My next N gauge layout!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
smallman28

Re: My next N gauge layout!

Postby smallman28 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:54 am

Quick and dirty pic now all the track is laid and pinned down :D

Where the 47 is (grey roof to the left) will be a re-fueling point,where the 37 is will be and engine shed.
The 108 DMU is parked where the main platform will be and where the 220 is will be a short platform.
It will have to be short as I did't allow enough space for the level crossing :oops: so there will just be a short section to the right of the level crossing with a footbridge that will go to the main platform.
To the left of the level crossing will be a car park.
The tunnel mouths are just plopped down for now but are roughly in the sort of position where they will go.
The back scene will go across roughly in line with the point on the right hand side of the board so the very back will be non scenic.
I have been looking on ebay at some rigid foam that I think I am going to use to build up the elevated section with as it is a nice uniform thickness and hopefully easy to work with.
I am also considering making the entrances to the tunnels through cuttings so the tunnel entrances may have to be moved further towards the back of the board to make them effective,we will see.
Next job is to wire up the 4 point motors for the points that will be out of easy reach once scenery is in place.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Not much progress,been thinking about stuff more than doing it :mrgreen:
I got the 4 point motors wired up and working over Friday night and Saturday morning,spent most of the rest of Saturday trying to run in the 220 a bit more as it still seems quite stiff.
I am changing the station arrangement a bit as well.
The "short" platform is now going to fit between two tracks,in between where the 220 is and the top track of the level crossing will be the one short platform section,it looks a huge gap but is only about 3 inches.
The inner platform where the 108 is will remain unchanged with a footbridge between that and the small platform.
Where the dead end is where the 108 is parked I am considering continuing that curve through a double tunnel,the track will then be attached to the backscene board itself as it goes up about 2 inches before emerging on the planned upper section on the top left.
I liked the idea of it going behind the backscene as it goes in the tunnel and then pops out at the top :mrgreen:
I have also made a cardboard template for the hard standing area for the engine shed.
Just need to wait and be patient whilst all the stuff I have ordered arrives :twisted:

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:19 pm

One step forward two steps back :roll:
Built the first long platform yesterday that went without a problem.
The short one is blunt ended at the moment as I need to make some steps for it.
The buildings are just plopped down for now.

I started on the elevated section only to find the wood I had that was going to support it that is supposed to be 45mm in fact tapers from about 46mm to 40mm so is no use at all :evil:
Will either take it back and swap it or cut some of my left over MDF into 45mm strips,at least that way I know it will be level.

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:48 pm

I like it, it's a good start. :)

If I may make a suggestion, the short platform looks a little strange-perhaps if you used a bridge as the scenic break at that end and pretended the platform continued you could/would get away with it??
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:32 am

ASFC wrote:I like it, it's a good start. :)

If I may make a suggestion, the short platform looks a little strange-perhaps if you used a bridge as the scenic break at that end and pretended the platform continued you could/would get away with it??

Yeah,I know.
Didn't take the size of the level crossing into account in the plan :oops: and if I have the platform too long it will interfere with it.
Easiest answer might be to do away with the short platform altogether,we will see.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:57 pm

Hmmm... that type of board looks very familiar. Are you the guy who had the exelent thred my dads layout? Either way ill be keeping an eye on this, great start :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:13 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:Hmmm... that type of board looks very familiar. Are you the guy who had the exelent thred my dads layout? Either way ill be keeping an eye on this, great start :D

Maybe....
Is the green board the give away :mrgreen:
This one is MDF not chipboard though.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Smallman, Nice work so far :D
With regards to the level crossing, would it be possbile to remove it completely, replace it with the right length of track, and scratchbuild one to the left of where the current one is, just before it bends off? Meaning you can have a slightly longer station :wink:
Hth,
Ste :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:25 pm

ste234 wrote:Hi Smallman, Nice work so far :D
With regards to the level crossing, would it be possbile to remove it completely, replace it with the right length of track, and scratchbuild one to the left of where the current one is, just before it bends off? Meaning you can have a slightly longer station :wink:
Hth,
Ste :)

I could but that would un-pinning some track which I dont fancy doing :mrgreen:
I am not rushing to fit the platform just yet so will see if I can live with it or do something better about it,failing that I will just leave it off altogether.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:19 am

After some success with some wood that is a uniform size this is where we are.

The flash has washed everything out a bit and the tunnels do look darker inside than how they come out in the photos.
The gaps in the wood aren't a real problem either as they will all be covered over by a retaining wall of some kind,the only "issue" I have at the moment is the point motor on the right hand side is visible as it is right at the front of tunnel mouth :roll:
I might paint the wires black and disguise it with a couple of bushes,we will have to see,I just dont want to make it more visible by trying to hide it :shock:
The tunnel in the middle of the wall will either be to gain access to the yard or I might fence/wall it off as being disused.
There is a tall piece to go all the way along the back that will obstruct the view of the back part of the board when viewing from the front.
Still deciding what exactly to put on the top,it will have some operational track for something just dont know what.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:22 pm

looking good, think the issue with bushes on the points motor will look wrong from a natural point of view. how about a small pile of rubble, or abandoned sleepers or some such?

looks heavy though, how easy is it to move, as i assume it won't live in front of the TV?
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 pm

hiffano wrote:looking good, think the issue with bushes on the points motor will look wrong from a natural point of view. how about a small pile of rubble, or abandoned sleepers or some such?

looks heavy though, how easy is it to move, as i assume it won't live in front of the TV?

It's heavy :twisted: but I knew it would be although the elevated section isn't quite as solid as it looks and it is only 6mm MDF.
It will live in a cupboard although at the moment it is still occupied by the old layout :shock:
The person won and paid for it on ebay nearly 2 weeks ago but still haven't collected it yet,they are coming this Sunday to get it though :D
I am used to lifting 8x4ft 25mm sheets of MDF at work so if this ends up weighing the same as one of those then I will still be okay.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:39 pm

Not much significant progress in the last few days,just some small milestones :D
I have cheated with the problem with the point motor being right in front of the tunnel mouth,I have just extended the tunnel mouths out by about 4 inches,problem solved.

I will need to try and do something to disguise the very slab sided nature of some of the wooden sections.
I have some rigid foam to come from ebay and I am thinking I might do small hill/bank around that area and sloping down towards the back of the engine shed.
Also cut the rear section of the backscene to allow the locos to pass through it.

There are also power connections fitted into a lot of places on the underside of the elevated section so I can do plenty of lights on it if I want to :mrgreen:
I need to decide what exactly I am going to do on the top section still,cant make any other progress really till I do :roll:

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Nice, I think I prefer the tunnel that way. It makes the scenic break less flat. Great work so far :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Got me slab of foam today so been having a little play :D
Before I knew it I had made this :shock: wasn't really intending to but it just sort of happened,sometimes it's best that way.

Quick spray with some grey paint and a very faint black dry brush followed by some grass.
I think it looks fairly convincing as rock seeing as the effect was just achieved by sanding it.
The patch of rock on the side is just some filler that I tried to shape with a paint brush,no overly convinced by that part but it's not bad.
Quick pick to show where it will go.

When I do the top section I will blend it into that a bit better and also along the base.
Also laid most of the track on the top section,no power to it yet as I need to finalize the elevated section before fitting it down and wiring everything up.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”