N, Goodison Wood, updates page 11

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bluechang

Re: N, Goodison Wood, updates page 11

Postby bluechang » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

I've been having a think about the station, and if I'm honest, I'm not completely satisfied with it - last night I was fiddling with a diagram of the layout on XtrkCad and wondered whether the area at the other end would look better as a station - albeit all three lines would be though lines, however the platforms would be longer, able to accommodate a longer train that what the current set-up would be able to handle, and I can then put a section of timber above the station platform and have the station building above the platforms (does that make sense?)

If I were to go ahead, the two current terminating platforms could become something like a cattle loading area/quarry/brewery - as you can tell, I'm not quite sure what the two sections could be used for, but there is still a long way to go yet.

Would a station that large look ok on a layout the size of mine?

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 pm

My focus this last week has been primarily on a control panel for the point motors I have begun to purchase. The idea which is coming to fruition is a control panel containing SPDT centred off toggle switches and LED's showing direction of the turnout. Having had a conversation with Flashbang and UK_Apollo and consulting with the Brian Lambert website, I now think I know what I'm doing to set this all up.

The panel itself will be detachable from the layout through use of 25 pin D connectors situated on the rear of the control panel and the same on the side of the layout. This will allow easy manoeuvrability of the layout should it need to be moved (which it may in a few weeks to a different room - another story) It will also mean I can construct the internals away from the layout, which is a good thing as the layout room is directly above the kids bedroom, limiting the time I can go in there.

The control panel and the base have been constructed using off cuts of timber I had laying around my storage area along with a sheet of 3mm hardboard purchased form my local wickes. Glue and some rigid corner joints completed the construction. As I have mentioned in the question thread in the electronics section of this website, the cabinet is very rough (it is square) - I was planning on adding some sections of the 3mm hardboard around the edges to give the box a clean look, but I'm thinking that all it will do is add weight to an already weighty box. The top section is constructed out of 44x18mm softwood and the bottom I think it was 70x18mm softwood also. I have added a chain to prevent the lid flipping over, however upon thinking about it, the chain isn't a very good idea, conductivity wise :oops: so will be swapped out for some braided string once I get the wife to make it for me.

The next problem came about when I suggested the idea of adding in the LED's to indicate the direction of the turnout. As I have already purchased two of the Seep PM-2's which are lacking the accessory switch, I will have to team these with a PM-1 which will have the accessory switch and wire in series two LED's to allow me to position them in the correct spot on the board. The only issue with this is what Flashbang mentioned - by going down this route, I will have to assume that the PM-2(non accessory switch) has actually switched positions as the lighting will only come from the PM-1. From now on in however, I will be purchasing the PM-1's with the accessory switch.

My most recent purchases have been the quarter sheet of hardboard for £2.19, rigid joints @£1.70 and the CDU which was purchased from ebay for £9.95. The rest of the timber was free, or purchased a while back.

As my focus has been on the control panel and the internal workings, I haven't really had time to get the layout ready for the installation of the point motors. What I mean by getting it ready is basically undoing a lot of work I've already done - I will need to lift all the turnouts, but because of their positions, it means having to remove approx 60% of the other track - all of which is wired to the DCC bus underneath. Add into that, the need to remove the IRJ's as they are causing me nothing but grief with the running of my locos.

Below is a few pictures of the box I am going to use for the control panel.

This is the CDU I have bought from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 908wt_1137

I will hopefully have something more constructive to share in my next update.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:43 pm

I wish this post was constructive, however it's not!

All the components I ordered over the last few days arrived later afternoon today. I now have the following to complete my control panel

12 Toggle switches
    28 LED's (12v)
    28 LED Clips
    4 15 way solder leg plugs
    4 15 way solder lug sockets
    8 15 way grey D Connector covers (to allow the control panel to be disconnected from the layout)
    1 AC/DC 9V 300mah unregulated PSU - LED Operation
    A better pair of wire strippers
    and a CDU which is good for 4 turnout movements simultaneously
    Pair of 2 inch hinges

How I have all of the above I can get on with constructing the control panel. First things first though, the hinges have to be fitted (which I did earlier this afternoon) If I get an hour or so, I am going to get the layout printed onto the top of the panel and then drill out the holes for the LED's. Thankfully, the toggle switches and the LED clips are both 8mm, which will make it quicker to do the installation of them both.

I had a look at the D connector covers and noticed they all came with a lot fo screws and small plates which i have no idea of their use! I have found the two small bolts and the corresponding nuts to hold the two sides together, but I'm stumped as to what everything else is for (with the exception of two other screws with half length thread - they are for screwing the d connector into its plug if going into a computer, which it isn't so they aren't being fitted)

one thing I am needing advice on is what should I use to put the layout design onto the top of the control panel? Paint or is there something else that would give a better finish? I think flashbang mentioned something about car lining tape? - where would I get that from?

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:05 am

bluechang wrote:I wish this post was constructive, however it's not!

they are all constructive, i'd like to post on my thread everytime i look at my layout but i keep thinking no one would read my thread with all posts and no action,

loved the frame work you made, as mine is consigned to the shed verticaly ive wimped out and gone for a legless trestle suported one id love to have the space and the skills to pull that off,

i will be watching your wiring with great interest like everyone elses as its by far my weak point, especialy as i have pre decided to use the same seep motors as you and i am undecided on LED's or not,,,,

keep em coming,,,,

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:28 pm

fratton wrote:
bluechang wrote:I wish this post was constructive, however it's not!

they are all constructive, i'd like to post on my thread everytime i look at my layout but i keep thinking no one would read my thread with all posts and no action,

loved the frame work you made, as mine is consigned to the shed verticaly ive wimped out and gone for a legless trestle suported one id love to have the space and the skills to pull that off,

i will be watching your wiring with great interest like everyone elses as its by far my weak point, especialy as i have pre decided to use the same seep motors as you and i am undecided on LED's or not,,,,

keep em coming,,,,

RE - LED's - If you use the Seep PM-1 point motor with its accessory switch, then its just a case of 3 additional wires soldered to the point motor - pos and neg to the LED and a separate PSU (you will have two sources of power on each P.M.) I haven't got any of the PM-1's yet (not had a chance to get to Hattons yet)

I have an update on the control panel, but not got the time to post anything more than I have at the moment due to getting my kids ready for bed. I will post up what I've done later on this evening once they are in bed!

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Better update

As I mentioned yesterday, most of the components for the control panel arrived. Today, the work started to put them together! It took me two hours to draw the diagram on top, ensuring it was centred and looked good enough to stay on there for a good while. It would have only taken 30 minutes but for 3 sets of little fingers trying to open the box and get what was in there out - oh and trying to keep my ruler and pencil where I needed it wasn't exactly the easiest of things!

Anyway - once the diagram was drawn, the holes for the LED clips were drilled - I read that they were 8mm wide, so thought an 8mm drill bit would be ok, but I was so wrong when the clips wouldn't go in the holes drilled. Turns out the clips are anywhere between 8.1/8.25mm wide due to tolerances. So I had to use the drill to try and widen the holes a little and then with a small piece of wood, to push them down. It took a while, but all are now in place and due to a change of mind, I now have two spare clips and LED's to boot.

I have had the same problem with the toggle switches as well. Looking at the technical spec for the switches, it says the thread is 6.87mm wide. I only have a 6mm drill bit (no 7mm - do they make a 7mm wood bit?) So, like the clips, I had to use the drill bit to widen the hole ever so slightly and then add the other nuts and washers and the like to them to secure them in place. I only got half way through the installation of the toggle switches before having to do dinner and then get the kids ready for bed. Now they are in bed, i can't do any more drilling as I don't want the kids awake, so work is now on hold until tomorrow.

Tomorrows list of jobs consist of finishing the installation of the toggle switches, soldering the wires to the LED's and plugging them into the clips (one going to the 15 point lug socket and the other to the negative of the 9v PSU.) I am planning on taking my time with the wiring as I want to make sure it all works first time. That is the one piece of advice Flashbang gave me in the electronics thread I made that I would recommend to everyone considering point motors and all the wiring that goes with it.

Photographs

Box with initial design - there were some tweaks made to it before the holes were cut

This is the best photograph I could get of the box without p[icking up on the shine from the hardboard. This is after the holes had been cut and clips inserted.

This is after the left side of toggle switches had been fitted. Only the right hand side to do tomorrow.

This is the underside of the control panel lacking wires. These will be soldered in places in the coming days and weeks. I cvan only go so far as I only have two point motors and they are not the type with the accessory switch included.

I have also realised that I am going to need a LOT more wire for this layout. I'm not sure how much, but its going to be a lot!!. I have a roll of the five colours Hattons had and some Red and black cut into small strips when I was soldering wires to the underside of the rails so i should be able to make use of them somewhere down the line (Hopefully)

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Just a quick post to say work has been placed on hold for a few days as we are relocating the kids to a different bedroom (my train room - straight swap) on a different floor of the house (3 storey town house - they are currently on the middle floor and moving to the top of the house)

At the moment, the house is in a bit of a mess. the baseboard is currently on its side and the legs have been dismantled for moving and everything esle is in boxes :(

Progress will be made hopefully by the weekend (fingers crossed) :D

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:44 am

Work has quite literally stopped dead in its tracks since I last posted. The rooms have been switched, so I now have a full bedroom for my layout, but with things coming up, namely my wedding (in 2 1/2 weeks) everything stopped to continue organising that. Since I last posted, the only thing I can say I've done is cut some green PECO wire to length to start the soldering of the LED's however, I don't have enough wire by a long shot so will need to place an order with Hattons for some more., But like I said above, that wont happen until after the wedding.

I also have to say, I have been severely tested on my resolve to model in N. Recently, I have been looking and umming and ahhing about going buying into OO gauge. not sure why, but I really like the Rapier (Hitachi 395) that Hornby are planning/have already released. The only problem I can foresee though is SWMBO, as the room I'm using for my N layout is also the spare bedroom for when her parents come to stay, so if I were to embark on a basic OO layout whilst in the midst of the N, I don't think she would be too happy. The only other option would be to dismantle the N layout and go the whole hog in OO, which would mean larger baseboard and more space, which again, I don't think she would be too happy about, but if the layout were to be fold-able? Maybe that might make things a little better

Oh, how I hate this!!!

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 am

Goodison Wood is Dead and buried - A lot has happened recently which has prevented me from working on a project of this size and scale, so I have taken the decision to break the layout up and place things on hold for a while until the outlook is a little better for me where I can then possibly restart the layout again in a different guise.

Thank you to all of you who have posted on my threads, offering advice and suggestions.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”