Timmo's N Gauge Layout - New Track and Station on P.3

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Flakmunky

Timmo's N Gauge Layout - New Track and Station on P.3

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:53 pm

Welcome to my build thread.

I have been building my first N Gauge layout since the middle of January. I once had a Hornby layout when I was about 13 that never got finished because I never had enough money.

Now I'm older I have a job... :)

I decided to model the era of trains that I remember as a young boy, so that is about 1980 - 1988... And I just love Class 08 shunters, I don't know why!

Anyway, not wanting to have a 'permanent' layout, I decided to build something that would slide under the spare double bed. We also have this old chest in the room we call the 'Snug'...

So I designed a layout and baseboard which would fit on top of here and under the double bed in the other room which is across the hall way...

Here are some piccy's of the baseboard frame under construction:

You should be able to make out that I have used a slightly smaller sized timber for the cross bracing. The idea is that this sits on top of the chest and the larger section sits around the edge, thus securely locating it in place. It works really well! :)

Last edited by Flakmunky on Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Flakmunky

Re: Timmo's N Gauge Layout

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:03 pm

So with a couple of castors on the 'back' edge of the frame:

The layout can be lifted vertically, wheeled across the landing and then slid under the bed on these:

The swivel castors have since been move closer to the ends of the board for better stability.

These handles come in handy:

Anyway with the size of the board determined, it was on to the planning... Wanting a double mainline (as I'd won a Gaugemaster DC controller on Ebay for a song) I came up with this:

Some of you may have seen this in another thread. I was wondering for quite some time whether to replace two of the turnouts at the bottom with a double slip... But decided against it in the end...

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:05 pm

I had decided to use Finescale Code 55 track.

So then it was on to transferring the plan to the board...

In a past life I was a draughtsman so know a thing or two about drawing... Not that it helped as it turned out!!!

Anyway, the plan on the board:

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:13 pm

I had wanted to use WS Foam Roadbed but couldn't find it for love nor money, so went with Cork.

Somewhere between the previous images and laying the cork, I decided I wanted more of a landscape feature. The trouble was this feature (a river) was to go below rail level, so I removed the top board, added more timber on top of the original frame, then cut the board up and glued some foam insulation in... Like so:

Then kitbashed this together:

Well, when I say kitbashed, all of it was built from scratch apart from the PEco trusses... Unfortunately the railings fouled some of the RS I have so they have now gone...

This was a Ratio viaduct kit. I originally had the 3 arches in but it looked funny as the 2 outer arches could only just be seen. So I pulled it out and made up the sides with what should have been the legs of the viaduct...

Last edited by Flakmunky on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:20 pm

As keen as ever to lay the track I realised I needed to take a step back and do some soldering:

First soldered feeders to the frogs, then made 40 feeder fishplates (can't remember what the proper name is at the moment!) then soldered fly leads to all the Seep motors...

Then turned my attention to a control panel:

Simple box from Maplins. Bought the momentary switches from a guy in Hong Kong on Ebay... $0.99 for 10, $6.99 for postage... Still cheaper than £2.29 each from Maplin! The push buttons are for Peco electromagnetic decouplers, then there are 2 dpdt switches at each end of each oval for the block control. K.I.S.S. is my motto. Especially as I like beer! Finally a couple of on / off isolating switches in some of hte sidings.

I have since got a new laminated plan of the layout and tidied up those switches a little.

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 pm

Starting to lay track:

Then ran out of track so ordered some more and wired the dpdt switches up to test what I'd been doing:

So that is pretty much where I'm at right now... Waiting for a delivery of 2 pieces of Flextrack (ordered, but they delivered Code 80 - doh!) and then I also destroyed one of the throw bars on one of the turnouts with my cheap Dremmel copy. Stupid, really, I was trying to file the hole in the baseboard for the point motor a little bigger 'cos I hadn't made it big enough...

So, the track is (supposed to be) turning up tomorrow in the post (hopefully) so I can finish that off. Then a little more foam landscaping in the centre. I'm toying with a tunnel on the right hand side of the layout but not sure... Might end up being just a road bridge.
Next I need to decide on a station building as well as some kind of goods shed...

So any suggestions most welcome...

And one more piccy of my 37:

Last edited by Flakmunky on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:49 pm

That's a really lovely looking baseboard... I'll keep an eye on this thread, looks like it's gonna be a cracker!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Loving the 37!
And nice work on the layout, keep it up!
Ste :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:10 pm

Its a good start, i'll be watching with interest!
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:45 am

Very nice work, your skill as a draughtsman is certainly evident from the clean and thoughtful approach not just to the framework, but on the track, wiring
and scenic side too. The bridges/river and hill contours all fit together like a nicely proportioned glove - very pleasing to the eye :)

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the kind words...

All my stuff turned up today! :)

But I have a load of marking to do so have to finish that before I can play! :(

Hattons managed to send me 374-403A rather than 373-403A as well... So I have 2 GNER MK3 coaches rather than 2 Railfreight 5 plank wagons...

More piccy's later... As well as the 2 GNER coaches, Hattons also sent me (which I did order!) 5 Rusty Dogfish wagons... First time I've tried Dapol stuff and although I'm not too happy with the chassis (looks a bit toy train) I do like the detail everywhere else!

montyburns1982

Postby montyburns1982 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Flakmunky wrote:Thanks for all the kind words...

All my stuff turned up today! :)

But I have a load of marking to do so have to finish that before I can play! :(

Hattons managed to send me 374-403A rather than 373-403A as well... So I have 2 GNER MK3 coaches rather than 2 Railfreight 5 plank wagons...

More piccy's later... As well as the 2 GNER coaches, Hattons also sent me (which I did order!) 5 Rusty Dogfish wagons... First time I've tried Dapol stuff and although I'm not too happy with the chassis (looks a bit toy train) I do like the detail everywhere else!

Weather the chassis using railmatch 'brake dust' and then dry brush some 'rust' paint on - they look the mutts nuts!!
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Thats really impressive, I particularly like the bridge. How did you make the railings?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

WillW

Postby WillW » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:31 pm

This is looking great, loads of potential!

I particularly like the river below baseboard level, something I want to do on my layout when I start.

Looking foward to seeing this one develop.

WillW

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:34 am

Thanks for the comments...

The railings were made with cross sections of styrene. I made a rig first to hold all of the uprights, then glued the horizontal railings on... I even impressed myself...

Only 10 more scripts to mark, and I started early this morning so I could play this afternoon!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”