Sandford keys

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
grippets

Sandford keys

Postby grippets » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:41 am

Hi all, i've started work on my new layout. Early days yet but at least things are moving now. The baseboards are finished and I've started laying the track for the bottom level. The layout will be a modern image oo layout and as said in layouts under planning the track layout is mainly just to see trains running around. I have some pics but im having trouble putting them on at the mo

Here's the track plan for the top level which is where the station will be

:D
Follow me on Instagram @deanstreetstation

bizzyd6405

Re: Sandford keys

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:09 pm

like the plan, i look forward to seeing some pics when you get them up.

cheers

Darren

grippets

Postby grippets » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 am

Hi all heres some pics of the lower level track most of which will be hide.

I also have a video of my class 66 trying out the track as I go. I think its moving pretty good as the track hasn't been cleaned properly yet and its been in storage for over a year.

grippets

Postby grippets » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 am

Good morning fellow modellers. I've done a bit more work on the layout. The lower track is now fully laid all I have to do now is wire it all up. I totally made up the tmd as I went along but I think it will turn out pretty good. The tubes in the pics are to hold the upper level track, i've used these because I can get plenty from work and cut them precisely every time.

(sorry for the blurry pics :oops: )

These too pics shows road access to the lower level area and the tmd. The black lines crossing the track is where the road will go under the upper level track.

grippets

Postby grippets » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:24 am

Good morning all heres some quick pics before work. I'll explain more later

grippets

Postby grippets » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:30 pm

Nobody seems interested in my layout :oops: anyway the top level is coming along nicely and hopefully will be able to start laying track on it next week. I also don't know what to do with the back bit now as originally going to have it out of view but i think it might look better on view now with a small tunnel so the trains don't look like there chasing themselfs

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Looks alright to me,dont worry if people dont comment on your layout all the time,as long as you are happy with it :D
All I would say is whilst I like the covered back section with the track above it how practical is it going to be to get a stuck/de-railed train out of the covered over section?
I take it you can just pull the board away from the wall if needed?

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Grippets, there are lots and lots of layout threads, often they get started and nothing gets added so you'll find often it takes a while to get many replies.

Smallman makes a good point about not being able to get to track, if a train can crash it will be in the furthest, deepest tunnel!

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi

This looks interesting,a 2 level oo gauge modern image layout with hidden tracks :)
But I would add some wood supports to the card which supports the higher level track as trains/ballast will add significant weight. :wink:

Kind Regards
Lewis :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 pm

I was going to say is that Cardboard?? :P

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 pm

egroeg93 wrote:I was going to say is that Cardboard?? :P

Looks like it,I dont think the tubes will be a problem but the cardboard track bed might be :shock:

grippets

Postby grippets » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Hi all. Thanks for the replies lol. To answer a few guestions the boards can be pulled out in case of a derailment but i can also reach in pretty far from each end. The reasons i'm using cardboard for the upper level is because i can get a lot of it from work and i mainly work on the layout at night when the little man is in bed so can't really make much noise like i would have to if i use wood. I have used card before for this sort of thing so hopefully it'll turn out ok and won't be to noisy. I've also used wood glue for all the glueing and i'm suprised how strong the upper level is turning out. Cheers

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi Dean

Just realised you have shifted to 'under construction' mode. It aint like it used to be on here but interest will pick up mate. You are certainly making fast progress ans I love the look of the plan. Be good to see how the scenics 'apply' to the cardboard but going by your old layout I expect it will be excellent anyway.

Andrew

ps Wycombe finally won a game away at your mob :P
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

grippets

Postby grippets » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi andrew thanks mate and please don't remind me about that game plus last nights shambles. I only hope the gas don't repeat northampton's bad luck last season. I must admit wycombe did play very well that game and took there chances.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:05 am

Sorry for dragging up and old thread, but this was looking promising and I noticed the OP still visits fairly regularly so I was wondering if construction continued or if it was scrapped to make way for a newer layout.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”