wrote:
egroeg93 wrote:what brand/product is the ballast mate?? Its nice size.

Oooh good question, I think maybe it's woodland scenics? At the moment it's stored in a coffee jar so Kenco ballast! :P

Lol.. mines in a gravy jar, so its classic roast chicken ballast :P

you not sure then?? i have a bag of jarvis fine, which is too coarse

Random

Postby Random » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:09 am

Polyrhythms wrote:Only trouble is, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to wire it! Is it as simple as insulating the heads of every turnout, and placing lots of droppers either side? As I said, I'm new to DCC - and I can't really remember how I would of wired a DC layout, it was so long ago.

With DCC, you just need to make sure the whole layout is live. If you're using electrofrog points you have to insulate the inner two rails (right of one, left of the other) because they'll pick up power via the frog. With insulfrog points I don't think you'll need to isolate anything.

Good luck.

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 pm

Random wrote:With DCC, you just need to make sure the whole layout is live. If you're using electrofrog points you have to insulate the inner two rails (right of one, left of the other) because they'll pick up power via the frog. With insulfrog points I don't think you'll need to isolate anything.

Good luck.

Yeah ok, seems simple enough. Thanks for the tip :) Updates soon (probably :P)

Cheers,
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Ok, been doing some research, and found this picture:

COPYRIGHT PHOTOS REMOVED

which by huge coincidence has almost the exact same track layout as the TMD end of my plan! Anyway, it should give you half the idea of what I'm trying to achieve... the other half is in my head, and difficult to articulate through google images :P (I guess I should start building then? :) )

Here's a second pic, which is a tad more accurate building wise, ie. more modern (strange, as it's far earlier than the first :S), but still, whats with all this BR blue?

COPYRIGHT PHOTOS REMOVED

And as for the factory end of the layout - I doubt there ever was or will be a real version of the building I'm hoping to erect, so I'll just keep the plans secret for now :p

By the way, I'm hoping to scratchbuild as many of the buildings as possible, partly for the satifaction/stress, but mostly because I can get them to fit into the small space that way!

Cheers,
Sam

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Small update:

Fiddleyard

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Polyrhythms wrote:COPYRIGHT PHOTOS REMOVED

ahh Toton MPD good choice to model pity you haven't the room to model the otherside of it as well! 15 roads on other side could prove very difficult if your limited for space! I hope it works out well!

looking good so far!

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am

iankemp wrote:ahh Toton MPD good choice to model pity you haven't the room to model the otherside of it as well! 15 roads on other side could prove very difficult if your limited for space! I hope it works out well!

looking good so far!

Yeah it would be tricky - hows your attempt coming along? :p
I'm thinking of making the depot building only three lanes wide instead of four, and have the remainder as a siding for something else, as theres only two (wagon) sidings on the layout otherwise. Then again, I do fancy the challange of building a four laner depot...

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 am

Nice sunday mornings work:
glued some more cork down, wired the track up, and fitted the state of the art mercontrol point operation system. I kid... I was actually very suprised by how well it works, and it'll definately come in handy when all the scenery (esp bridge) is in place. Right, on with the next section...

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 pm

Polyrhythms wrote:
iankemp wrote:ahh Toton MPD good choice to model pity you haven't the room to model the otherside of it as well! 15 roads on other side could prove very difficult if your limited for space! I hope it works out well!

looking good so far!

Yeah it would be tricky - hows your attempt coming along? :p
I'm thinking of making the depot building only three lanes wide instead of four, and have the remainder as a siding for something else, as theres only two (wagon) sidings on the layout otherwise. Then again, I do fancy the challange of building a four laner depot...

at the min it not but i am buiding what i can. Being back at my mums am limited to what space i can get hold of. i am giving the mainline peaks a buffer beam and window makeover at the min. Bridges/buildings will be built when i have done them!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”