East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby Eastern » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:41 pm

Hi Mike - thanks for the comments. I am enjoying finally working on the scenics rather than the sawdust and screws of baseboard construction! re:the water; it's just from some different angles that it looks like shiny cardboard! What I do acknowledge is the inspiration, encouragement and technical help from the NRM forum. I think it difficult to try and emulate other layouts and as long as you are happy with what you produce, that's good. One of the reasons as I have said before with dismantling my old layout was the dissatisfaction with the Hornby code 100 setrack and DC control/running. This time around the Peco code 75 looks better; maybe next time hand-laid! :wink:
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

EWIYmike

Postby EWIYmike » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:35 pm

wow this layout is really looking amazing, i hope i can get mine looking as good is this!
MADE A NEW ACCOUNT BECAUSE HATED THE NAME OF THIS ONE D=

its now "Mikespace"

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Been working on adding some trees, fences and foliage! -
The fences are the Ratio GWR posts, but the 'wire' is amazingly thin - I am using a different thread instead as I find the Ratio just too fiddly!
I also started a Dart Casting horse/dray kit

It started out well, then butter-finders dropped it :oops: thank goodness for super glue!
I have also been working on the bridge location and have added a hedgerow to one side with a road type fence to the other. So hopefully more pictures later.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Been doing bits and pieces - one area I worked on was replacing the brick side wall on the bridge with some stone faced plastic-card. I felt this blended in better with the bridge and general area.
In reality, when the bridge was first built, they most probably used the same stone to construct the ramps and other supports.I still need to add some greenery and other details - the shed is there temporarily.
I have also finished the fencing on the other side and added some details here and there.
The cart and horseturned out ok!
and here are just some general views! I still need to chip the DMU and Class 37 -
That's it for now!
William S Gilbert

Charles

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:05 pm

hi ya
i just want to say what a lovely layout you have on the go there
i just wanted to ask how long has it taken you to get to the stage you are at now
and how long do you think it will take you to finish it
and what stock are you running and would like to run in the future for the layout
laira depot

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:50 pm

i just want to say what a lovely layout you have on the go there
i just wanted to ask how long has it taken you to get to the stage you are at now
and how long do you think it will take you to finish it
and what stock are you running and would like to run in the future for the layout

Cheers Lairadepot! - I started East Cheltwell around January 30th this year - and over the last 9-10 months have constructed baseboards, laid track, wired up electrofrog points for DCC and started on the scenics. I expect the layout to be somewhat finished sometime next year! (If a layout is ever finished!) I currently run a West Country, Merchant Navy and Class 55 Deltic - all chipped with Digitrax decoders. I do have probably another 10 locos which need chipping -
I would like to get a BR crest Pannier at some point!
William S Gilbert

Charles

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:39 pm

hi ya
if you are ng to go down the road of a pannier tank you have to get it in gwr green as i am west country boy i hold the highest torch for the great western
lol
many regards
laira depot

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 am

Hi Charles. Layout is looking good. Are those semaphore signals working?. Tim

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Eastern wrote:Image

It's photos like these that make sure I keep returning to your thread(s)!

Superlative work!

Gavin

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Truly stunning! If my railway modelling ever reaches that standard, I'd be a happy man!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks Gents -
Are those semaphore signals working?. Tim
no afraid not - I initially tried to get them working, but gave up after snapping a post and getting in to a real mess! :oops:
Thanks for the other comments! Always good to get feedback! :D
William S Gilbert

Charles

the weston guy

Postby the weston guy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 am

Eastern wrote:no afraid not - I initially tried to get them working, but gave up after snapping a post and getting in to a real mess! :oops:

Well anyway it still looks brillant. Looking forward to seeing you in march. Is it?
Tim

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:30 am

Very nice work there Charles. I have to agree that the new and improved brickwork on the bridge ramp looks much better, and appears as though it's been there for some time! The flowing curves of this layout are really good, and I'm very impressed with the progress so far.

Thanks for posting that pic of the Dart Castings horse and cart - you've persuaded me to put one on order now!

All best,

Chris
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Hello Charles,
This is very good scenics, mate. Quite stunning the way this Lay-out has progressed. I haven't been able to follow your Posts for a while so this is a pleasure to behold. Really well done and keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Thank you all! I have started some ballasting work on the other side of the layout where I will have small coal or timber depot and neglected sidings. I also have the RATIO TRACKSIDE OO KIT 525 COAL/TIMBER MERCHANTS kit so this should complement the area well. Another item I got of ebay recently was a Cooper Craft Plate-layer trolley kit. This should add a nice cameo which I think really enhances a layout-pics in due course! and yes, quite right Tim - coming over to the UK in March and looking forward to a visit to the Hereford Model Centre!
William S Gilbert

Charles

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”