3440's "great undertaking"...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.

3440's "great undertaking"...

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Maybe.

Wasnt sure where else to put this. Its not really a model railway but it will be a sort of ongoing project it it works.

Ill try and explain: a long time ago (before I was thought of!) my father and a friend decided to build an EM model railway. They collected a vast variety of Locos , carriages and wagon kits of all shapes and sizes piled all the bots together, and then, it would appear, they threw away all the instructions, plans and boxs....

This collection sat in a loft for a few eons gathering dust and rusting away. Until an intrepid explorer (yours truly), heedless of the dizzying heights and the dusts effect on his allergies didst chance upon this collection and bring it back into the light with the intention of completing the epic task begun all those years ago. Unfortunatly, apart from a few near complete carriages and wagons being for reguaged my own 00 guage railway, the collection has spent the last few years under my bed....

However Ive got a few days off, and see if I could get anything done. Ive recently attempted a similar undertaking with my N guage collection, and it was more succesful than I expected.

So my aim: to take this huge pile of random, jumbled up bits, and make a train out of it.

Ive taken a few pics of some of the bigger bits, but on top of this is bucket loads of smaller bits I havent dared look at yet: mostly in the accessories/wheels/details/couplings and coupling rods/motors etc dept.

Theres plastic kits, whitemetal, brass, some dismantled RTR stuff of all eras and areas. So far ive identified what appear to be parts for a jinty, an f4, a couple of princess's, a coal tank, several deisels of various types including railcars (Im not an expert on motorised biscuit tins). Whether all the bits are included is unknown, and will probably remain so given the lack of boxs and instructions. Im not sure what was originally intended but given the amount of stock and its period/region I suspect the plan was to rebuild most of the L+Y system from 1920-1960.

Anyway, with my trusty Ian Allan ABC (1962 combined volume) to guide me, Im fairly certain that I can get something running!

Re: 3440's "great undertaking"...

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Well Ive spent a bit of time on it already: turns out I have a selection of working motors including an entire 6 wheel motor bogie in 00 gauge! W00T! Jackpot!

Unfortunatly the rest of the motors lack things like bushes, or are firmly attached to EM chassis without working pickups....

Ive identified a Diesel: Appears to be a Sulzer type 4....in LNWR livery.
The motor works, but again, its the wrong gauge and the pickups...dont.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 pm

WOW, sound like quite a fun and interesting activity.

The Ian Allen ABC are a useful piece of kit and quite fun as well for those boring empty afternoons. (I have the winter/spring edition 1962/1963. With numbers starting to disappear :cry: :(

I'll keep an eye out for this looks very interesting.

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 pm

I hope so, though Ive no idea how long Ill keep up the, erm , momentum! :D

Anyway Ive spent the entire afternoon sorting through thousands of unidentifiable parts, and basically treating the whole thing like a jigsaw puzzle!

IVe made some headway: managed to sort out 5 "running" coaches in midland and LNWR liverys, theyre all 00, and most details are present. Only couplings are required and Ill head to the model shop tomorrow to get some. The LNWR stock appear to be Mainline models, dismantled, rebuilt as EM, and dismantled again. Ive got 3 in the pic, but theres a couple more waiting to be finished, if I can find the parts!

Also got a working Loco! A Brush Type 2 (assuming my ABC locospotters book is right!) Its 00 gauge, its motor and pickups work (though I must admit I havnt connected them yet). It needs some cosmetic work like buffers , something to hold the bogies in place (screws are missing) , and couplings of course. Im not certain, but I dont think the livery of apple green and the letters LNER are entirely appropriate for this loco..Might have to do something about that.

Has to be said, I wasnt expecting so much success so early on...or at all!
BTW, there isnt really a point to this: its not like Im desperate for locos and rolling stock! My N Gauge layout has a half a dozen of them, and my OO gauge has 13 RTR locos...more than is strictly neccessary as due to the size of my flat both weigh in at a mere 8 square feet!

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:01 pm

crumbs your dad seems quite a joker. with those.....erm.....unique liveries :P One time I have been tempted to get hold of a 2nd hand A4 and paint it in GWR green but nothing happened. Your Dad also seems quite a builder. Does he still make things like this??

T&C

81D & 55A

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, I dont think he built the more random models. Ive found a few trucks with his initials on the underside though!

Nowadays he models 0 Gauge and spends an awful lot of time building locos and rolling stock. rather nice too, though theres been no sign of the much talked about layout for them! Hes finally settled on 0gauge after decades of swapping from HO, OO, N and EM and back again.

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi 3440

What an amazing collection of bits and bobs I'll bet you will make some good rolling stock out of that lot.

Just one point to mention, you may already know this but older trains wheel internal widths don't always work well with newer track. I had a problem with this and have ended up not using my original loco's, they derail quite often. Unfortunately those loco's were what caused me to get back into the hobby. By buying new wheel sets I have been able to use my original wagons.

Cheers Alan
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm

Too true, that is something Ive noticed before. Luckily most of the wheels are for EM/00 kits anyway so are a bit more delicatly profiled than some of the Chunky Triang Ive encountered!

Brief update: the LNER Brush type 2 is currently being run in on my layout. Its a bit hesitant in reverse but a bit of oil and running in it should be fine!

Postby 3440 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:51 pm

Im currently putting together some plastic carriage kits I found: They appear to be LNER teak suburbans. Not sure on the make. Made from a very odd plastic: impossible to cut, yet very brittle :? Some parts seem to be missing, but I reckon I can get 2 or 3 coaches from them...when Ive worked out how to mount the bogies anyway.

1djspikey

Postby 1djspikey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 pm

sound like a job and a half there 3440's i wouldnt know were to start :lol: :lol: i bet you will do ok with that tidy little collection :wink: reguards spikey :D

Postby 3440 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 am

Well, after spending the best part of the last 30 odd years sat in a biscuit tin, in bits and gathering dust,the newest addition to the fleet pulled what is likely to have been her first train ever! Ok so it was only a couple of cattle trucks it picked up by accident but we have to start somewhere! She doesnt like sharp s bends, but after an hour of running in gives the impression of being very fast and powerful.

buffers and couplings are fitted, though a spot of paint is neccessary, but Ill think I'll keep her unique livery!

I feel a name would be appropriate now, Unofficial of course. Would any fellow modeller care to suggest one?

Not a bad end to the day, started off with several thousand random unidentifiable chunks of metal and plastic and after some perseverance Ive ended up with a working "LNER" Diesel, a rake of LNWR corridor stock, a couple of midlan coaches, and a few half built LNER coaches.

what will tomorrow bring I wonder!

Postby 3440 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Today Ive not done much unfortunatly. Stuck some bogie kits together and added couplings to the carriages of yesterday though.

Spent most of the day in the snow thinking its a pity I cant have a bigger railway to run them on...

Postby 3440 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Having not got much done today I thought Id practice my Photography skills...HA!

First up: todays work. My work bench, and the freshly completed LNWR coaches.

Next my N guage: Arlesburgh West. Based on The Reverend Awdrys own model of Thomas' Branchline it represents another terminus on the Island of Sodor: that of the Little Western, Ducks Branchline! Its track plan is identical to FFarquhar 1, and it fell together without planning! Its main trade is ballast trains from the old lead mines in the hills for use across the BR system. Arlesburgh West is the passenger and local freight terminus. Gernerally run by a 57xx and a 14xx with a few others to help! No faces obviously, becouse, like the Rev. Awdrys Engines, these are real!

Postby 3440 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Lastly my 00 layout, Aidan Road. Still very much WIP. Track and electrics done, currently trying to decided where bridges and buildings are going.
Bit to small for all my stock: can only handle two trains at once, so they have to take it in turns. Probably just be used to test models and modelmaking etc.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:28 am

I see your layouts quite small :P :shock: :lol:

those coaches are coming on well quite a rake of lnwr stuff :shock: :P wouldn't mind sort of stuff on my line!!! I think thats the same with most of us!! :P

keep up the good work

T&C

81D & 55A

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”