East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: East Cheltwell

Post by SouthernBoy »

Well worth the effort, that really is a superb model. I think you've got the weathering just right there, especially judging by the last picture of the water tank, subtle but effective.
the weston guy

Post by the weston guy »

Very Nice. I think I need some of your help next time you come over...
siquelme

Post by siquelme »

Just wow

Those weathering powders did a great job on your engine shed
Great Western Modeller for my sins
My Blog http://brookescastle.blogspot.com/
Blue_2

Post by Blue_2 »

Lovely stuff! That water tank looks great!
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=36766
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Post by Eastern »

Thanks Gents! - I've been out awhile, but appreciate the comments!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

Hello all - finally an update which I have been meaning to do for awhile - I have had a few running sessions, but not alot else. Pretty uneventful until a short at a point suddenly caused all the locos to start running at once - two casualties - a knackered Mainline Mark 1 coach and a slightly dented Merchant Navy which took a dive to a concrete floor. This did entail some superglue, but runs well. As for the coach - well, those Hornby Hawksworths look quite nice! :wink:
I also worked on trying to get the 4MT running smoothly - the DCC chip is ok, just a loose connection somewhere. I may have to rewire the DCC socket which looks to be the culprit.
I also started to work on the final corner which has looked a bit bleak and forlorn - the track is fairly well weathered and ballasted. It just needs some buildings!

I envisaged this to have a simply engine shed with a coal staithe and a few rundown buildings, perhaps some junk and a little overgrown. I have positioned and glued down the engine shed, but am considering the other sheds.

This part is the end of the sluice with the signal box - (It's the Metcalfe one and not 100% sure if it'll stay - It obviously needs some weathering to fit in with the other buildings)

Started with some static grass, a little foliage and some fencing....

Again thinking about buildings etc - glue hasn't dried yet!

and (with a giant glue bottle - have to work on the photography a bit!)

This is just the beginning - need to weather the fence and other areas, more grass, bushes and perhaps a stunted tree? I think I will also research a little to see really what was around a single road engine shed. In this case, it was really for some light repairs, but nothing major. So hopefully some more results/updates in the near future - not 6 months :oops:
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
the weston guy

Post by the weston guy »

Well done Charles. The layout looks great, I really like the shed and the weathering. If you need me to get pictures of the Severn Valley for you it's a good excuse to go! :D lol
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Funny isn't it - but I somehow quite like the barren and deserted nature of that corner as seen in the second photo.

But equally I can see why you want to do something with it.

I really like the little stream running up to the sluice, it gives that section of the layout an 'understated' focal point (it could have been a river or canal, but somehow something more minor seems just right).

Anyway, glad to see an update here and looking forward to finding out how you decide to finish this area off. And after that ... what's next I wonder??
lozstlouis

Post by lozstlouis »

excellent progress. how avaliable is UK model kit in the US where you are?
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

Thanks Gentlemen! -
how avaliable is UK model kit in the US where you are?

I mostly buy off ebay, (Buy it Now) or occasionally order from Hattons etc - by doing this I don't pay VAT which typically covers the cost of postage to the US. For most scenic items, I visit my local model shop. For DCC items, I have used Tony's Trains Exchange - http://www.tonystrains.com

Hi Tim - maybe I should post some pics I took on the Seven Valley as well -It was a good day out last November!

Last night, I continued to work on the base layer of static grass, as well as some grime around the engine shed. I am using the Noch Puffer bottle method which takes some patience to build up a field. I am also playing with idea of a small coaling stage next to the engine shed or possibly not, to keep the area free from too much clutter! Perhaps an ash pile and a small pile of coal?
And after that ... what's next I wonder??

Well - I have still quite a lot to do - out of the 8 modular boards, probably 1 is approximately complete. The others need detailing and some additional buildings. Perhaps, I'll take a pic or two tonight. The idea of possiby exhibiting East Cheltwell as crossed my mind - transportation would be the issue - doable though.

What's next did get me thinking though - I do have a G Guage LGB and Bachmann set of two engines and rollling stock - the idea of a small garden layout could be a possibility! :D

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

A brief update - I had a couple of hours to spare and continued with some bits and bobs!
This is an overall picture of East Cheltwell - it does need tidying up a bit :oops:

Anyhow off to the engine shed!

I have been applying base layer of fine ballast and static grass to build up a foundation. Looks nice and trim, but that will change! I have a lot of Woodland Scenics tree armatures and feel the need to plant a wood!

The work on situtating the shed continues

I am also working on a buffer - This is the current situation
I have made up a Peco buffer and some track ends
Just need to paint and add a sleeper or two with some suitable shrub!

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Very nice, can I come & play ?
Too far I'm afraid ....... still loads to play with there, but I do like some space ........
too many cram track everywhere, but to me this is the way to do it.

Geoff T.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Looking extra-good in that overview :)

I guess you usually stand in the middle (?) Maybe next time it would be interesting to get a few views from the operator's perspective?

It's all coming along really nicely ... thanks for the update. Always a joy to catch up with East Cheltwell :)
JohnN

Post by JohnN »

Hi Eastern.

First time reading through your thread. Its a fantastic layout. The quality of work is exceptional and I'm loving the scenery. Your use of static grass is superb. They say less is more and I think you're proving it. :D
Eastern

Post by Eastern »

Seems I have got back into some modelling! :D
Maybe next time it would be interesting to get a few views from the operator's perspective?

I need to do a little tidying up first! Too many boxes of 'stuff' but thanks for the comments!
And cheers JohnN - static grass does seem to get some good effects, but get everywhere!

On to an update - the buffer has been completed and placed - loks like it is hanging off the end of the board, but there is about a centimeter spare to play with.

After building up a base layer, I started to add bushes and trees. The trees are woodland scenic armatures with different applications of polyfiber and flock, as well as the Woodland scenic foliage. The shrubs are lichen sprayed with hairspray and have some foliage attached as well as a puff of static grass and a sprinkle of fine flock - burnt grass and earth. I am trying to give the impression of some overgrown vegetation as this part of the line has started to become more rundown and disused. The mainline is fine, but the branchline and engine house is starting to look neglected.

A slightly blurred picture of an autocoach used alot on this line, though it reallly should be BR Red and weathered.

I still have more detailing to do including some scrap and junk - not too much as there is still some pride!

and lastly an overview -

On the the 'to do' list is to sort out the running of my Stanier 4MT which needs some work as well as give the track a good cleaning. I also need to think about chipping some other locos (and even something new!)

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]