The Maidenfield Railway - OO - Modern, Diesel, UK

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
westbrom

Postby westbrom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:16 pm

Great vid rmg, layouts coming along nicely.

Neil

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:50 pm

One more for luck (as I may be rather busy on non-layout stuff the next month or two) :cry:

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:19 pm

Another great video there, not sure on the music though :P. I like the shots from just inside the tunnel, different to many views you get of trains :).

Danny.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Metheringham wrote:not sure on the music though :P

Was going to use Moby... and then got listening to Propellorheads... and I think I settled on Shirley as she was the only propheads track to fit 4 mins lol. will think twice in future :wink:

EDIT: And I've created a running formations page for my layout so people can see what I run (and hope to run).

http://tinyurl.com/3cmkqy

davek

Postby davek » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Oooo! Nice graphics were did you get them?

Class 60

Postby Class 60 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Great Vid once again mate 8)

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 pm

davek wrote:Oooo! Nice graphics were did you get them?

I think it was from something called Notwork Rail, or Network Fail? Something like that anyway. I'm sure they won't mind. :lol:

Anyway, am going to make a start on my Hornby Class 67 lighting project. The plan is to supplement the existing headlights with working tail lights and to also add the third light located at the top of the cab. Sadly I don't think I have the skill/gear to fix the thin (marker?) lights.

At each end of the 67 chassis is a small circuit board with one white LED mounted. This is the source of all light at present.

The light is then channeled through the bit of plastic to the two headlights. The red circles indicate areas to be drilled to allow the installation of extra lighting.

From the front, we can see that the tail lights are currently printed, as is the third light on the top. I plan to drill through these printed details and then install two red LEDs for the tail lights, and one white LED for the third light.

The circuit board mounted atop the motor provides additional outputs for LEDs (so perhaps in future the 67 will see the body reworked to allow for tail lights and the third light). This does, however, make my life easier, as I can just wire the lights into the existing terminals.

These terminals are as follows:

END #1 ................................................ END #2

[-----------------------------------------------------]
[-----------------MOTOR-AND-PCB---------------]
[-----------------------------------------------------]

At #1 end of the PCB:

LED1 +ve ] currently
LED1 -ve ] unused

LED3 +ve ] currently
LED3 -ve ] used for headlights at #1 end

At #2 end of the PCB:

LED2 +ve ] currently
LED2 -ve ] used for headlights at #2 end

LED4 +ve ] currently
LED4 -ve ] unused

At first glance there appears to be plenty of room beneath the cab, but closer inspection reveals that the small vertically-mounted PCB at each end of the loco with the white LED attached fits flush with the cab, meaning that to install the tail lights holes will need to be drilled in the small PCB in order to feed power to the tail lights. This, in turn, shall require some careful planning as the small PCB sits directly in front of the top of the bogeys and therefore wires must not be able to interfere with it.

An alternative (and perhaps better) way forward is to drill holes in the back of the cab wall, and holes in the bottom of the cab floor (see green circles in 2nd photo above). Through these holes power to the red tail lights can be sent allowing the location of tail lights in the area beneath the cab floor and in front of the vertically-mounted PCB.

The red printed tail lights are approximately 1.25mm in diameter. They are thus unable to accept 2mm lighthouse LEDs directly. I shall therefore drill 1mm holes through the printed detail and through the plastic glass "lens" behind. I shall then carefully drill a 2mm hole through the plastic glass "lens" - but not all the way through the body shell. I shall then paint the inside of the drilled hole, and the area immediately surrounding the hole black to prevent light leakage. I shall then wire up some LEDs, and feed power through the cab to them. These 2mm lighthouse LEDs shall then sit snugly in the 2mm 'semi-holes'. They can be additionally secured in place through the use of some blu-tac or similar.

Thus, the tail lights shall be body mounted, while the perfectly satisfactory headlight shall remain chassis-mounted. In terms of the third head light, this is about the same size as the other head lights (i.e. ~2mm). I shall use a 2mm white lighthouse LED for this and it shall be nudged through the body shell to be flush with the shell, and shall be secured in place at the back wall of the cab to prevent it slipping out of place.

That's the plan anyway.

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm

great vid RMG! That 57 is real fast. Nice idea too with the running formations, I thought those pics were the Hornby catalouge ones though.
Good luck also with the lighting, you certainly seem to have a talent for it from the other Locos. This one should own the road!
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:49 am

Great vid RMG

Am I the only one that loves that Propeller heads song then? :(

Like the subtle "History Repeating" coinciding with the train doing exactly the same shot. Nice touch mate :wink:

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

davek

Postby davek » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 am

Metrocamel wrote:I thought those pics were the Hornby catalouge ones though.

Cheers!

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:55 pm

On the hornby catalogue images... didn't know what else to use!!

Anyway, more good news, the backscene arrived today. Looks really good:

Each sheet is slightly larger than A3 (including borders) - and exactly A3 without the borders. Looking forward to getting it in place!!

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Very atmospheric!
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 pm

You may have said before, but where are those backscenes from. They dont look like peco

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:18 pm

From a chap on ebay. £9.99 for 8 A3 sheets worth. Each sheet lines up with the last. Link to listings: http://tinyurl.com/yueljv

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:49 pm

cheers, very nice and would do a great job.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”