East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
the weston guy

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby the weston guy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:17 am

The layout looks fabulous. I think i need to start putting things on my layout now.

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:31 am

Thanks Tim - hope your layout is coming along.
Well, the Ratio and Wills kits arrived - thought I'd give the smallest and least complicated a go first. Looks fairly straightforward.
It went together reasonably well except the guttering was put upside down :roll: I also attempted to paint it somewhat in the GWR colours which mean't mixing some acylics and holding them up to the computer screen! Sort of followed this website to get a general idea.
Once together, I weathered with some Bragdon powders and a dilute wash and placed it on the layout I had to cut back into the hillside a little and added a bit of extra greenery for effect.
Overall, not too bad for a first try. There will probably be a fence running the length of the platform.
In the distance by the bridge is part of the footbridge -still needs some work. Next up isthe main station building, but that's another day.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:57 am

That's a great updateand the photo's are really good quality.....

You should definitely be pleased with yourself, the 2nd pic has that 1 magic ingredient that you can't buy in any railway shop or from any internet site.....atmosphere, it's a brilliant photo well done.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:21 am

I agree, very atmospheric.
Nice work on the shelter - just the right amount of weathering :)

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree, this is excellent modelling. The building looks like it's been there for ever. I think you will have to fence the railway from the public, "that's not me talking - it's the law!"
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:30 pm

where did you get your ratio kits from?
MADE A NEW ACCOUNT BECAUSE HATED THE NAME OF THIS ONE D=

its now "Mikespace"

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks for the comments :D Feedback much appreciated. It seems it takes ages to get any tangible work done due to family and work - i.e. this weekend is a an outing to the Museum of Flight in Seattle (to see G-BOAG Concorde) :roll: -

EWIYmike wrote:where did you get your ratio kits from?

Unfortunately, any British model railway kits are pretty thin on the ground here -so trawling the internet, the best deal was from from Classic Model Railways LTD on ebay - Their site - They operate out of Bridgnorth and I think used to trade as the Hobby Horse? Reasonable prices and fast shipping.
Hattons don't appear to have any Ratio/Wills stock whom I normally use.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Hello Charles,
Excellent modelling - "not too much, not too little, just right!!!" said The Three Bears as they ate Goldilocks :shock: :lol: The Lay-out is looking very Mr. Kipling(exceedingly good),
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Whether by accident or design having it cut into the hillside is genius - looks fabulous and as if it has been there for years. Nice work.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:29 am

It does look right now Charles. You weren't happy with it before for obvious reasons but that platform and station building really do look top quality.

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 am

Looking fab charles. What class is the diesel shunter on the layout?

sishades

Postby sishades » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:28 pm

Simple but effective.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:05 am

Thanks for the encouragement - cripes - looks like I'd better make a real effort on the station I'm building. Already discovered that it's a little too wide for the platform it'll sit on. So much for trying to incorporate a cattle yard.
What class is the diesel shunter on the layout?
It's an old Mainline 03 with a seized engine :roll: only for looks!
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:17 am

About time I posted an update! The main work has been on the Ratio station as well as working on some of the terrain.
The station is probably about 90% finished - I still have to weather it more and add some details.

I think I have solved the platform problem, but the station will have to sit over a board join, meaning I won't be able to glue it into position. Still I think it'll be ok. I have also been working on the cuttings (using ElDavo's method of glue and paper towel!)
For the station forecourt, I have been experimenting with a light-weight filler (spackling they call it in these parts!) Once dried, I'll sand it off a bit andthen paint it.
I am tryingto get an unfinished road texture without it being like a farmtrack!
And finally a general station pic -
The station still needs some subtle weathering to dull down the roof section, plus the platform surfaces - any ideas on the best way to do this on Metcalfe surfaces? - drybrush and powders? Thanks for looking!
William S Gilbert

Charles

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:30 pm

oh wow.....this layout looks great so far :)

I love the station on that gentle sweeping curve :)

I look forward to more updates/pics :D

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”