Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jim S-W

Re: Birmingham New Street in P4

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 am

Hi All

Nearly finished the ballasting on this board. Heres an overview of progress so far.

Cheers

Jim

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 am

Great looking progress jim,
What did you use for the concrete cable troughs between those tracks ? I used Plastruct UFS4 & wills grey plastic sheet cut to small size for top cover slabs, have utilised this feature to convieniently route some surface wires for common track feeds before going down a hidden "common hole" to the rest of underboard wiring.
The polypipes under tracks, another nicely modeled feature, could also be used to route wiring for same reasons as said above.

On the main signal box control building, it looks like you've used multiple sections of plastruct AFS6 joined to create the profile cladding, am I correct ?

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 pm

what ballast did you use??

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Dave

For the troughing I drew up an etch for a run of closed and individual open ones - here is a close up for you.

The ballast is Carrs, 2mm fine for the main lines, ash for the sidings outside of the signal box and the infils.

HTH

Jim

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi All

Its very rare that I buy something new (2 class 50's in the last couple of years) but I need sprinters in the original colours and Trains 4 you have done one so...

Straight out of the box and doing its best to balance on my rails!

Cheers

Jim

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Jim S-W wrote:Hi All

Its very rare that I buy something new (2 class 50's in the last couple of years) but I need sprinters in the original colours and Trains 4 you have done one so...

Straight out of the box and doing its best to balance on my rails!

Cheers

Jim

Was going to suggest that lol.. Especially as it has Birmingham New Street destination board :D

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

Hi Jim, That close-up track scene is very impressive, the troughing , polypipe, & I've just spotted the modified peco concrete platform sides, I see you strive for utmost realism & the results are great so far !

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks Dave

A good day today! I have for a long time been looking for a tube to make one of Birmingham's most distinctive buildings. I have approached loads of acrylic manufacturers and they have all come back with quotes over the £500 mark! Then my good friend Tim suggested fish tanks (I had already looked but never hurts to have another go) and eventually I found a company called Reef One who make them. Spoke to a very helpful chap called Rob who was able to donate 2 reject tanks. (I say donate as he only charged me a tenner for 2 including shipping!). They are a bit smaller than the real thing scales out to but its that or pay hundred of pounds for a few extra cm's on the diameter. - No brainer! The 2 together are also a tag shorter (a whole 6cm) than scale but compared to a 4mm scale class 47 its not exactly noticable is it?

More info on the real building can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotunda_(Birmingham)

I wont be starting this for a fair while yet but its nice when a long search comes to an end! Thanks Rob!

Cheers

Jim

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 pm

Jim S-W wrote:They are a bit smaller than the real thing scales

Nothing like a bit of perspective! I'd have thought that the Rotunda in "full size" may dominate the model a bit too much, Jim, so a smaller version in the background would probably help! Just like using TT models in the background of HO layouts... Auhagen and Faller even have a section in their catalogues listed HO/TT... rather like Triang's OO/HO!! :wink:

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Jim

As already stated, your attention to detail is superb. Your ballasting, troughs, platform sides, and buildings all look great!
I'll be keeping an eye on this layout for future detailing ideas.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi All

Something that has been on my 'nearly finished' list for a LONG time is my 07-16 tamper. Built from the Roger Murray etched brass bits with a lot of scratchbuilding here she rests in the siding outside of my signal box.

Cheers

Jim

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 pm

OMG i thought that was real :shock:

In other words, bloomin amazin :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Hello Jim

I have to say that your efforts are utterly top drawer. I particularly like the feel to your track. Maybe it's just the correct spacing that does it, but the trunking really helps too ;) I particularly look forward to the tall round building that you're attempting next (I've no idea what it's called but I know the one you mrean, lol!)

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Fantastic. I've been through and changed at this station so many times and looking at the shots makes me feel like i'm actually standing at one of the platform ends. Enjoying the progress on this one.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks Tim and Stuart

Eagle eyed visitors to this thread may have noticed a 'gap' in the scenery at the end of platform 1. The real place has a little area with clutter including a large tank. What its for I have no idea!

Anyway efforts to fill the hole are underway and the following shows my progress so far. It all needs a spot of weathering to bring it all together yet.

The tank is actually a prit stik lid wrapped with some etched smokebox wrappers I had in my spares box. The upper bit is the core of a till receipt roll!

Cheers

Jim
Last edited by Jim S-W on Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”