Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sishades

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Postby sishades » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:10 am

Is New Street finished?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 am

Nah. It’s a lifetime project so there’s a good chance it never will be. I’ve not even started the eastern approaches yet.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:12 pm

A while ago I showed a picture of a Powsides ED 7 plank wagon.  ED stands for Earl of Dudley and I said at the time that it was a bit early for the layout and that that PR, Pensnett Railway would be more appropriate. A chance discussion on an industrial railway modellers Facebook group revealed that Planet Industrials actually do a set of transfers for PR wagons so a set was duly ordered.
A couple of existing wagons were repainted into red oxide (the 'shunters truck' and a grey 7 plank RCH design) and a couple more RCH wagons were knocked up from good old Parkside kits. I decided to keep the Powsides ED one as it was  (although weathered a bit more to make it look more tatty) and do the shunters truck as ED too in a sort of crossover period.  Ive never found a photo of ED and PR wagons mixed together mind you.

The above train is all very 'corporate' and it wont appear at shows like this.  The PR wagons will be jumbled up among other mineral wagons. One thought I have had though is by making Brettell Road 2 tracks the industrials will look too out of place on the mainline so the plan is to extend the siding the train is on to the fiddleyard and have them appear from behind the warehouse, using the yard as a exchange sidings.

I was intrigued by the recent Oxford rail tank wagons and decided the yellow Carless Petrol version would break up the sea of grey and bauxite wagons on the layout. As with the ED wagons its really a bit to early for Brettell Road so I've weathered it up to look pretty tired.  Theres a few things worth noting with this model. The first is the axle length is odd. Happily its still 2mm and its not odd in a crazy short, Lima way so you can swap P4 wheels onto it and use the original axles. The second thing is that the lettering and the red stripe don't react well to white spirit. If you want to remove them then great but if you use enamel washes thinned with white spirit for any of your weathering, as I do, and you want to preserve the livery its best to give it a quick coat of matt varnish first.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip regarding white spirit on the Oxford Rail tank.
It looks very convincing have you done anything more than just weathering ?
I'm old fashioned and still use 100% enamel paints.
More interesting stock and superb photos - Thanks.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Just swapped the wheels and couplings and re-aligned the brakes Geoff

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:14 pm

While I've been in a brake van kinda mood I finally got around to improving an old Hornby LMS 20ton version I had and making it a tad more suitable for Brettell Road.
Pretty basic detailing job on this one.

A selection of Midland versions.

Actually this brake van originally came from the Amlwch layout along with the above 47 and 24. Of the three the class 24 is as it was brought. the 47 having been brought a bit more up to date (well 1987 anyway).  I wonder if Amlwch is still around somewhere?

Bit of a different angle.  Let's call this train an internal user?

Haven't done a rainy pic for a while. NBL class 21 nestles between another pair of type 2s.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:37 am

Brake Vans !!
Currently on my LMS Parkside kit and you've made me think "Why didn't I think about adding the safety bars"?
I might just do that now, didn't think about how different & better it makes them look.
Also realised I have 22 various brake vans so perhaps not all will be retro fitted. How did that happen ?

I particularly like your 'Internal User' photograph. These really do give inspiration to others, Thanks.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:37 pm

They say every day’s a school day... I had not noticed the safety bars before.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:24 pm

D131D73D-4A60-4A4B-B2E1-8F2E073EBE42.jpeg

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:22 pm

OK this one isn't a particularly difficult exercise.  The Oxford tank wagon re-liveried to Shell/BP livery.  On my first Oxford tank I mentioned that the printing came off really easily with white spirit but not this one.  This needed IPA and a fair bit of elbow grease!   I added a discharge pipe and the logos came from Fox (they are a smidge to big for this little tank to be honest).  I noticed, too late, that Oxford have modelled both of the vertical end ribs facing the same way on these tanks.

Next up a diagram 2070 12 ton goods van.  When I built my diagram 2108 van from  parkside kit I used the ends from a ratio 12 ton van as the Parkside ones are the wrong shape. The rest of the ratio kit sat in it's box until I recently decided to do something with it.  These vans, although looking very LMS were actually built (for the LMS) by the Southern in 1942.  I files off the metal framing a the ends and re-scribed the planks. The ends were just scratchbuilt from plasticard using the vent left over from the afore mentioned Parkside kit. Image
The finished van.  Bufffers are from Accurascale and the old label from Holler.

Next, an Airfix LMS brake van chopped up to be rearranged into a Diagram 1890 version or 'reverse Stanier' as they are sometime called.
As can be seen theres not much too this one and it makes quite a good project for those new to chopping stuff up.  These models can be found really cheaply so theres not a lot to loose.  The ends have been scribed as the upper 'window' section squared off with plasticard as filler.  A bit of microstrip for the vertical frame and the upper beading on the sides was sanded back.
The finished Van.  Don't forget to redo the steps on the solebars!

This is a cheeky little one. Basically the Parkside kit for the diagram 1657 20 ton brake van but with the wheelbase extended from 12 to 14 feet to produce a diagram 1940 version. One of those ones that i'll be surprised if anyone notices!

The same cant be said for this though, I think people might notice!  Same start point of the parkside kit but rebuilt to a diagram 1799 40 ton bogie brake van.  The LMS built 3 of these specifically for the Copley Hill to Armley line and thats where they stayed.  I just liked it for its wierdness really!

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:18 am

I often drop by this thread to see what's new, but (for some reason), fail to leave a comment... I'm quite possibly too awestruck by the incredibly high standard displayed here.

However, since I am a bit of a brake van 'ned', the latest products from the BR workshops (see what I did there?) are of interest to me; I may have to have a bash at one of those 'Reverse Staniers' myself...
I've always liked the 40 tonner (I believe there was a kit of this produced a good few years ago). Inspired by the LMS design, I produced a poorly executed 'what-if' using a few spares I had.

Incredible and inspirational work as ever, Jim.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm

Thanks Don

I think the etched kit was from falcon brass but not 100% sure

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:46 pm

Ditto. Awestruck.
Nessie rocks!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:49 pm

Yes. It is all so incredibly amazing. I am glad that I have seen this thread. Jim S-W. You have amazing patience. Do you have very small hands and eyes, as I don't see how you can model in such detail, let alone paint your creations afterwards.
I find that my "That will do... It works!" approach to 7mm narrow gauge enough for me. I don't know where to start if I modelled in P4.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Thanks all

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”