East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby Eastern » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:07 am

After starting the ballasting and wanting to paint the rails - I realized that I would have to (and eventually anyway) turn the whole layout 180'. This is where I would see if the modular system I built would work! So - before....
and then the slightly tedious task of disconnecting each individual module including the DCC bus, point wiring and finally the bolts. All started well, and things started coming apart well, until.... one of the modules carefully placed decided to fall over and squash the signal and loading guage. I was careful with the rest! It was a bit of a pain tryingto get it all back together as the basement floor is not 100% level, but finally, the layout looks like this! I think I will also need to add a couple of addtional trestles.The wonders of superglue fixed the guage and signals.
Image.
This is the area I will be working on and am open to any suggestions as I haven't yet put alot of thought into it!
Most likely a goods depot (coal or lumber) with some semi-derelict sidings and a raised bank of sorts with a couple of houses?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 am

Most likely a goods depot (coal or lumber) with some semi-derelict sidings and a raised bank of sorts with a couple of houses?

I think that you have a good idea already. On the "not very level" front try using some adjustable feet on your table legs.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:03 am

I levelled out the trestle legs with a couple of shims and set to work finally completing all the ballasting (wetting the ballast with 70% Isopropyl alcohol and then dilute pva with a dropper - I find this a good method, but beware of the fumes). Next is the task of airbrushing on some 'railroad tie brown' as its called in these parts and painting the sides of the rails a rusty oxide. In the meantime, I started on the Ratio Coal Merchants kit which is coming together.
The parts are a bit 'plasticky looking', but with the intial coats of paint, the appearance is starting to look reasonable.
In time with the addition of weathering powders and coal, it should look pretty grimy and decrepid!
Over the weekend amongst all the other things that need to get done, hopefully a trip to the Columbia Gorge Model Railway which is having an open house.Apparently, its "4200 sq.ft. of HO Railroad" I have seen it a couple of times and it's pretty amazing!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Work progresses - I popped down to the local model shop looking for some suitable water-based paint to airbrush the rails and ballast - unfortunately, they had sold out. Faced with a couple of weeks until a new order came in, I bought thinners and the oil-based version. A bit messy, but the worst were the fumes which permeated the entire house! SWMBO came storming down to the basement and issued a cease and desist order! :roll: Luckily 99% had been done by this point! :wink: Trying to get back in her good books, I took the boy down to the Columbia Gorge Model Railway open day - Pretty big!
Apologies about the quality of the pictures due to the dim lighting - my Canon is starting to show its age (and limitations) I am on the lookout for a shop sale for a Canon EOS Rebel T2i 8) - currently $849 (£528) and includes:
Canon EOS Rebel T2i Body - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - Wide Strap - USB Interface Cable - AV Cable & Battery Pack - Battery Charger
Anyhow - a chunk of change, so we'll see....... now back to those pics.....
I do have a few others which I will post in due course.
William S Gilbert

Charles

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Wow! Now that is a trainset! The controller has a headset and everything too - superb :shock:

Would love to see some more pictures, and bad luck at being 'caught' by SWMBO...
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:29 pm

hi ya
what a lovely layout you have and i am sorry to hear about the little accident like you i have got to move mt railway as it is in the loft on the floor and have just got some 2x2 to at last put it up on legs and get it off the floor
so what kind of stock you going to be running
and what era is your layout
laira depot

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

so what kind of stock you going to be running and what era is your layout

Not 100% sure yet, but late 50's early 60' British rail mid to west region - though I do have some eastern region Mk1s which don't really fit the layout premise, but for now........ and I'll put up some more pics form the CGMR!
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:36 am

just a few more pics- The layout is divided by a walk through with the controllers situated above. Very organized!
Again apologies for the sub-standard picture quality.
The fire is supposed to depict M tSt Helens erupting!
William S Gilbert

Charles

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:04 pm

Well i hope william enjoyed it charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:56 am

Well i hope william enjoyed it charles
Not as much as his dad did! :D
I have been working on the Ratio Coal depot - painted and weathered, although looking at the pictures, I have noticed some messy paint smears which will need sorting.

I think once situatedon the layout, it'll be fine with some coal and other details. Ill alsohave to try and weather out the transfer backing as well.
I also just received a Bachmann OO Scale 0-6-0 BR Collett Goods (32-301) which I won on ebay for the princely sum of $31 + $11 postage = $42 or £26.25 - not bad! Of course, I had to take a couple of pictures!

I hooked up my old DC controller and it ran well. Next is the project to chip it, although this will entail some work looking at this installation guide click here for details
I'll probably use a Digitrax DZ125PS or DH123D depending on how much room I can make or it can take.
Still need to paint the rails :roll:
William S Gilbert

Charles

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:28 am

hi ya
your layout looks very simaliar to one of the club layouts i work on its an em gauage and called clattaford at the east ham and district model railway club
love the look of your layout keep up the good work
peter

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Hello Charles,
That is a nice addition to your Fleet of steamers. Great value-buy also, mate. Now all you need to-do is change the insignia to GWR and I would really appreciate the Engine as an "extra" Christmas Present :shock: :P :lol: . Hope you and Family are ALL well. Take Care,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:49 am

Thanks Michael - appreciate the sentiments - probably keep the BR though.After chipping the Collet it runs very well and initially, thewholeDCC chipping seemed somewhat daunting, it was worth it. It's a nice addition and fits well. I've started on the scenics for the goods/coal yard section. I've added a shrubbery and the start of an incline.
A Couple of glitches appeared yesterday. Some track had lifted which was probably due to either: not enough ballast, a bad pva and isopropyl mix or the temperature changes of the last couple of days(although the basement temperature is pretty consistent) Also, a dead electro-frog. I checked it out with the multi-meter and also the 'quarter' trick - it's an American thing! power to everything apart from the frog. :roll: The culprit most probably was the peco pl-13.I had a dodgy spare, but that didn't work either :cry: (and it took a little work to find this out! :evil:
I replaced the offending part with a PL-15 microswitch which mean't disconnecting the pl-10 motor as the PL-15 didn't snap on and I didn't want to force it connected to the point on the layout. - after soldering and ensuring it all went together, I now had a dead point. Unfortunately,the heat from the solder-iron had melted one of the the under the rail feeds and it had come loose. OK - right - drill and solder the connecter to the rail. This from all under the layout. :roll: Finally, it all worked. Thank you and good night!
Plaese don't mention Tortoises or reliability! :oops:
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:50 am

A picture afterwards!
William S Gilbert

Charles

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:36 am

That. Is. Amazing.

You must be very proud of your layout, as I just said it is amazing! I look forward to seeing more updates :)

Ben

p.s. the coal merchants also looks AMAZING!!!
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”