Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
egroeg93

Re: Birmingham New Street in P4

Postby egroeg93 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 am

Jim S-W wrote:Hi All

Something that has been on my 'nearly finished' list for a LONG time is my 07-16 tamper. Built from the Roger Murray etched brass bits with a lot of scratchbuilding here she rests in the siding outside of my signal box.

Cheers

Jim

Lol I thought that was a real life photo :shock:

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:52 am

At the first glance at many of the photo-shots of jims project , yes i thought the same, the modelling work here is incredibly realistic.
I think a B&W photo of this would be even more true teasing on the eyes.
Birmingham New st is my local "main station" & i can't yet find a descrepancy to note of so far.

Be nice to see this at an exhibition, i have'nt been to any shows for a while, but this really would be worth a day out hopefully sometime in the near future.
Also, good luck with modelling that rotunda building, this i'd imagine may proove quite a task due to the curve shape issues

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

0121modeller wrote:I think a B&W photo of this would be even more true teasing on the eyes.

Hi Dave

what do you think?

Cheers

Jim
Attachments
Tamper black and white.jpg
Tamper black and white.jpg (221.45 KiB) Viewed 5114 times

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 am

Come on jim ,now thats a photo shoot of the real thing... :? is'nt it ? :wink:
Great work !

Will this project be attending exhibitions ?

Dave.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

Hi Dave

It will indeed - a fair way off yet but I am taking just the station area to the Kernow Show in september as a work in progress Demo.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi All

Another pointless little padlock! 3 feet + between this and the viewing public but...

Added some weathering and litter to the little area. The litter being simply a few bits of stretched out thin carrier bag and some microstrip painted red with the ends picked out with a silver marker to represent coke cans! - Time to move on to the next thing!

But not before a little play with the light!

Cheers

Jim

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Another pointless little padlock! 3 feet + between this and the viewing public but...
...Essential ! , I bother with tedius things like this myself, it all adds to the overall realism, i reckon there will always be 1 out of every 10 or so people at exhibitions who point out something that they feel should've been included.
Leave 'em speechless :shock:

Great idea with the litter, another usual (but shameful) feature of Birmingham 8)

Dave.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:35 am

My favourite bit on this scene is the saggy cables lashed to the retaining wall after they've popped out of the trunking!
Wish I had this many skills to put into a scene :(

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi All

Most of my point motors (scenically I mean) are the Westinghouse EP type - however there is one slip where there is no room for these. Luckily Colin Craig has not long introduced a selection of bits for the clamp lock type so in the tradition of the prototype these have been bodged to fit my Bullhead rail

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 am

Hi ALL

I have no idea what this is - perhaps its some sort of filler for the 08's that never seem to leave the station, it could just be the filling point for the tank, on the other side of the station, for whatever the tank is used for or perhaps its some sort of fire safety system?

Anyway I have been meaning to model it and tonight I got around to soldering a few bits of wire together, Its a bit big but since you cant see it from the front of the layout anyway...

Cheers

Jim

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am

I just love that you are modelling things that you don't know what they are for, only that they are there. Wonderful attention to detail!

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 am

Last one for me tonight.

Anyone who has looked for pics of New Street in the 70's and 80's will know that a shot of an AC or 2 parked outside of the signal box is a classic. A sight long gone and never to return I am afraid but it will live on in 4mm scale!

Cheers

Jim

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 am

I`m going back to flying my model helicopters!! Thats just beyond modelling, never seen anything like it, stunning work James!

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:58 am

Awesome work, sir. :shock: :shock:

And yes - I well remember visiting BNS in the 80s and early 90s and seeing AL6's (and others) parked outside the 'box; I'm sure I have some pics somewhere...

May I ask - Are you a professional modeller? If not, you should be, IMO! :shock: :D

I will be watching this one. Totally stunning.

Don

EDIT: Wasn't there a chap in Solihull (?) who also modelled BNS in 4mm? ISTR an article in Railway Modeller a few years ago...
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

0121modeller

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:44 am

That photo brings back such dear memories jim !
Back in late 1985 & throughout 1986 daily trips to coventry to see my first sweetheart. Little did she know I had an 'equal love' for those class 86 & 87 loco's especially in that livery. I always left it till the last moments before boarding train as I'd stand next to the loco listening to that low pitch constant whurr & timely tap-tap-tap-tap sound they made when idle-ing.

My journey to coventry often used a 47 instead, admired those too, & remember my strange "fascination" for those serck shutters, as some were open but others closed, I have started a project to replicate this feature & modifying my 00 heljan & lima 47's,.. well, 'O gauge' 47's include this feature,.. why not 00 :? ...
Anyway,..enough said of my passions !

This layout just gets better on each update with the realism, & a thought comes to my mind of that well known carlsberg commercial, but worded differently.
Looking forward to seeing this hopefully next year jim :D

Dave.
Last edited by 0121modeller on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”