The Bridge (The Yeoveney & Colnbridge Railway) - JOGLE

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Re: The Bridge - The Yeoveney and Colnbridge Railway. 1 YEAR OLD

Postby Durseytu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:56 pm

The 25 would be a financially sound option, however of late I’ve been getting tempted about getting a Britannia too! The only problem is that new Hornby Britannia’s cost almost twice that of the 25 it may have to remain on the wish list.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:01 pm

Well mate, I'd suggest the 25 just because it will give you a greater variation in your loco stable. After all, you've got pacifics already (just trying to save you some cash for the short-term mate, lol :lol: ).

In all seriousness though, I'd go for the 25 8)
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:06 pm

I agree the 25 would offer more variation and will compliment the diesels I already have. The Britannia would just fill the role of being a rather lavish piece of eye-candy.

Yes Stuart you can't own everything in a catalogue! :roll: These things are just too dangerous to browse through.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Black-Marlin

Re: The Bridge - The Yeoveney and Colnbridge Railway. UPDATE

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Durseytu wrote:After Gavin's comments, I certainly agreed that the coaling areas at both Yeoveney and Colnbridge yard needed some serious 'coaling up'. I've also decided to make the ballast of the yard a bit more dirty and I’m also trying to make one siding more overgrown than the rest. At first it looks like I’ve over done it a bit, but I’m hoping that once the glue has dried that it shouldn't look so bad. I find that the colours of scatter tend to dull down a bit once the glue has dried.

Hey! Influence at last!

Congratulations, first of all, on your year of Bridge-work. I'm here to throw a spanner in the works :twisted: Namely, I know you want a Britannia but are put off by the price. Have you considered a Clan (which has an identical chassis) for less than £90? As you can see here, such a thing does exist... (I could be tempted myself, actually, but I'm holding on until Hornby releases 'Clan Mackenzie'). By all accounts, the Clan has almost as much haulage capacity as a Brit, but with an even-more-accurate body.

And yes, you may call me Mephistopheles...

Regards,
Gavin

Durseytu

Re: The Bridge - The Yeoveney and Colnbridge Railway. UPDATE

Postby Durseytu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
Durseytu wrote:After Gavin's comments, I certainly agreed that the coaling areas at both Yeoveney and Colnbridge yard needed some serious 'coaling up'. I've also decided to make the ballast of the yard a bit more dirty and I’m also trying to make one siding more overgrown than the rest. At first it looks like I’ve over done it a bit, but I’m hoping that once the glue has dried that it shouldn't look so bad. I find that the colours of scatter tend to dull down a bit once the glue has dried.

Hey! Influence at last!

Congratulations, first of all, on your year of Bridge-work. I'm here to throw a spanner in the works :twisted: Namely, I know you want a Britannia but are put off by the price. Have you considered a Clan (which has an identical chassis) for less than £90? As you can see here, such a thing does exist... (I could be tempted myself, actually, but I'm holding on until Hornby releases 'Clan Mackenzie'). By all accounts, the Clan has almost as much haulage capacity as a Brit, but with an even-more-accurate body.

And yes, you may call me Mephistopheles...

Regards,
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I suddenly thought 'damn you Gavin you are not going to corrupt me that easily', but then I thought about the meaning of Mephistopheles, and I suppose I’m already corrupt so all it takes is a little encouragement. Are you saying that you are trying to warn me against such temptations, and that a Hornby and Bachmann catalogue are the devil?

I did have my eye on Owen Glendower, but I hadn't discounted the possibility of a Clan class either.

And no, you may not call me Faustus :cry:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:21 am

I must stay after following this layout for quite a long time now, that it just gets better and better! and i have to confess your has provided endless inspiration for my own layout :D

I look forward to whatever is around the next bend for Yeoveney and Colnbridge

All the best,
Thomas
"I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:51 am

Cheers Thomas!

Well it looks like my wallet might take a bit of a hammering in the shape of a class 25 and a Britannia/Clan (thank you Gavin). I've checked with my local and they have the 25's in stock so I shall be picking one up tomorrow so expect a few photos. I'm also going to do a little more scenic work tomorrow as I have a new PVA-glue-dispenser-o-matic, and I might have a go at wiring up a few of the points if there is time.

I'm glad that my layout is an inspiration to others, considering I’ve learnt a lot from this forum over the last year. :D

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Stuart, sorry long time commenting on your excellent railway but I have been browsing it often. Get the Class 25 mate you wont regret it. Mine arrived last Saturday and has been merrily trundling around Langley Bridge with ease. Its a cracking good model and is a doddle to work on (decoder fitting) I will be fitting the detail parts to mine later.

The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi Slackers, no worries! And as for the 25...

Ta da! It's literally finished running in so here is a shot of mine going in to the yard to collect a rake of Mk1's. She's a beaut and looks excellent alongside the 47. I'll get some more pictures later on.

I also managed to get a few shots of the coaling area at Yeoveney (after Gavin's suggestions). I think it looks quite good, but let me know what you think:

I'm off for a swim now but I’ll do a bit more work when I get back. I've also got some trees to install (er grow?) so hopefully ill get some more photos up tonight.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:21 pm

You could always try planting your trees instead of installing them :lol:

The 25 looks a beauty and great shots of the coaling stage.

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:36 pm

Hope you like your 25 as much as I like mine. It seems you do. I have to admit not being a huge diesel fan but I thought a class 20 and a 25 would look and work ok. Now all I need is for Bachmann to come up weight the derby Lightweight two car DMU That will make up my full compliment of diesels.

The coaling stage there looks absolutely spot on.. :D great work.

greets sb
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Ah, that 25 looks pretty damn good to me. I think that loco stabing area looks OK too mate, esp as you've tried to make that area nice and messy...maybe it needs an occasional 'top-up' with the weatherig brush just to improve it even more as time pases 8)

Really looking forward to a shot of the 25 bombing over the bridge with a mixed trip freight or suburban passenger service :wink:

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Durseytu wrote:I'm glad that my layout is an inspiration to others, considering I’ve learnt a lot from this forum over the last year. :D

Also means you get pestered by me ;)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi all thanks for the comments,

cmeonthemove wrote:You could always try planting your trees instead of installing them :lol:

Uh yeah... thanks for pointing out the key word that I seemed to miss! :roll:

slackbladder wrote:Hope you like your 25 as much as I like mine. It seems you do. I have to admit not being a huge diesel fan but I thought a class 20 and a 25 would look and work ok. Now all I need is for Bachmann to come up weight the derby Lightweight two car DMU That will make up my full compliment of diesels.

Well you need not worry... I love it! :D I think I’m in the same boat as you with regards to diesels. I'm not a huge fan and rather stick to steam, however I do on occasion enjoy running some of the earlier diesels like the 20's and 25's. The 47 I have is an old favourite. I think I’m done in the way of diesels at the moment, but a DMU might not go amiss some time in the future.

auricom wrote:Also means you get pestered by me ;)

Not a problem, I’d be glad to help!

With regards to work...

I've 'grassed up' the yard to make it look a little more overgrown (does that mean it was in trouble?). Does this look a little over the top? Please bear in mind that its still wet with PVA.

Infrontcat wrote:Really looking forward to a shot of the 25 bombing over the bridge with a mixed trip freight or suburban passenger service :wink:

Ah yes Tim; ask and ye shall receive:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:03 pm

I like the new 25, how does it run?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”