The Bridge (The Yeoveney & Colnbridge Railway) - JOGLE

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: The Bridge - The Yeoveney and Colnbridge Railway. STATIONS!

Postby trainsandco » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:05 am

Durseytu wrote:Image
Ahhhh beer! :P

And which is this? Number 5? :lol: ;)

That idea with the over hang and pencil, is GENIUS!!!

Durseytu wrote:No real contractor would be able to knock flat an old station and build a new one in a week!!

In a week they wouldn't have even finished their Health and Saftey talks and setting up the coffee machine ;)

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Stuart

Well, we are a brave lad, aren't we? :lol: I think it was a good decision though, 'cos I think that what you've planned will certainly be superior to what you had before! 'Home made' platforms always look better because they follow the surroundings rather than having to fit the surroundings around the platforms if you see what mean ;)

I really like the thinking and method you used as well. Nice bit of lateral thinking :)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Looking good Stuart - when making those curved platforms, also make sure your locomotives also have clearance as well. I didn't and had to rip up a whole section :roll: My Deltic was the worst culprit!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

auricom

Postby auricom » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:37 pm

trainsandco wrote:
Durseytu wrote:Image
Ahhhh beer! :P

And which is this? Number 5? :lol: ;)

Probably 10 knowing our Stu ;)

And i'm 27!

Older than me my friend older than me :)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:12 pm

trainsandco wrote:And which is this? Number 5?

auricom wrote:Probably 10 knowing our Stu

This was actually three of three; one at the curry house, and another two later on in the evening! So I’m not that bad... :P

auricom wrote:Older than me my friend older than me

Cruel, very cruel :cry:

trainsandco wrote:That idea with the over hang and pencil, is GENIUS!!!

Infrontcat wrote:Well, we are a brave lad, aren't we? :lol: I think it was a good decision though, 'cos I think that what you've planned will certainly be superior to what you had before! 'Home made' platforms always look better because they follow the surroundings rather than having to fit the surroundings around the platforms if you see what mean ;)

I really like the thinking and method you used as well. Nice bit of lateral thinking :)

Eastern wrote:Looking good Stuart - when making those curved platforms, also make sure your locomotives also have clearance as well. I didn't and had to rip up a whole section :roll: My Deltic was the worst culprit!

And cheers all. I originally used a similar idea with my earlier layout. I like the idea of having curved platform edges although when using set-track the required clearance is somewhat ridiculous. Still as Tim mentioned this kind of station does fit much better in to its surroundings. All locos will be fine with regards to clearance. The class 47 is the worst for swinging out on the bends, but its not quite as bad as a Mk1 which I’m using as the guide. Sadly I have an old 12 wheeler dining car which will be too big for this layout so is now surplus to requirements. This also means that I wont be able to run Mk3 stock which means I can no longer worry about the temptation of buying a detailed Intercity 125! :P (A bit of an extreme way of solving this problem by preventing it in the lines loading gauge).

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:26 pm

A little bit of hunting for reference, this is what the old station on the first layout before I ripped it all up looked like. The main difference with what I’m doing is using card instead of MDF, and I’m going to have a much better stab at the paving effect rather than simply painting the surface grey!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

auricom

Postby auricom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Cruel, very cruel

I softened it up with the "friend" bit :)

Bet you anything though I feel older!! I feel about 93 not 23!

With the platform, are you going to use card or plastikard? and textured sheets like paving slabs or what-not?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:15 pm

auricom wrote:I softened it up with the "friend" bit :)

Bet you anything though I feel older!! I feel about 93 not 23!

With the platform, are you going to use card or plastikard? and textured sheets like paving slabs or what-not?

He he no worries. I still get asked for ID in pubs which always makes me smile. Long may it continue!

As for the station I'm using 2mm card. The walls will be covered with some brick sheeting that I have got, and I’m going to try my hand at painting the station surface. If it ends up looking terrible then I'll try paving sheets for the platform surface. I'll be applying the brick and paving effect prior to construction of the station just to make my life a bit easier!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:45 pm

As I have said before, I love your general layout (and I am copying parts).
I would like, however to take issue with you about your new platforms.
The way you have gone about making them is correct (nice to see it still in use)
but, if you have a look at the previous page, at the coach overhang on the curve, you will be furious with yourself sometime in the future (I say this from experience) that you ever imagined that the distance on that bend from the middle of the coach to the platform was ever acceptable or that anyone could hop or even Olympic long jump that distance (it gives Mind The Gap real meaning)
otherwise
all power to your elbow.
The layout generally is really good
Regards
rocketman

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 pm

by rocketman on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:45 pm
As I have said before, I love your general layout (and I am copying parts)

You know! I cant ever recall seeing any pics of your layout rocketman. You have got a layout havent you? :?
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Durseytu wrote:He he no worries. I still get asked for ID in pubs which always makes me smile. Long may it continue!

I was once asked for ID at a "trendy bar" when I was 26 and when I said "Is driving licence ok" I produced it - and it was one of the old pre-photo licences. The bouncer's response was "Well if you've got one of those you must definitely be old enough!".

Having said that my photo of the beer after 3 would look like this:-

As I don't drink these days.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 pm

slackbladder wrote:
by rocketman on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:45 pm
As I have said before, I love your general layout (and I am copying parts)

You know! I cant ever recall seeing any pics of your layout rocketman. You have got a layout havent you? :?

I am about to build one but I did mean my question...what is your answer?
This is one of the things which holds me up.
rocketman

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm

cmeonthemove wrote:I was once asked for ID at a "trendy bar" when I was 26 and when I said "Is driving licence ok" I produced it - and it was one of the old pre-photo licences. The bouncer's response was "Well if you've got one of those you must definitely be old enough!".

Having said that my photo of the beer after 3 would look like this:-

As I don't drink these days.

That bouncer clearly has a sense of humour and I love the edited picture! Contrary to what some may think I don't actually drink that much; I enjoy good drink on occasion, but not the drunken part afterwards. I have a lot of respect for those who choose not to drink, your liver will certainly be a lot better for it!

Still as an old friend used to say... there are three main vices in this world: drink, drugs, and smoking... well one out of three isn't bad! :lol:

rocketman wrote:As I have said before, I love your general layout (and I am copying parts).
I would like, however to take issue with you about your new platforms.
The way you have gone about making them is correct (nice to see it still in use)
but, if you have a look at the previous page, at the coach overhang on the curve, you will be furious with yourself sometime in the future (I say this from experience) that you ever imagined that the distance on that bend from the middle of the coach to the platform was ever acceptable or that anyone could hop or even Olympic long jump that distance (it gives Mind The Gap real meaning)
otherwise
all power to your elbow.
The layout generally is really good
Regards
rocketman

The main issue I have is I want to be able to accommodate 4 coach Mk1 rakes within the complete confines of a station platform. I can't do that unless I either A) Completely destroy the layout in it's entirety and build a new baseboard (where I can either have longer straights, or use streamline track), or B) have the station platforms curve round the bend. Now because I’m not about to completely destroy the baseboard and start again as made out in point A, I have to live with the fact that I can achieve no gentler bends than the current baseboard allows for. I am not angry about this, nor will I get angry about this since I know I can't do anything better than this until such time comes that I move house and have the room for a bigger layout.

In fact I consider this a far better improvement than the previous cheap plastic station, the issues of clearance having already been discussed. I'm sure that you will agree that this type of design fits in to its surroundings a lot better regardless of how big the gap is that the passengers have to mind. I have worked out the clearances so closely to the platform that the carriages in the closest instance are 1mm from the platform edges.

And please do satisfy our curiosity; you do keep referring to your layout (and past layouts) but so far haven't shown us any pictures.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Update o'clock!

I hadn't managed to get anything done over the weekend since I was at some friends in Newbury. However today I finally managed to get the station walls completed and the station platforms ready for painting. Have a butchers:

For the station walls I've used Superquick brick paper. The walls are cut 15mm high, but I also had to cut many more strips than were needed for walls as I obviously needed more to make formers to give the structure a bit of strength. Before I began glueing this on the baseboard I sketched out the outline of the platforms (after double checking the clearances). I opted for a very simple approach of using hot glue and fixing V shaped formers in situ. That way I can form the wall to the correct shape to give the station platform surface that classic overhang. As you can see once the walls were in I added some very simple formers in between the two sides just to give more support for the station platform middle.

This shows roughly how it will look with the station platform in place. As you can see I can fit a four coach rake of mk1's at platform three (that originally could only fit two) with a clearance of 1mm. I'm rather pleased with this! After this photo I’ve painted the platform surfaces, and I’m just waiting for the current coat of paints to dry before I can paint on the white edging.

Once this is done I can get the platform in place, and then start on the next platform! :D

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 pm

Looking good Stu :) (I keep calling you that, have no idea if you dont mind being called Stu or hate it?)

Are you going to have any kind of shelter or canopy on the station for those cold wet winter days?
Chris

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”