The Maidenfield Railway - OO - Modern, Diesel, UK

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BrotherWolf

Postby BrotherWolf » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:38 pm

rmg1919 wrote:....... In terms of the curvy sections I'm currently undecided between going for the matching Peco Brick Platform Edging LK60 (topped with my attempt at cardboard tarmac) or whether to just do the entire curvy bits in card... Will probably end up buying a couple of LK60 units and seeing how they handle.

Thanks for that. I may join you in the experimentation. I've also been looking at Metcalf Models platforms which look easy enough to curve.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Went out for about 20 mins to play around with some ballast... Here were the results...

Q. Does this load look realistic for an HEA hopper wagon?

Same load... different hopper...

Below: overhead shot of the freight TMD yard... the red track at the bottom left leads to a loco inspection pit and maintenance shed... or will do anyway.

My 7 HEAs... the 3 furthest to the right are my latest acquisitions...

Finally, a close-up of a bit of ballast... To be honest, I'm not very happy with the colour. I shall probably mix it with something a shade darker... and maybe throw in a handful of browny/rusty/sandy coloured ballast too... just to get it looking a bit more "real"... otherwise it's just too uniform.

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:27 pm

Nice work, pitty about the different coloured sleapers on the points though.

Danny.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:48 pm

Metheringham wrote:Nice work, pitty about the different coloured sleapers on the points though.

I know what you mean... Sadly Peco don't do points with concrete sleepers so didn't have much choice. Once I've toned down the wooden sleepers, and added ballast, and weathered the track it shouldn't stand out so much and will hopefully look ok.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:22 am

Have you considered using railmatch concrete paint?

If you put it on the edges, then the middle's grimey, it'd look really good, and be unique :wink:

I can see you'd have quite a few to do though...

Mikol

Postby Mikol » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:33 am

hey rmg,

had a go a that signal gantry yet?

nice pics btw :D

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:51 am

dr5euss wrote:Have you considered using railmatch concrete paint?

Yes, have contemplated it.

If you put it on the edges, then the middle's grimey, it'd look really good, and be unique :wink:

Yup, good plan.

I can see you'd have quite a few to do though...

If I do go down this route, I'll probably only do it for the points on the high speed lines... just to keep things a little more prototypical... and to save myself the hardship of painting god knows how many points!!!

mikol wrote:had a go a that signal gantry yet?

well, i've been a bit busy with various things, and have still some work to do on it. i'm currently at the 'nearly-all-painted' but needs weathering stage... and the paint i used (despite claiming to be matt!) is a little too glossy... i'm also still waiting on getting in the electrical bits and bobs... have had no luck sourcing some of that really thin wire... and i want to place the order in one big hit, so am waiting until i know more precisely what other electrical stuff i'm going to do. rest assured, photos will appear eventually!

heinz

Postby heinz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:42 am

Looking great!

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks.

Latest news, I've put my tunnel portals in place... have picked up some more track (as had run out) and so (with a bit of luck) will not be long before the entirety of the track is finished.

Minor setback: the cheap £20 18V drill from B+Q packed up today... the auto-locking drill bit thing has for some reason stuck and so can't loosen or tighten it to place bits in. Will be taking it back and seeing about getting a replacement.... only had it a month.

Also have acquired some more stuff: Heljan FGW Class 57 and hopefully a few more wagons.

What else... also been spraying ballast far and wide... just to see what looks good, and what doesn't. Next steps, are to begin building the framework to support the landscape above the tunnel and to finish drilling holes for electrics. I've also been thinking I'll probably just buy the cheapest DCC power unit I can find... I'm not going to be in any great hurry to go all high-tech. Anyway, here are some photos...

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:04 pm

Excellent work your doing there keep it up nice pics :wink:

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:14 pm

Nice pictures there, you're layout is making good progress. It'd be good to watch the HST's lights light up the tunnel on it's way through once it is done.

Danny.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:23 pm

Metheringham wrote:It'd be good to watch the HST's lights light up the tunnel on it's way through once it is done.

Yeah, I can't wait to get it all finished and have four trains whizzing round... all with lights... in the twilight... and a shunter busy in the sidings...

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:36 pm

Some good shots there, things are progressing well

Lofty

Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:14 pm

Nice stuff dude.
Just wodnering what grey ballast was used in earlier pics...faller stuff (if so any idea what type and whee it can be sourced?) I really like to look of it against the sleepers.
Slowly building a BR 1960s/1970s LMR Diesel layout....
Update: Track laying in progress

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 pm

Nice going mate

It's starting to take shape slowly but surely. Get a bit of station done, that's what I say. Always makes me feel better anyhow! Also, it's usually a (if not THE) focal point of a layout, so I'm very careful with stations.

I just put in a platform that I'm near certain of and then, whilst I'm doing another part, I occasionally mull and muse at the station, setting up points one way then another, just so I'm sure it will function the way I want it to. I guess you could say the best final plans are those drawn up in 1:1!

Love the long straghts too :)

Cheers,

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”