Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jim S-W

Re: Birmingham New Street in P4

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am

DonB wrote:Awesome work, sir. :shock: :shock:

May I ask - Are you a professional modeller? If not, you should be, IMO! :shock: :D

EDIT: Wasn't there a chap in Solihull (?) who also modelled BNS in 4mm? ISTR an article in Railway Modeller a few years ago...

Hi Don

No I am not - nor would I want to be. I have a lot of admiration for those who can turn their hobby or passion as I did that with my other love - illustration. I was a professional illustrator for nearly 10 years but ended up hating it. Its 5+ years since I changed career and I havent illustrated anything since!

DMNS (Dons Miniature New Street) was in Sutton. Sadly Don passed away last year and his New Street has been dismantled.

Dave - the beauty of modelling a real place is that it sparks little memories or stories like you have shared. Its always Job done when that happens.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi All

A better view of Colin's clamp locks - pre-paint.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 am

Hi All

If I say so myself I feel I am getting pretty decent and quick at building walls now! The following is the last wall for board 1 and its located under the road bridge on platform 1. An evenings work in this one. - its split in half as it crosses on to board 2.

Cheers

Jim

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 am

I remember the articles on DMNS. As well as the fairly accurate portrayal of New Street, it had a very sophisticated (for the time) control system, which by all accounts worked better than the one in New Street's above ground bunker.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi All

A few more pics.

This is the view from the back with 50023 poking its nose out from behind the wall.

The view from platform 2 - looking towards wolverhampton.

(I really like this one!)

Just for fun!

Cheers

Jim

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Image

Ahhh :) Now I recognise where it's set. :twisted: If I didn't know the date, I'd think you wanted us to think that isn't real.
Stephen T

ste234

Postby ste234 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 pm

How did you do the rain effect Jim? Looks very convincing :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 am

Whats with the horse on the platform?. What technique do you employ for cutting the arches? I have always found it to be rather cumbersome.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:25 am

sishades wrote:Whats with the horse on the platform?. What technique do you employ for cutting the arches? I have always found it to be rather cumbersome.

The horse is sculpture on the platfrom that was built in 1987. Its one of 12, the rest are found at stations between New Street and Wolverhampton. Its a nice feature to have included to this model. Nice one!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 am

Like the horse. They're not all at stations. The Tipton one is on open ground close to the council estate that earned itself the nickname of "The Ponderosa" because of all the horses left to roam.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 am

Bufferstop wrote:Like the horse. They're not all at stations. The Tipton one is on open ground close to the council estate that earned itself the nickname of "The Ponderosa" because of all the horses left to roam.

Er yes thanks for that, I didn't mean all at stations, just minced my words I think :oops:

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Fantastic last few pics !
The rain effects give a unique & different feel of realism.

The spiral staircase mounted on the side of the signal/control box catches my attention, & I would imagine a scratchbuilt design & building this was espiecally time consuming as to reproduce & model allowing access points to all levels,... one of those modelling tasks where you'd have to constuct some sort of purpose built jig as to get this sort of thing looking exactly right, What's it made from ?, brass & styrene strip I'm guessing ?
The air-conditioning units are a real nice & well modelled inclusion too.

Just wondering also, the lines of cable runs that are pinned to the walls.., are they just a cosmetically enhancement, or do they also serve a purpose of carrying power supply to tracks & signals ? ... (as to save on some of the underboard wiring where suitable)

Great work & a real pleasure to see updates. Cheers,

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi All

The rain is easy to do using Photoshop. I just fill a small area with white using the paint bucket set to 'dissolve' mode on its own layer. This area is then enlarged to fill the image and a motion blur applied. The opacity is then adjusted to suit.

The bulk of the arches are cur into the card sub base using one of these

In this case a 14mm punch. This is then overlaid with South eastern finecast brick plasticard and then cut to shape - the final arch being finished after I have stuck my etched overlays in place.

I made some masters for the stairs on the staircase and copied them in resin. the outer frame is brass.

The following picture shows where the layout was about 3 years ago with one taken yesterday for comparrison.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 am

Hi All

A bit of news for everyone.

P4NewStreet will now be appearing at DEMU showcase as a work in progress demo. For more info on the show click here

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi All

Recently I did a test etch for a welded rod OLE portal, I was not happy with it so after literally returning to the drawing board I have now arrived at something I am much happier with.

Cheers

Jim

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”