The Maidenfield Railway - OO - Modern, Diesel, UK

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
rmg1919

Re: The Maidenfield Railway - OO - Modern, Diesel, UK

Postby rmg1919 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:18 pm

So, there has been some progress on the layout recently. I've dusted it off and started to re-lay some of the track that I had to take up to sort out some baseboard issues. I also got enough wired up again that I could send a loco round on the outer loop, with the following photos showing one of my EWS 66s having its first outing on the layout:

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:02 pm

Welcome back, one of the great modern image layouts returns!

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:00 am

Two gronks arrived today - as did a new Shed. I felt it was time for a new video. Not the most exciting, but felt the arrival of 2 x Class 08s merited some fanfare - especially given how impressive the detail is on them... Well done Hornby!

Hoping to get them on the layout proper at the weekend.

lairadepot

Postby lairadepot » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 am

hi ya
well done on the work so far on maidenfield and i am well jealous as you have virgin and fgw coaches my rolling stock needs a big irprovement.
and i love the shunters at work cant wait to see them in full working order on the layout
laira depot

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:53 pm

I've not noticed this thread before but the pictures on the last couple of pages look promising. I like the look of that junction :)

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:35 pm

lairadepot wrote:hi ya
well done on the work so far on maidenfield and i am well jealous as you have virgin and fgw coaches my rolling stock needs a big irprovement.
and i love the shunters at work cant wait to see them in full working order on the layout
laira depot

Yeah, my rolling stock was pretty much non-existent until relatively recently as I sold all my old shortie Mk3s, and had not really got round to replacing them. I do however now have enough Virgin mk3s to make a decent HST ( power cars + 4 coaches, i think), 3 or 4 FGW fag packet mk2s, but only 1 FGW Mk3 (buffet). My wagon population has exploded recently, and I have plenty of my favourites Bachy HEAs, MFAs and some Railtrack PNAs. I've always wanted to get some Bachy JGAs, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that they would probably be too big to have a decent length train on my layout...

zabdiel wrote:I've not noticed this thread before but the pictures on the last couple of pages look promising. I like the look of that junction :)

Zabdiel, yeah, I had a bit of a break in modelling... almost 12 months I think... but have finally got back into it. I shall try and do a track layout so you can see what the whole thing looks like... ...watch this space!

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:16 am

rmg1919 wrote:I've always wanted to get some Bachy JGAs, but the more I think about it, the more I realise that they would probably be too big to have a decent length train on my layout...
I'd though about that too. Those and the HAAs both start worknig out being quite expensive for even a half decent train of say 10 wagons. I'm not sure that they would run trains anywhere near that short or the real railway.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:22 pm

Exciting developments... look what arrived recently.... I have to say Hornby's new HST is _G_R_E_A_T_! My amazing girlfriend bought it for me (how awesome) -- for Christmas... and I know it's not yet Christmas yet, but she wanted to give me them before she had to head home, so here they are:

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:57 pm

Sadly progress on the main layout remains slow/nil. I continue to build up my rolling stock and loco fleet though, with recent Class 37 and Class 60 additions - plus a couple more mk3 trailers. Hopefully, as the summer arrives, I'll get stuck into the layout again.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Good news! With some nice weather a return to the layout. I've managed to re-lay almost all the track now, except for a few sidings in the TMD, which I can't redo until I find my soldering iron! I also spent some time running in a couple of locos and also finally getting round to putting a replacement (Lima) body on my Hornby Class 67. Some may recall that I bought it off ebay, only to discover half the body had melted!!

I'm hopeful of making some significant progress over the next week, so hopefully there'll be some further updates soon, and perhaps some _real_ progress at last!!

And so, to the photos:

From right-to-left, 8 of the rail lines are now back in situ and electrically working. Some final alignment remains to be completed (as you can see from the wavy nature of the mainlines!). The tracks on extreme left are the only ones that are currently unusable.

This shot gives a nice overview of the reconstructed mainlines and TMD:

A recent class 60 addition:

And the same 60 from a different angle:

The rebodied class 67:

The 67 with a couple of new Bachy 37s in the background:

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 pm

First time I've had chance to look at this thread and it looks like an interesting layout.
Not managed to read all of the thread - maybe later.
I look forward to further progress over the coming months.
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:29 pm

hi

a great model in the making,really like the trackwork,will look even better when scenery is completed. :)

lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Postby 47806 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:37 am

I was interested in the photos of the new HST, it really is an improvement on the old one.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:45 am

47806 wrote:I was interested in the photos of the new HST, it really is an improvement on the old one.

Yeah, though I still think the price is a bit too high... I was lucky and nabbed the new Virgin HST with DCC-fitted from Rails when it was £99. There's no way I'm going to pay more than £110ish for any other HSTs though. If I'm honest, the old Lima mould was ok -- all I really clamoured for was a better mechanism... Are you tempted to get one of the new HSTs?

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Hello RMG,
Glad to see you back in operating-mode. Thoroughly enjoyed ALL the Posts. Look forward to more. Keep-up the good-work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”