The Bridge (The Yeoveney & Colnbridge Railway) - JOGLE

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

The Bridge (The Yeoveney & Colnbridge Railway) - JOGLE

Postby Durseytu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:34 pm

New edit to page 1 post 1. Considering the size that the The Bridge has grown to, I've decided to edit this post to include a contents page of significant happenings throughout this thread for people to refer to should they wish. Please bear in mind that over time inaccuracies may occur, as I know from the experience of other members of the forum that old posts can sometimes get deleted in order to clear up forum space. I shall try and keep this page updated should this happen, but a contents page isn't high on my list of priorities.

(The contents of this original post has now been amalgamated with the second post of this thread).

The Bridge - The Yeoveney and Colnbridge Railway Contents Page

Page 1 - The beginning; end of the old and the start of The Bridge (includes track plan)
Page 2 - Crashed cars and the start of ballasting
Page 3 - A new Class 47, completion of ballasting and the town starts to appear
Page 4 - Problems with the bridge
Page 5 - The first field arrives, and the position of the town is decided
Page 6 - An unexpected train crash!
Page 7 - Tornado gets its bits, more greenery, chocolate bunnies and beer, and more problems with the bridge
Page 8 - Work on the beer garden, the yard, and we get a scenic backing appear
Page 9 - A new arrival, and the first before and after photos
Page 10 - Hills!
Page 12 - Tornado with a coal train, new lighting installed, and we see a new arrival of Black Watch
Page 13 - The first attempt at trying to improve photography, and the first hill is coming along nicely
Page 14 - The first videos of the layout
Page 15 - Tornado pulls a blue A4, and the second hill gets grass planted
Page 16 - Fixing an M7, the first light signal, and 82021 arrives
Page 17 - It's Christmas!
Page 18 - An important one; the beer garden is completed
Page 20 - 82021 has some detail added, and some proper signals are put together
Page 21 - The first decent colour light signal is installed
Page 22 - Trying to tidy up the electronics control panel
Page 23 - Another new arrival, and trying to grass up the yard a bit
Page 25 - More on photography, adjusting depth of field
Page 26 - The loco fleet
Page 28 - Installing new stations at Colnbridge
Page 30 - The first platform is in place
Page 32 - A new camera
Page 33 - Another video watching the trains go by
Page 34 - Load music version of the video, green paint, and some pretty pictures
Page 35 - LNER Pacific's at Colnbridge
Page 36 - Shots of some of the prototypes, and the Hornby footbridge is gone
Page 37 - Night shots, and a new access to Colnbridge station is devised instead of the footbridge
Page 38 - Plans to alter Yeoveney station
Page 39 - Absence, and eventual return to modelling after a bad few months
Page 41 - Injury, and the end of the old Yeoveney branch layout
Page 42 - Structures move, new goodies arrive (including a DMU) and a new platform at Yeoveney begins to arise

Cheers,

Stuart
Last edited by Durseytu on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 50 times in total.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Re: Templedene OO guage first layout

Postby Durseytu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

Post number one...

Hi everyone!

I've been looking at your layouts on this forum for a while now and I've finally got round to posting pictures of my own. Please feel free to comment; I'm a bit of a novice so any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. A bit of history... my first layout was built by my father while I was a kid which I enjoyed for a long time. However one fateful evening there was an incident where the roof fell on it. Since then we tried to build a new layout in the loft of my family's old house however the beams could not take the weight and the project was shelved for well over a decade.

I had recently moved and in the process of moving all the detritus that builds up over a while I found all my old railway rolling stock. I decided to build a railway, but since I had never made one before myself... well as you can see I had no idea what I was in for. One thing I hadn't quite expected was how long it takes to make the scenery!

Anyway here we go...

In the same situation where the beams in the loft were not load bearing, I designed a baseboard that could in essence support itself. Most of the weight goes through the far wall where it bolted on. The main baseboard comes out in the very centre of the loft space where the end can be supported on the brick wall of the front and back wall. (I haven't fitted all of the legs yet before you ask).

I also wanted to make a branch line so this is supported along the back wall and the roof support beams. The corners have very simple legs designed to stop the far edges sagging.

This was back in August when it was bright, warm and sunny!

More to follow...

Continuing on from post one...

Wahey the pictures work!

Anyway here we go... (and I've had a few beers tonight so please forgive any mistakes!)

After a while working in the loft this was what I cam up with. I have a double track mainline on the main baseboard with a yard in the centre and a branch line waiting to be connected on the smaller baseboard. There is tons more to do....

After a bit more work this is what I came up with for the yard and station. I was quite pleased with the station that I built myself. Most of the structures are Superquick as you can see. Much fiddly work and burnt fingers with a glue gun and they look fantastic. Although I was annoyed to discover that the two road engine shed was designed for streamline spacing. Even with quite a bit of bullying of the setrack bends you still can't get two tracks in it!

And the cows in the freight carriages were a bit of a joke on the part of the boss!

It wasn't me...honest! Although it did provide a bit of mirth with the camera. I think they stayed in there for a while.

However after a while I was getting increasingly fed up with the design. The guy in the railway shop said that in six months time I would be back rebuilding the layout. I assured him that that was not the case, however six months down the line this is what happened...

Basically I was annoyed how difficult it was to connect that branchline (it required a bridge and raised section) and that the mainline was made out of radius 1 and 2 bends. Some of my locos didn't like the rad 1 and where de-railing, especially on the switchback near the branchline junction (sorry I don't have any good photos of it).

Looking at what everyone has come up with here I wanted to have built the railway around the room instead of on a rectangular board in the middle of it. Not wanting to completely rebuild it I have however come up with a compromise...

This is the design I have come up with for the new layout. Basically the branch line on the second baseboard is much reduced as the mainline now runs down it and crosses back via a bridge which makes a sort of operating well in the gap between the two boards. While there is less scope for shunting work on a branch line, I have more track to run locos on the mainline, and they can run at quite a speed as radius 1 bends have been banned. Radius 2 bends are a minimum on this layout now!
Last edited by Durseytu on Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Zebra

Postby Zebra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:06 pm

I was quite impressed by the first layout,but I agree your second design looks much better.
Look forward to seeing your progress.

Steve.
Do you hear the voices too???

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:10 pm

Track has been arranged and the electrics are coming along nicely. This layout is non-dcc, partly since I have no experience with this, its not a big layout, and I have some very old stock and a very nice guagemaster controller. Basically all I need to do to the layout structurraly is build the bridge which didn't take too much effort as I have used the peco plastic bridge sections glued on to a piece of mdf joining the two boards. Simple.

I'm sorry I don't have very many pictures for the layout. I have just got a new camera which is all shiny however I am still learning to deal with focus and light in an enclosed dark space so most of the pictures I have taken have been rejected. Funny thing is my phone is currently taking better pictures upstairs than the camera is... here are a few.

Having just got bonus for Christmas I treated myself to Tornado. Shouldn't have really since the layout is meant to be 50's era steam and early diesel! This is a picture of Tornado taking the maiden voyage over the just completed bridge (it was the first loco to go across powered). The bridge needs a bit of paint and weathering work. But as it is at the moment I'm happy, and will come back to it once I have got the majority of scenery made on the rest of the layout.

Ironically this image could never have happened as 'Lord Faringdon' passes 'Tornado' on the bridge. 'Lord Faringdon' in reality was scrapped long before 'Tornado' its class predecessor was ever built! Tornado is simply fantastic and is one of my favourites. Its so detailed!

Anyway this is as far as I am currently. I have a bit more ballasting done although i'm hoping to get quite a few more shots done when I have more scenery work done.

Thanks for looking and any comments are welcome.

Kind regards,

Stu.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 pm

A few more I have found that are good...

8164 heads through Templedene station (still carrying cows instead of coal). Its a low down shot and I like it since you can see a lot of coaches in the yard in the background.

8164 passes towering structures of washing up liquid (makes a nice pva glue dispenser). Does Lord Faringdon realise that this smaller diesel loco thats about to pass by will be the future and that its own days are numberred?

And for those interested this is what the old branch line would and did look like. Sadly there is no photo evidence to suggest it existed but I can assure you the track was laid although there were no powerred locos that ever got the chance to run on it!
ImageImage

Durseytu

Re: The Bridge (old name Templedene) OO guage layout

Postby Durseytu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Hello all...

Right I've finally got "upstairs" on a day off to take some pics and make a few updates now that it seems to have warmed up a bit. Winter is such an unfriendly time for railways when yours is in the loft.

Anyway I have managed to get the entire track down and worked out all the electronics. There doesn't appear to be any problems with the layout or cable configuration, however I found two quirks where I needed to install a track isolator to stop the loco waiting on the outside loop of the mainline move when I was moving a train across the mainline from the branchline. The second was more bizarre where engines in the engine shed would move even though the entrance to the yard and branchline from the mainline where closed. This caused a bit of head scratching to find that a circuit was created through the cables under the baseboard from the outside line of the branchline and the inside line of the yard. To solve this I just close the point leading to the engine shed.

Anyway here we go...

I found this on my smaller camera (that I have used this time) that shows the sharp bend on the old mainline. The insides were first radius and a few locos didn't like them. I was about to remove them and remake them as streamline track, although this was never completed as I decided to re-do the whole layout.

This shows the main station straight. I'm still waiting on the platform pieces to complete the outside platform. FYI I don't support Espanyol. I tend to collect mugs from all sorts of teams where I have gone to see a game!

The bend leading from the platform straight up to the bridge. I'm a bit worried about this bend as it's the only place where a loco could potentially take a nasty plunge over the edge. I'm thinking of installing a perspex screen here to solve this.

The Bridge. I didn't like the temporary name I'd given the layout (named after the road I live on) and wanted something with a bit more imagination. So for now it's named after the layouts main feature. Trouble is I run LMS, LNER, locos that featured on Southern and I fancied getting some NSE diesels so it doesn't really represent anywhere specific!

The branchline. As you can see I've started ballasting here.

Where the branchline meets the mainline.

The mainline along the back wall. This shows where the yard comes off and the start of the third road leading to the mainline station.

Overall view of the yard.

The engine sheds location on the yard.

A close up of the engine shed housing Lord Faringdon and Tornado. This is to show my use of streamline and peco Y turnout to get the right track width to get two tracks in the engine shed.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

More to follow...

...Stu
ImageImage

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

Thats a very impressive layout you have there! :shock: :)
The rebuild was the right choice to make,what an improvement.
Keep us posted. :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you for posting those pics. I am thinking about something similar in scale. Can you please give the overall dimensions (unless I missed them) I have about 8x6 ft
rocketman

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

Rocketman... I shall get the proper dimensions for you tomorrow (they are up in the loft and i'm not going up there now) when I get back from work. Off the top of my head for you now the railway is made up of three boards. The main board that runs down the centre of the room is 8' by 4', the branch is 6' by 2' although this a bit longer since the third board in the corner is about 3' 7" by 7.5". As a result the branchline baseboard is about 6' 7.5" long from the back wall, and there is about a 1' 7.5" gap between the main board and the branchline board.

I will try and make this for you in a proper diagram tomorrow night when I can get the paperwork when I get home from work.

(I just tried to draw that in ascii art... it looked amazing until I hit submit and then it was all over the place) :cry:

I'm sure you would fit the same design mainline in your space just without the branchline down the side...

Stu.
ImageImage

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm

dont worry about if you think it isn't 100% prototypical as its your layout you get to choose right from wrong ;)
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 pm

trainsandco wrote:dont worry about if you think it isn't 100% prototypical as its your layout you get to choose right from wrong ;)

I was slightly stuck on the idea of basing the first layout on one particular area and theme, but there are so many shiny locos that I want to buy so I knew that it was never going to be that way. If I have to make an excuse it's a glorified preservation line so I guess I get to run whatever I want! :D

And for Rocketman...

FIgures are in feet. I would want a little more than 6' width to comfortably fit a similar mainline on yours, although I have left a large amount of room at the top near the station straight between track and baseboard edge to allow for a wide platform. WIth a little tweaking of the design it should fit comfortably in a 8x6' space minus the branchline.

Most track is peco/hornby OO setrack, although there is some streamline use on the mainline on both sides of the bridge, the bend of the third station road, the connnection of the branch and mainline and engine shed.

Kind regards,

Stu.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:26 pm

Oh yeah and a bit of streamline in the central siding of the yard to get the spacing on the points correct. Streamline is very useful in solving what would otherwise be tricky setrack problems, only it's quite fiddly to begin with... and cutting is a pain when all you have is a hacksaw.

As it turns out some ancient pieces of hornby setrack that are no longer in use are very useful for cutting up to get the sleeper ends to fill in the gaps at the end of each streamline piece.

Stu.
ImageImage

Durseytu

Postby Durseytu » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 am

Alas I don't think i'm going to get anything done on the layout this weekend. My brother crashed his car so i'm up visiting for the weekend helping out :cry:
ImageImage

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:37 am

brothers eh? :roll: :P

is he ok?
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:20 am

Thank you very much for the layout plan. It is sufficiently similar to what I was thinking about and will make it easier for me to plan mine more accurately.
rocketman

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”