The Maidenfield Railway - OO - Modern, Diesel, UK

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Hopefully the last photo-less update: got the frame together, and putting the MDF on. Photos to follow.

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:34 pm

About the tank wagons you have by Hornby, if you take the laddering off and carefully remove the tank from the base, the two sides of the tank should come apart away easily. Then add some weight, put it back together and there you go.

SHaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:18 pm

mortyfootball wrote:About the tank wagons you have by Hornby, if you take the laddering off and carefully remove the tank from the base, the two sides of the tank should come apart away easily. Then add some weight, put it back together and there you go.
SHaun

Excellent, will give that a go! Thanks!

Further update: the frame is completely together now. Only the base board (MDF sheets of 8x4, 8x4, 4x3 and 4x2) need to be added. Am going to leave that tomorrow as am going to let the glue set overnight and then sand/plane/file any uneven bits that appear tomorrow before getting the MDF on top.

Baseboard-building is harder than I thought!!!

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Just another thought about the tanks, the Bachmann ones are much better if you wanted to get one of them instead of messing around with the Hornby ones. Still, adding weight to the Hornby one is really easy.

Shaun

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:26 pm

mortyfootball wrote:Just another thought about the tanks, the Bachmann ones are much better if you wanted to get one of them instead of messing around with the Hornby ones. Still, adding weight to the Hornby one is really easy.

Yeah - my Hornby wagons date from ~early 1990s - and I've recently picked up four or five Bachmann wagons and they do indeed have much more detail.

I'm currently saving up for a Class 166 DMU from Bachmann (£74.50 is the best price I could find) and so any new wagons will be a while coming!!! But thanks again for the weight tip - I always remember them simply being pulled 'over' the track rather than along it...

Imberclub

Postby Imberclub » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Whilst on the subject of the hornby tank wagons, i have three and find they ride up over my peco points (code 75), if i were to replace these with metal wheels (they are currently plastic), do you think this would help?

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Yes, metal wheels are always better than plastic, plus a bit of weight would help too.

Shaun

Imberclub

Postby Imberclub » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 pm

Thanks, i tried fitting some of the metal wheels i got with a plastic kit and found these did not run freely. As this is a hornby wagon, do you suggest i get some hornby wheels.

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:38 pm

If the Hornby ones are the only ones that fit, get the metal ones of those. Usually at exhibitions, traders have tubs of these on sale at good prices, maybe worth a look next time you are at one.

You also say that you have code 75 rails, so whatever wheels you do get, make sure they have been made recently as the older wheels have longer flanges (the part that keeps the wheel on the rail), which makes them hit the sleepers and could be derailling the tank wagons.

SHaun

Imberclub

Postby Imberclub » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Thanks, i think i'll get a bag off Hattons, i've got a couple of wagons that could do with new wheels. Many thanks

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Imberclub wrote:Many thanks

Np problem!

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:01 pm

Back to topic, any more updates for the Maidenfield railway?

Shaun

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:29 pm

mortyfootball wrote:Back to topic, any more updates for the Maidenfield railway?

Indeed there are. Just finished for today - and have taken a couple of photos.

The first shows the virtually finished baseboard (12ft x 8ft softwood frame supporting MDF boards). The white bits are polyfilla to cover screw halls and any gaps.
The photo below is the same photo but have overlaid my plans onto it, so hopefully you'll have a better idea of what I hope to achieve. To be honest, I was somewhat surprised at how tricky constructing a large baseboard can be (especially when the wood supplied is a little warped!!!).

In case anyone's wondering: the box of chocolates is empty... :( (not that I like Roses...)

Hope to sand off any excess polyfilla tomorrow, and then seal/prime the MDF ready for finalising the layout. Will then proceed (not neccessarily all in the same day :lol: ) to lay cork where the track will be, and then paint the board the various colours appropriate to the various terrain/purpose, before then laying the track, ballasting it, adding the scenery etc. etc.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:31 pm

Looking good - a job well done 8)

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:32 pm

A good start there. From the looks of your plan you have a long way to go. What will the middle be used for? Is this where you'll sit, or will it fit around something?

Shaun

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”