East Cheltwell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
EWIYmike

Re: East Cheltwell

Postby EWIYmike » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:58 pm

yeh wht T&C said
this layout is seriously making me want to start mine again again =/
MADE A NEW ACCOUNT BECAUSE HATED THE NAME OF THIS ONE D=

its now "Mikespace"

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Indeed the gentle curves of the station (and detail) look brilliant! When I first made a station on my radius 1 bends the clearance was ridiculous. The passengers had to leap something like a scale three feet to reach the carriage in the worst case. :?

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 am

this layout is seriously making me want to start mine again again

Your layout is looking fine! You should seethe things that I started, looked at and then scrapped beacuse I wasn't pleased :roll:

.....The passengers had to leap something like a scale three feet .....
Thanks for the comment Stuart - however, if you look closely at my platforms, passengers will also have to take a leap alighting at the station!

Well on to an update - disaster struck when I decided to add a gray wash to the road bridge - doh - the cardboard started to buckle up when it got wet. Started looking like a rollercoaster :roll: This time, I tried to save it by liberally smearing the surface with some wall filler and then used some powders. It still needs some work, but looks a little more acceptable. I also used some plastic card to surface the side of the bridge incline. This needs more colouring and detail. The access road and two sidings are also coming together although a fence is probably in order to stop people wandering onto the line.
On the other side I have added a couple of layers of static grass.
I think I need to crack on with another section of the layout as I seem to have spent an inordinate amount of time on this section.Stay tuned!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Charles,
I wouldn't fret over how long any section takes - it's the result that counts, as well as enjoying what you're doing.
Your results are excellent and with a reasonable sized layout the very last thing to do is rush it - just accept you have a nice on-going project !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:39 am

Not a great update - Idecided to move a little down from the station and work on a small dyke/sluice of sorts. I thought that this would probably add some variety.
I cut a little section from the cross supports and started shaping the profile with cardboard.
Next I used some filler and paper towel and dilute pva to contour.
Seem to make a right mess!
But hopefully with colour and covering, will turn out better.
I also added fencing to the platform and started ballasting onwards onother sections.
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 pm

The station area and approach road look great from the pictures Charles, and the dyke/sluice section will add another feature that's not usually tackled in a layout. It's good that you have a large section of open land for this and it will make the layout stand out from the 'cram in as much as possible' scenerio.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Cheers Andy - am trying to develop a more open layout to complement the flow of the track, rather than, as you said, cram as much in as possible. (Although with the best of intentions, this could happen :roll: ) Anyhow, back to the layout - I have some more pics, but haven't uploaded to photobucket as I was updating the computer to Windows 7/Office 2010 and got distracted somewhat!
This is the start - unfortunately, the light was pretty bad...
Added paint and tried that Woodland Scenics 'Realistic Water' - initially it gave looked good- but has now become flat, showing the corrugated cardboard. (This does look like ripples though - we'll see)
I have also been working on the static grass and adding other elements - I am please with the results of the grass, although, I am sure I would have got better results the electric apllicator rather than the puffer bottle.
The sides of the sluice need some more work with shrubs, bushes, weeds etc - have to also put some trees down as well. The shot would great on a Fenland railway - marshes, cold wind off the North Sea.... but we are supposed to be over in the West of England!
And a shot from the station complete with fences - all need weathering and some grasses/weeds added.
I have also been experimenting making some gorse bushes with some brown polyfiber and fine scatter. And that's it for today!
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Been smearing a lot of light weight filler over pva soaked paper towel and boards to build up a textured base. Once dried, I add another layer which smooths out the ruts somewhat. This will then be painted and weathered.
As this is a modular layout I am trying to make it as light weight as possible, yet have some strength. Only real issue presented is the gaps between the base boards. Either covered with foliage or made to lokk like a drain?
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:02 am

I had a couple of hours free and soldiered on by building up an embankment supported by card and then draped over with pva soaked paper towel
which gave this result
The contours of the card are somewhat visible, but hopefully with a couple of coats of static grass and bushes etc will smooth out these... The trees still need some work and I will lose the bases!
However, it's coming together. I do need to work on the camera work (I used to use my Canon EOS 10 but this is 35mm film and needs to be developed onto a CD meaning $$$ :roll: It's either too washed out with the flash or blurred (really should get out the tripod! :oops: )
I am also using an old Superquick house which I have weathered somewhat, but still undecided if it fits in. Meanwhile someone has planted some runner beans while I wasn't looking!
I think it will look alot better with some more details -signals, fences and more foliage and trees, plus a few workers' sheds; perhaps even a few people?
William S Gilbert

Charles

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:43 am

Hello Charles,
Just getting up to-date. Your Lay-out is coming-on leaps and bounds. The grassed-over spoil-hills are looking very good. No sooner do you turn your back than the grass starts taking over :P :lol: You should be very pleased with your progress,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello Michael - thanks for the comments. I am getting used to the application of static grass - gets everywhere though!
I really need to clean the track this weekend and give the layout a run. How is Kernow & GWR JR coming along? Be great to see some pictures and hear about any progress.
William S Gilbert

Charles

manna

Postby manna » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm

G'Day Gents

A nice open layout (makes a change these days) I will admit it has a Fenland feel, just keep on adding 'Trees' ! The superquick house looks just right where it is, some of the old railway companies put the stationmasters house's in some funny place's ??? Looking good :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks Manna -
I will admit it has a Fenland feel, just keep on adding 'Trees' !
Not surprisingly since I grew up in East Anglia and lived in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire! Trees and foliage are being added slowly, but surely! I cleaned the track today and hooked up the Zephyr to see if still worked! Yup -track still not as clean as it could be, but I took a naff video as proof! Click on the picture!
Not the best - must try harder! :roll:
Last edited by Eastern on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
William S Gilbert

Charles

Eastern

Postby Eastern » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Just a few photos of work done -
For this one, I tried blanking out the background -
and a B/W of my V1- whichis a bachmann split chassis - should prove interesting to 'chip this one!
I have also been working on the sluice which seems to have turned into a brook of sorts!
and with an train!
The water surface needs vacuum - and I am still not sure about the cardboard corrugated appearance - looks ok from this angle though -
andlastly a general view of 222 Sqn
Fences, fences...signals and telegraph poles......
William S Gilbert

Charles

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 am

Hi Charles,

I keep dropping in on this thread & I always end up leaving it feeling like a total no hoper, the standard is above & beyond & the photos are so clear & crisp.

I really love this photo, but what makes me feel bad is you're not sure about it ?

Eastern wrote:Image
The water surface needs vacuum - and I am still not sure about the cardboard corrugated appearance - looks ok from this angle though -
andlastly a general view of 222 Sqn

This pictures looks stunning & I've been looking at every mm of it whilst having my morning cuppa, the water looks as if it is actually flowing just as it does in a real dyke, the water reeds look as if they have grown there, you have the train passing and then to top it all out you have a very convincing rolling hillside in the background.

I look forward to seeing more pictures as this layout developes.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”