East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:14 am

For me it's all about the scenery.
That shot of the coal merchants building in the yard is brilliant
just my sort of forgotten corner feel.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:45 pm

Simply fabulous. Kick the kitty to the kerb.
Nessie rocks!

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:03 pm

Thanks chaps! - I hoovered up the excess fibres where the landrover is, and it looks much more accurate and to scale. Before a 1/32nd vehicle would have fitted nicely! I am also realizing that there really should be a fence or some barrier from where the lane and cars are to the railway. If the lane an adjacent land were owned by the railway, would there still be a need for a fence though?
Our young cat has taken a liking for a stroll around the layout and demolished a set of fragile ratio signals as well as chewing on foliage etc, so I spent Sunday afternoon re-gluing fences and bushes. The location of the signal gantry was not really accurate to the up and down lines as well as where it was situated in relations to sidings and diverging lines etc, but looked good!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Having fun with the new static grass applicator as well as accidently shocking myself in the process! Quite a kick! :shock:
Here is a pic of the lane tidied up; I still need to add some highlights as it is a little too green and shiny, but it looks much more to scale.
with another view here - the 8F is running well after its recant conrod repair, though the wheels need cleaning -
Lastly a look down the layout - I have re-applied grass to the r/h bank on both sides of the signal box and also on the l/h side as well

This is how things look before - everything looked washed-out and faded
and now some work has been done!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:16 pm

"Spring is sprung - the grass is ris' " - looks great.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 pm

Great improvement 8)

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 pm

The weather has been cold and icy so with a day off , it seemed like a good time to dig out some old Ratio Model kits I got of Ebay a few years back. These kits appeared to be quite old, but all the bits and instructions were there.
They are somewhat fiddly but came together quite well. One thing I need to change are the wheelsets which are plastic and pretty rough. I also put on the couplers for the moment, though they look out of place. I painted the wagons per the instructions and added some weathering - not quite done yet, but less is probably better than more! I also didn't complete the China Clay wagon completely preferring an open version.
Finally, I put on the water-slide transfers - due to the age of these kits, they had mostly faded and disintegrated in the water. I will have to weather over some of them - overall a fun afternoon - and here are the finished kits! (still need new wheels and some final weathering!)

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 pm

Nice job, those moulds have certainly put in a shift or two for Ratio! They look right at home at East Cheltwell, especially with the upgraded grass.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 pm

With Ratio kits, the older the better as they have far less flash to worry about. They make up well, too. This is a really nice layout.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Nice little set there Eastern,

Wheel sets can be a problem. With the 5 plank wagons using some wheel sets
foul on the brake shoes and can catch the underfloor reinforcing ribs. Particularly
Hornby with their deeper flanges.
Couplers, WHEN we can get them again Bachmann Narrow tension-lock in Peco
mounting blocks is the ideal way to go. Just finishing my 10th 5 plank open !!

Once you start it becomes addictive !!!!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 pm

Thanks for the kind words - I have a tendency to 90% complete kits and then not finish with the final details and start to run them around the layout - here they are on a mixed goods - apologies about the picture quality
Still having funs with the static grass - I refreshed the country lane near the farm as well as fixing the fence. Think the local bus took the wrong road!
Unfortunately, I have to do some plumbing repairs this weekend :roll: but I'll try to do some more - it appears that the old dear who had the house before us hired a cowboy contractor to do some plumbing upgrades - not sure if you have galvanized iron pipes in the UK, but it doesn't mix well with copper fittings :roll: :shock:

I can't replumb the whole house but will replace with CPVC piping and stainless steel fittings - looking forward to redecorating once this pandemic is over and the whole house can have a makeover!

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:42 am

not sure if you have galvanized iron pipes in the UK, but it doesn't mix well with copper fittings :roll: :shock:

I've come across it from installations around WW2. It's preferable to lead of which there is quite a lot still in use. Galvanised is frequently used for agricultural irrigation supplies.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:03 am

I started work on replacing some of the galvanized piping in the basement room where the layout is, and then discovered more leaks. Here is a section of the old pipe with a before and after - there seemed to be a lot of plumbing bodging by the previous home owner with a lot of putty around joints; unfortunately, using a reciprocal saw caused some of these joints to start leaking :roll: and a small job turned into something bigger.

And after

As I had to replace some piping and joints above the layout and also with the worry that some water could ruin the layout, I dismantled two sections to allow access above. Here is a picture - the whole layout does come apart into 2’ x 4’ sections. One of my aspirations was to think about exhibiting East Cheltwell on the local American exhibition circuit - it would be somewhat of a novelty for the folk around here!

One benefit was a photo from a different angle! I left everything for a week, just to make sure there wasn’t anything additional that needed doing. Net step is to put the boards back together!

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]

manna

Postby manna » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:21 am

G'day Gents,

Nice bit of work with the plumbing, not sure on the livery though !! :lol:

Layouts looking a lot better with the refresh.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

captrees

Postby captrees » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 am

This is very good. Of course bus drivers didn't have GPS back in the day. :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”