The Bridge (The Yeoveney & Colnbridge Railway) - JOGLE

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sheep21

Re: The Bridge - OO gauge layout

Postby sheep21 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:25 am

a pleasure to read this thread, a really neat and fun to use layout, you make your progress look effortless. Your writing style is bang on as well, light and humorous yet informative.

Top thread.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 pm

sheep21 wrote:a pleasure to read this thread, a really neat and fun to use layout, you make your progress look effortless. Your writing style is bang on as well, light and humorous yet informative.

Top thread.

Thanks sheep21, its always encouraging receiving positive feedback. I'm a bit particular with my writing; I tell my father off for not using proper spelling and punctuation in his text messages! The idea of the layout was to be simple to operate allowing the user (well that would be me :P ) to just sit back and watch trains run (with beer in hand), or get involved and do a bit of shunting here and there.

With regards to progress, one thing my updates doesn't really show is the amount of procrastination that goes on when working on the layout. It does seem to take an amazingly long amount of time to just accomplish one task. I feels like I spend about 80% of the time playing with trains, 15% mincing about what to do with the layout and 5% actually modelling! :oops:

Cheers,

Stuart.

Update soon to follow...
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm

Update Time!

Okay so this isn't going to be as big an update as I was expecting. I've done quite a bit to the layout; however upon loading the photos onto my computer, I was dismayed to find out that most of the pictures were way out of focus. The snappy snap wont cut it; I should have used the DSLR! :cry:

Anyway the few shots that did come out; first a bit of fun with trains:

1764 at the head of a four maroon rake passing the new back board. I'm hoping that once I have new lighting installed in the loft the shadows of the pylons against it wont be so noticeable. If it doesn't they may have to be moved.

80118 honoured to be pulling Tornado's rake.

46520 pulling two new Thompson crimson creams on its way to Bridgend station (on the branchline).

Now for a bit of work (that I can show anyway :x ):

Those who are familiar with this area will notice that some trees are missing. Blown down in a storm perhaps? No I just got fed up with their moth-eaten look. Contrary to what I earlier said about trying to recycle bits from the childhood layout, I have since decided to replace them with some new trees. There are more to go in here, especially between the branch and mainline, however I’m waiting for the scatter to dry that I had to lay to hide the damage of tearing up the old trees.

I've finally got around to laying scatter this side of the fence. Once dry I’ll touch up the paint on the road and back board. Then I will be able to add the odd pedestrian/car/other. I'm thinking of moving the water tower in between both the tracks here away from where it is alongside the fence. While this prevents mischievous kids from pulling on the valve handle, it will also give me a chance to rust it up a bit with some acrylic paint.

Since they were the only two good photos, now to introduce my latest locomotive:

When I first saw Hornby's image of 60010 Dominion of Canada I decided I must have it. Here she is on her maiden voyage on the layout pulling the Tornado rake!

Against the setting... erm... lamp! :roll:

Powering towards the bridge.

60010 is an excellent model; much more detailed then my older A4 Lord Faringdon. My only complaint is with Hornby's attempt on the Cartazzi wheel assembly. They have given it fixed wheels without flanges, which on the bends you can see them overhanging quite a bit (you can see this on the first photo). It’s a shame it hasn't got a sliding set of wheels like on the Bachy Peppercorn A1.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

jamest

Re: The Bridge - New loco!

Postby jamest » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 am

Hi,

Top work!

The scenery looks great - you must be very pleased with it. Its always nice to view the photos you take of your layout, I find they show you a scenic snapshot you never see yourself when you are working and playing with the layout.

You have a nice stud of loco's and stock building up too.

Cheers,
James

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Cheers James.

I agree, I love the photo shots that make it look like it’s from a scale person’s point of view standing in the layout. They seem to make the locos and the layout look much more realistic than those taken from the operator’s point of view. The loco fleet is certainly growing too, although there are so many more I want to get, and the wallet rarely allows it. The boss is as yet unaware of this latest addition! Ut oh! :o

Update time! :D

I thought I would make this update with a sort of theme, ‘then and now’. This idea came around when I was looking back at the start of this thread to see what the layout looked like. I decided to recreate some of the very basic shots from page one and show them alongside how the layout now looks; so its going to be a big'un. Enjoy...

Bridgeton Station:

The level crossing:

The bridge (I’ve painted the bridge here, and will soon be rusting it up a bit):

Bridgend Station (note that I have added a lot more vegetation, finished off the road to the station, and I’ve moved and painted the water tower):

Back corner (more veg here):

Back of layout leading to Bridgeton Station (I’ve added some scatter to the back of the layout and a bit of vegetation to hide the screw holes):

And the yard (this sort of serves more like a pretty fiddle yard):

Cheers,

Stuart.
Last edited by Durseytu on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Oh and a couple of gratuitous shots of Tornado and Dominion of Canada I forgot to add...

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Just caught up on this thread and I must say I really like the work that's gone into this. The bridge looks excellent and the scenery is coming along very nicely.

Durseytu

Re: The Bridge - New update, then and now theme!

Postby Durseytu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind comments. It’s quite amazing how long you can spend laying a tiny area of grass. I wonder how many hours I have poured into this getting my fingers grubby with PVA glue. It’s true that making the layout is part of the fun.

As for the layout, the next few tasks I have are quite big. I have just managed to get some strip lights, which time forbidding, I will be able to install in the loft and get rid of all the power hungry lamps. This will give me some decent illumination from above rather than from side which casts shadows all over the layout.

Once I have got that done I will begin work on the hills in the two far corners which I now have a good supply of waste timber and bubble wrap. I just need to get plaster for it.

I'll be sure to post some pictures when I do (I’m quite looking forward to seeing how photos of the layout will turn out when I have a decent light source).

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:21 am

Yes it certainly is suprising how long you can spend working on a small area. I've just spent the last 3 days detailing a small setting measuring 30x15cm (with more still to do)! It's certainly a good way of winding down after a long hard day.

Look forward to seeing those pics when your lighting is sorted.

Ciotog

Postby Ciotog » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:32 pm

What a transformation!
Great work- I think that the blue backscene and the ploughed fields look smashing!
Keep up the good work,Stuart.

Liam

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Brilliant work chap, liked that you showed before and after work photos, as mentioned already, the transformation is brilliant, i like the linking bridge that forms the main loop, gives a good circuit for Tornado and Dominion of Canada to stretch their wheels on. thanks for sharing. :D

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:01 pm

an absolute bonza of a layout... love it :P
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:22 pm

I think you have done great with this
it really tempts me.
I have always been torn between the sort of thing that you do so well and the sort of thing that john geeee does
I think it always comes down somewhere in between for me
but that only makes what you do more interesting
and I love the whole layout
rocketman

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi all,

Sorry for not responding yesterday to the earlier posts. I’d let this one drop a bit on the homepage and didn't notice the new posts until now. Thanks for all the kind comments; a bit of encouragement always helps to keep focussed on the task at hand!

I'm off work this Thursday and Friday so I am hoping to get a lot done to the layout; however I’m not certain I will be able to tackle the light just yet. It’s not a job that I can do on my own since I need two people (myself, and I’ve roped my father in to helping) as its not possible to stand in the centre of the room. The layout does get in the way after all, and it is not designed to take a persons full weight! My parents are away this week; however my father will be visiting next weekend so I might be able to get it done then.

Still I have timber, bubble wrap, glue and hurrah some plaster at last so the plan is to work on the hills in the back corners. Expect to see another update of this and a bit of train photography too. I've also been experimenting with videos, although I’m still pants at it, but I might try and upload a short clip too.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:56 pm

Its very impressive dude, i just hope no one walks into the bridge :P :P

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”