East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby Eastern » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am

Seems I have got back into some modelling! :D

Maybe next time it would be interesting to get a few views from the operator's perspective?

I need to do a little tidying up first! Too many boxes of 'stuff' but thanks for the comments!
And cheers JohnN - static grass does seem to get some good effects, but get everywhere!

On to an update - the buffer has been completed and placed - loks like it is hanging off the end of the board, but there is about a centimeter spare to play with.

After building up a base layer, I started to add bushes and trees. The trees are woodland scenic armatures with different applications of polyfiber and flock, as well as the Woodland scenic foliage. The shrubs are lichen sprayed with hairspray and have some foliage attached as well as a puff of static grass and a sprinkle of fine flock - burnt grass and earth. I am trying to give the impression of some overgrown vegetation as this part of the line has started to become more rundown and disused. The mainline is fine, but the branchline and engine house is starting to look neglected.

A slightly blurred picture of an autocoach used alot on this line, though it reallly should be BR Red and weathered.

I still have more detailing to do including some scrap and junk - not too much as there is still some pride!

and lastly an overview -

On the the 'to do' list is to sort out the running of my Stanier 4MT which needs some work as well as give the track a good cleaning. I also need to think about chipping some other locos (and even something new!)
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

Hi all - just a quick update - have to say I am enjoying my layout and trains right now - I went through a bit of a lull over last year. As noted, I decided to chip a loco and next in line was my Castle Class - Cadbury Castle.
I used the excellent guide by Trains 4U found via the links on Bromsgrove Models to RMWeb. It was pretty straightforward - I used a Digitrax DZ125 which fitted very well - This is my workbench aka the dining room table! - found my iPad invaluable as a reference to work from as well.
All tested and it runs very well and is a nice addition to the layout!
Played trains a bit too! :D
I have a daylight lightbulb which gave a different effect
Also a shiny DMU
and a view over the station

I have also been working on my 4MT .... Do you know when you've done something and then afterwards thought that it wasn't the best option - well thats me right now. I snipped off the capacitor and then decided to cut out the PCB and rewire with a new chip..... Hmmmm not the best way to go as I now have a short circuit. Hopefully I can get some advice on the DCC forum. Thanks for reading!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi Charles,

Pleased to see the bug bit again ........ all looking very good.
Didn't expect the change of bulb to make that much difference.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

matt1471

Postby matt1471 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Inspirational layout and space!! Very jealous of both!!

Scenery looks excellent, and I'm very impressed with your Wills Engine shed and painting!! I'm working on the Wills twin engine shed and hoping that when the painting time comes, will start to look a little more real!

Good luck!

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi again - thanks Geoff and Matt - :)
I had a spare day this week and decided to work on some engines, chips and CVs. As I mentioned in a previous post I had been working on a Hornby BR Fowler 2-6-4T Class 4P Loco '42335' (R2223). I had snipped off the capacitor and then decided to cut out the PCB and rewire with a new Digitrax DZ123 chip. Upon completion, it indicated an illusive short circuit to the point I almost literally threw it in the bottom drawer. So, back to the spare day - I again checked the engine, pick-ups - then decided to re-solder the PCB and and plugged in a spare TCS DP2X - to my sceptical surprise it worked. Due to the chip size, I placed it under the coal bunker. I tested it on the layout and it ran well. After numerous circuits, stopping and returning to it, it ran and then stopped totally dead :roll: Back to the drawer until I have some more time.
One of the engines I had been wanting to chip was an old-ish Lima Class 37
This is quite a simple engine to work on. Remove the body
Sip or twist off the white capacitor and un-solder the pickups
Solder the relevant wires - I used a Digitrax DZ123 and ensured all was secure
I then renumbered the decoder and it tested fine.
One of the difficulties with the older Lima locomotives is the initial response - to this extent, I adjusted CV2 (V-Start) from the default of 00 to ( and now I can't remember!) 15 as well as experimented with CV5 & 6. This really made the engine much more responsive. I also worked on my Lima Deltic as well and really improved its running.

It's nice to have a couple of 'new' engines to run on East Cheltwell.
William S Gilbert

Charles

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Hi Eastern,
Excellent update & lovely photos. The engine shed that has become partly overgrown looks really good & effort you put into mixing the various flock, lichen etc makes this corner look particularly good.

I also love the views of the station & how the track sweeps through it.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:43 pm

Another smaller update - a couple of things - firstly, after really cleaning the track and working on CV values, locomotives have really been running well. I think this contributes to the overall enjoyment rather than being frustrated with poorly running stock. It's nice for engine to actually move off on its own without the giant hand giving it a nudge!
I have been working on the engine shed scene -
The muddy brown is a light-weight spackle (polyfilla?) with some acylic paint added. This is liberally 'brushed' on as it can be lightly sanded down later.

I am also working on the station area again with the the two sidings.

This area needs some rationalisation!
The platform wasn't supposed to support the siding, but looks like it should do - working from the original plan of Chalford, there was a small goods yard. I think I will try and keep it simple, but will use a Wills Goods Shed to bring it together.
So far just painting parts on the sprues - pics to follow. I also need to think about the station approach as well. At the moment, there is no access from the car park. Perhaps a slope of sorts? Hmm -
William S Gilbert

Charles

keith73

Postby keith73 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Charles, I've just spent the past half hour reading through all of your posts. First time I've seen your posts. I have to say your layout is great very detailed & obliviously a lot of time consuming work. Love the station area & the scenic areas you have made very inspiring stuff. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more updates & photos.
Keith

mash

Postby mash » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:05 am

Just read through this for the first time also. Fantastic job on this. Very jealous! Looking forward to the next update. :)

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 am

Thanks Keith and mash! I started East Cheltwell almost 3 years to the day and still haven't finished! Thanks for the comments.
Just a small update - I have been working on the goods yard store and have practically finished it. The Wills Scenic Series kits are pretty straightforward to construct. They are pre-cut and on sprues. The instructions are not numbered, but pretty easy to follow.
I painted and glued!
and the final result - I still have to weather the shed.
Overall a pretty east kit to put together. Next on the list is the Wills Craftsman CK19 Brick Goods Shed which is in a completely different league. Here you have the basics to complete a building, but it is almost scratch-building. Unlike the Craftsman Engine shed I have already made, this kit does not supply a scale template. Should be fun to see what I can produce!

BTW - I have just transitioned over to the all singing and dancing photobucket which is not userfriendly for re-sizing.
William S Gilbert

Charles

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Charles,

I have given up on Photobucket and now using Imageshack.com
The user interface is not as good as the old Photobucket and setting up albums is to say the least notchy, but it
works and getting the link code is very easy. In addition they re-size to the required dimensions for here yet the
actual picture as shown here is in fact larger - work that out ??

Geof T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 am

Glad to see your keeping up the high standard of work we've come to expect from you. :) I'm loving the engine shed cameo. Top notch work.

If you are anything like me, I tend to build and paint structures and leave the weathering to later. When I finally get around to it, I have to have summoned up the courage to weather loads in one go. Not sure why I have such a mental block on weathering. :?

I agree about the new photobucket format. If I need to use photobucket at all I use the 'switch to old version' option. Much easier to use.

All the best.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 am

Cheers John-the Wills Craftsman Kits do seem intially daunting, but actually go together quite well.
Still trying to get to grips with the new photobucket;at least the pictures are posting!
So an update of sorts. I have started work on the Wills Goods Shed. This is what you start with.
I also found the templates which I thought I had lost; what I had done was made some a couple of copies and mislaid them :roll:
And gradually started to come together

I have realized that I will have to redesign behind the station., its approach and the goods yard.
As you can see, it is a little tight here!
Looking a little unrealistic, I am planning to take up the siding and re- lay a new siding allowing for more space
This will make the area look not so crowded and allow some work on the station approach.
It will take a little work as the length of rail will be laid across two layout modules , plus the droppers will have to be re soldered. Hopefully worth the effort. One highlight was a 'win' on eBay with a Bachmann 2-6-0 crab 32-179 for the princely sum of $32.11 or £20.72. I think the seller put it among the HO American Bachmann listings which resulted in a bargain for me! Let's see if it works though when it arrives . :wink:
William S Gilbert

Charles

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 am

Hi Charles,

I won't comment on the realignment, that's something personal to you & your railway, but
I will add that generally you have an uncluttered layout giving the feeling of space. All too
often builders cram in as much track and as many buildings as they can and it just looks so
wrong. You have developed a real spacious feel, so many small yards & stations were in
fact quite open.
Just keep posting the pictures !! (ps I'm using Imageshack more than PB now)

Geoff T.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 am

Hi Geoff - thanks for the comments - I did think about not moving the siding , but thought by doing so would free up some room - I know what you mean about leaving it alone - but, perhaps just a small change? - here is the early stages or the relaid track. I hacked out some of the sleepers to give a more realistic look?
Hopefully this will retain some of the spaciousness - This is probably the last large structure on East Cheltwell - no ruined castles, pubs, terraced houses, windmills etc
William S Gilbert

Charles

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”