My next N gauge layout!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
smallman28

My next N gauge layout!

Postby smallman28 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Although technically still in the planning stage I am going to go ahead with this so may as well start a thread for it!
I have gone through a couple of plans and have come up with this current version that I am quite happy with :mrgreen:
This is a revised version of a set track layout that is in the current Peco plan book.
The area in the red box is the only bit carried over from the plans,the rest of it is to provide a run around for locos rather than just a shunting backwards and forwards type affair.
Within the red area will be the only scenic part of the layout the rest is just there to provide the locos with somewhere to come and go from.
On the biggest outside loop I will run something like 220s with smaller locos going round the inner smaller 9" radius curves.
The big red area to the right will be platforms with the grey block above it some sort of canopy,the other red block to the left being a warehouse/building and the smallest one being a signal box.
The green areas will be grass with houses etc in the black part with the blue parts being tunnels in and out to the non scenic areas.
I MIGHT also build another small oval on top of this track plan to have a small single preserved line running along the back of the houses.

I am planning to build the baseboard this weekend,it has got bigger than I intended and is now going to be 180x80cm purely to get the lenght for some longish trains :D
The board will be made entirely out of 15mm MDF so is going to be heavy :shock: the other scenic breaks will be thinner MDF.
Still not sure wether to go DCC or DC yet though,I am selling my current NCE Powercab set up with my "old" layout so will have to start again with another DCC system if I want to go that route.
Watch this space!

hiffano

Re: My next N gauge layout!

Postby hiffano » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:11 pm

interesting, looking forward to seeing it develop,
I'm currently trying to decide between DCC and DC myself. i only have 2 loops though, so DC is probably for the best, but found the Bacman basic DCC controller for £39, so it's tempting.

now the, get on with it so i can nick some ideas from you ;-)
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:07 pm

I got in from work last night at about 8pm then spent till 12.30am this morning building the baseboard :shock:
I got a bit carried away,I was only going to do a bit to get a head start but once I started I just kept going :mrgreen: although getting up at 5.30 this morning didn't prove easy.
Going to take a trip to town tomorrow and buy some track,not everything but just enough to make sure the biggest loop will fit on the board before I buy the rest of track and discover it doesn't fit like the plan suggests it will.
Will post a pic tomorrow even if I haven't got all the track I want to get.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Sounds good Smallman, if your last layout was anything to go by, this should be a stunner :)
So its about 6tfx2ft?
6ft gives quite a nice run,especially if you prefer running short to meduim lenght trains. Although you might struggle to get over 8 or so coaches (+Loco) in.
Keep it up mate,
Ste
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:56 pm

ste234 wrote:Sounds good Smallman, if your last layout was anything to go by, this should be a stunner :)
So its about 6tfx2ft?
6ft gives quite a nice run,especially if you prefer running short to meduim lenght trains. Although you might struggle to get over 8 or so coaches (+Loco) in.
Keep it up mate,
Ste

Just under 6ft by about 2ft 8"" biggest size I can get in the cupboard that will be used to store it in :D
The board looks huge but I am sure the space will soon start to disappear when the track is getting laid and I will wish I could have made it bigger :roll:

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Yeah i know what you mean, mines a 6ft x 3ft, when i have it downstairs it looks massive, on return to the bedroom it looks tiny. It just depends how much track you cram in as to how big it looks i think :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:35 am

Well that idea for the weekend was short lived :roll:
Went to town to get some of the track only to find instead of the 9 pieces of one of the curves I needed they only had 1.
I had checked it last night and today before I went out and it said they had 9.
Went in the shop and they had 1,the guy said they it was another store that had 9 not them.
When I got home I found the page stored in the internet history and it did indeed say 9,I refreshed the page and it magically changed to 1 :shock:
Just be honest and say it's an error and dont try to lie to me.
I could order the track from Hattons but they dont have either of the points that I need,wont be making any progress anytime soon then :mrgreen:

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Due to the lack of track I had another attack at my baseboard :twisted:
I decided to add some more braces breaking up the board into almost 1ft squares.
The middle vertical braces are the additions I made,they are only glued in though but given the strenght of the glue they will hopefully add to the rigidity of the board itself.
Each brace has a 18mm hole in it that should be enough for any wiring.

Image Image

I also painted it all.

Image Image

The track plan has changed again as well :roll:
More out of an attempt to reduce costs than anything else although I am going to go the DC route after all as my dad had expressed and interest in using the layout as well.
The "gap" is for a level crossing by the way.

Image Image

Thanks to Flashbang for help with the power feeds for the latest layout version :mrgreen:
I will order some track in the next couple of days ready for my day off on Wednesday.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:18 pm

I got some track yesterday and today so I have been able to lay the outer most loop along with a small other section.
It's only stuck down with double sided tape so far but I will probably pin it down at some point as well to make sure it is really solid given that only the scenic part will be ballasted.
The tunnel mouths also came yesterday along with the pre-wired fishplates.
I have taken great effort to try and get the track(s) straight and parallel to each other and it seems to be paying off so far as it has gone together very nicely and the trains I have run on it seem to indicate all is well.

Last edited by smallman28 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm

Excellent stuff so far fella. A nice simple track plan and a high standard of care and craftsmanship: always a very good combination in model railways I find :)

Look forward to seeing more. Have you a specific idea about scenery and buildings, etc yet?

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Infrontcat wrote:Excellent stuff so far fella. A nice simple track plan and a high standard of care and craftsmanship: always a very good combination in model railways I find :)

Look forward to seeing more. Have you a specific idea about scenery and buildings, etc yet?

Cheers

Tim

A vague idea about the scenery would be closer to the mark :mrgreen:
If you look at the first plan I did I was just going to do a "box" the middle that was going to be scenic.
The idea now is I will still do something similar but it will go straight across to the left hand side but the right hand side will still finish where it is on the first plan.

The tunnels at each end will go under the top section that will be a town/village with maybe a preserved steam line running through it :D
I will get the bottom track work up and running before I decide for sure what the next step will be.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:24 pm

Having seen the quality of your previous work, I'll be staying tuned on this one too.
Glad to see you've extended the scenic area. Now you've mentioned the plans for the top section I'm getting a better idea of the potential of your new track plan.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I have just ordered everything to complete the track :mrgreen:
I am also going to use the Peco PL-11 surface mounted point motors for the 4 points that will be out of easy reach.
These are a bit on the large side to use with N gauge points but they are in areas that aren't scenic so it isn't going to matter and I dont really fancy cutting holes in the board to mount other types of point motor.
Also ordered the Peco lever type switches for the points along with a couple that are just "normal" switches that I will use to turn the lights on and off.
Got a class 220 in the X-Country livery to come as well.
Sods law though my day off is Monday and the stuff wont come till Tuesday so I might have to amuse myself with something else Monday.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Had a big box of stuff delivered yesterday :twisted:
Spent most of last night laying track although I got towards the end and wondered why I was suddenly a piece missing :shock:
Got up to look and realised I had been sitting on it and bent it :oops: so had to go down town this morning to get a replacement piece as I couldn't use all the layout without it.
A few bits to finish fixing down later tonight as I have just got in from work,will post some pics tomorrow when all the trackwork is finished.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 am

looking forward to it. Hope it's evey bit as cool as your previous layout
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”