NSE making a start

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
NSE DAZ

Re: NSE making a start

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:43 pm

1djspikey wrote:wow that is very well made can a place a order :lol: keep up the good work

spikey :D
Grahame wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing more of this layout as it progresses.......

Keep it up.

G.

Hi Guys, thanks for your comments :D

50010Monarch wrote:I see a few fellow modellers here are using this FOAMEX stuff for buildings etc. And this has got me to thinking of my buildings for Knaresborough and especially the viaduct. So a few silly questions first.

1, Where do you get this foamex from?
2, What size shets does it come in?
3, What do you use for bonding it together?
4, The big question is cost?

But by the look of what can be done with it it seems my best option. Just one other small question can you get different thicknesses of it.

But Daz the buildings you are making look great and I just hope that my attempts look as good.

Thanks

Glenn.

Hi 50010Monarch to be honest Dave from West Coast Miniatures is the guy to ask about foamex as Dave is the brains behind the station building :D
When Dave post some more pictures up i am certain he will help you and answer your questions :wink:
My contribution to the station is adding the final details such as flooring posters interiors ect...

http://westcoastminiatures.webs.com/ Dave's web page 8)

Thanks for your comments

Darren NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Darren your additional buildings are now finished and ready to be posted. As requested the left hand side of the platform three building is now a waiting room that should match the one on the island platform building. The false wall in the middle has been fitted with a row of windows across the top and three doors, two at one side and one at the other. There should be enough room between them for the bike racks/vending machine. Dont wory about the westcoast signs they are only stuck with blue tack! :wink:

First a couple of views across the roof showing the roof light in the middle..

The doors...

The false wall note the light through the roof opening..

The waiting room..

The overall view makes the building look massive!!

The only NSE stock I have..

87 101

Postby 87 101 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Guys just to answer a few of your questions regarding materials, etc.
The foamex board that the buildings are made from is a dense PVC based material. It is flame retardent, hardwearing, will accept screws, can be drilled and yet can be carved relitivly easely with a sharp knife. Its is used by signwriters for making shop signs and displays and comes in different thicknesses. I use 3mm, 5mm and 10mm board. It is fairly expensive when compared to conventional foamboard but the stuff that can be done with it is amazing. I have seen small sheets of foamex come up on ebay but I would have a word with a local signmakers and see if they have any small off cuts that they would sell you. You can buy foamex in sheets as big as 8' x 4' and I would check the internet for suppliers. I have found that the best glue to use is bostik although on my Potters lane layout I have also used PVA and also decorators calk! If anyone likes the look of the buildings there are more pics on the westcoast website of not just this layout but also Potters lane, Carbbie bridge and Dunsyre signal box. Hope this answers all the questions. :wink:

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Dave WOW WOW WOW that is superb 8) 8) i love it thank you very much your a legand :D seeing your loco made me want to take some photos of mine 8)

Here is a couple of shots of some of my pride and joys :D

just could not resist in taking some shots :)

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm

thats what i like to see some NSE rolling stock, the class 50's look good but hay to say the class 47 has taken my eye really want one, there's one on ebay at the mo but it's at £82.99 which is a bit much i think. Also what coaches you thinking of using i have a couple of bachmann mk1 nse and i can recommend they there alot but then the hornby ones, i hope to get some bachmann mk2a's in NSE for my birthday.

cheers

Darren

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Darren, all of my coach stock at this moment in time are Bachmann MK2a's and Bachmann MK1's (these are for my large logo livery 50)
The Heljan 47 is lovely i also purchased of e-bay but for just £43 so hang on and wait for that bargain £££££ the one on e-bay at the moment for £82.99 is different to mine as it is in the lighter blue (original livery) but still looks good 8)
you will not be disappointed if you buy one, the only down side as mentioned before is the directional lighting is not the best (Dull) and the loco is a little on the tubby side, but believe me this does not spoil the loco.
This loco is solid, a work horse 8)

hope this helps

Thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Darren,
Hows things?
Have you received your new buildings yet?
Whens the next exhibition on that is fairly local any idea's?
Have been finishing off my station buildings tonight ( have spent about 8 solid hours just on the main building! )

Duncan...

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 am

Hi BIG DUNC,
Not going to bad at the moment thanks, but i am having trouble with my PC :evil: (Not the local officer :lol: )
I am waiting delivery for my additional station buildings but from the photos it looks great 8)
The next exhibition i think is a very local one at Templecombe but i will check this out!!!!!
From what progress i have seen of your station i was very impressed those Metcalf kits are the real deal, you must post some picture up soon or start a thread with the progress of your layout as this is one that i am interested in (NSE Super sprinters :wink: )

Keep up the good work

Darren NSE

BIG DUNC

Postby BIG DUNC » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Darren,
Nice to see you at Templecombe Model Railway Exhibition today.
Very surprised at what layouts they had on display there.
Hows the layout / station buildings coming on?
I've been working on my station and platforms, mostly yesterday, But have been busy working the rest of today.
Just to let you know I have a pile of about 60 old Model Rail magazines you might wanna have a look through!!
Are you going to Warminster exhibition next weekend??

Duncan...

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi Big DUNC

Templecombe Model Railway Exhibition was great and on our doorstep, i was also surprised at what layouts they had on display it was very good 8)
I received my platform 2 station building from Dave at West Coast last Wednesday and i am in the final stages of adding detail to it 8) 8) it really is a stunning building it is all going together nicely now, and when i have time i will post up some pictures :D
With what progress you have showed me that you have made with your layout i am very impressed keep up the good work 8)
I will be going to Warminster at the weekend so hopefully see you there :)

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi all just a quick update on my new platform building detailing :D

Shaftesbury has now been upgraded to a Red Star parcels station :wink:

The waiting room block joined to the Red Star parcels building

And a shot of the platform toilet block (who left the doors open???)

Hope you all like

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:51 pm

looking good Darren, can't wait to see it on your layout.

cheers

Darren

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi Daz love the Vacs not so keen on the spoon though :shock: but at least it is in a decent livery,although i hated them as they ousted the vacs on the Padd line and then the mule :cry: cry:
50045 always special to me as my first one Achilles r.i.p :cry:
50002 had her on last run 08.11 Exeter -Waterloo at Salisbury got ripped for a duff yuck :evil:
at least she is still with us
50031 always a favourite but not as good as the other OC NWRA original L Logo fleet 033/036 and 039
Will you be having theese?
I had to sell all my remainng NSE vacs 034/035 :cry: :cry: :cry: and L Logo 50004/031 and 039 :cry: :cry: as i moved house so had to downsize to N
anyway
Decent stock (including the duff) i can just about forgive now :shock:
cheers
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Hi Darren seen as your a fellow NSE fan i found that the signal box in Rochester have commissioned a bachmann class 03 in NSE livery it certainly got my attention here's the link:

http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new.php?pg=3&p_cat_id=43&prod_id=11276

not sure if your be interested but thought i'd let you know.

cheers

Darren

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:Hi Daz love the Vacs not so keen on the spoon though :shock: but at least it is in a decent livery,although i hated them as they ousted the vacs on the Padd line and then the mule :cry:
50045 always special to me as my first one Achilles r.i.p
50002 had her on last run 08.11 Exeter -Waterloo at Salisbury got ripped for a duff yuck :evil:
at least she is still with us
50031 always a favourite but not as good as the other OC NWRA original L Logo fleet 033/036 and 039
Will you be having these?
I had to sell all my remaining NSE vacs 034/035 and L Logo 50004/031 and 039 as i moved house so had to downsize to N
anyway
Decent stock (including the duff) i can just about forgive now
cheers
Ian

Hi Ian nice to here from a fellow member who loves the Vacs 8)
I love your saying " not so keen on the spoon" never heard of that one before (I was looking at the photos to make sure there was not a spoon lying around :oops: )
I intend to extend my fleet of Vac's as i have know purchased two more of 50002 Superb at a good price so i will be getting these re-numbered and re-named into 50030 Repulse and 50009 Conqueror :D
Like you said it was a sad day when the Vac's stopped servicing the west of England line :cry: and i also at the time was not a great fan of the spoon :lol: but after they was replaced by a three car 159 in late 92 i missed them as well :(
I would love to add 033/036 and 039 to my fleet i have better start saving £££££
Even though you had to downsize to N your taste in locos have remained a good one 8)

Many thanks

Darren NSE DAZ

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”