Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Postby glencairn » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:50 am

Outstanding, Jim. Thanks for showing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Absolutely stunning, as usual

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun May 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks all

With Brettell Road's new roof design the last thing to do was remove the original pelmet.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting that removing it would open up the layout quite as much as it has.

This is the view from my eye height. Obviously this higher angle wasn't available to me before now.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun May 03, 2020 4:24 pm

Just some of Brettell Road's vehicles.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun May 03, 2020 5:05 pm

Another 'notch up the levels'. Excellent.

Glencairn

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun May 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Everything looks so real with the weathered grime that it makes me want to give them a new fresh coat of paint! :D Must have taken you ages to get the look right. Quite a tallent you have there.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat May 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Anyone modelling in 4mm scale for any length of time has probably come across the Airfix/Mainline/possibly Dapol/ Bachmann 21, 22 or 24 ton Iron ore hoppers. Based on a Charles Roberts version with the standard, at the time, stretched to fit compromises to fit a generic 10ft wagon chassis. They do however make a good little project for 'tarting up a bit'.

Geoff Kent wrote a great article about just such an exercise in MRJ 182. I have however deviated from his sage advice in a few areas.

The hopper is easy with 3mm cut out center but offset to the side of the bracing to hide the cut. For the chassis I cut it into 3 parts to retain the middle detail. Geoff thinned the base and removed the top of the chassis on his models but I decided to cut the base away around the edge and mount the chassis flush with the top. The chassis being a Parkside 9ft example.

The door closing gear was knocked up from microstrip and a few bits of brass., Shiny bits on the chassis came from Ambis, Mainly Trains and Bill Bedford.

After a light weathering. I still need to add the rain effect yet mind you. The ladders are from Stenson Models.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat May 16, 2020 9:44 pm

The diesels have escaped to Brettell Road again. Actually its just a convenient photo background but there you go.

New Street isn't known for its freight operations but there were some services booked through the station on a fairly regular basis. Normally late at night and of those steel traffic was quite common. To that end I have recently finished off a few old Cambrian bogie wagons that have been lurking in my half started box for a while now.

First up a BDA. When I started this model there was no Stenson Models so sometimes, letting a model live in the half started area for too many years works out as a positive. The little kit for the braking gear lifts the model. I've used Jon Hall etched bogie inserts with the Cambrian bogie sides but if you want better, sprung bogies with nicer sideframes then Stenson models do those too.

I replaced the supplied bolsters (when i say replaced I actually mean lost!) with microstrip which better suited the wooden ones fitted to the earlier conversions anyway!

In a not entirely unrealistic scenario, a class 56 heads towards Round Oak.

BAA also from a Cambrian kit.

... and a BBA.

Although my Yorkshire DE02 is part of the Brettell Road fleet they were still very much around in the late 1980s and still in their original wasp livery so this scene isn't implausible either!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun May 17, 2020 12:09 pm

A stunning set of photographs of well made wagons set in amazing scenery.

Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Glencairn

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Sun May 17, 2020 4:06 pm

When I look at your pictures, I swear I can smell Bull Street and Silver End. Congratulations, superb as always.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:38 pm

Back in the early days of Brettell Road I represented rain falling on the canal as seen above.

Over the years however the effect of this became lost so I have revisited this area of the layout to get the effect back. Also to make the canal look a little more downtrodden. I have used a thin layer of clear resin and the same baking soda in wet varnish trick as I used originally. Results are below.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 am

The shadows on the water and wall in the penultimate photo really make it one that could fool many people in an identity parade of real and model photos.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:25 am

One runs out of superlatives over this wonderful layout. A case of re-reading the thread and admire such beauty.

Thanks Jim.

Glencairn

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm

One little project I have been dipping in and out of now and then has been the station buildings for part 2 of Brettell Road.

This is the smaller building. The real buildings at Brettell Lane were wooden but of a GWR origin. As Brettell road is more midland I used the Ratio (previously Parkside) LNWR station panels. These or similar were used in the Birmingham area so that was near enough. The canopy valence and supports are from London road models and the poster boards from N brass. The chimney is from Unit models.

The side in the first picture faces away from the public so rather than have a blank wall I decided to give the viewers a sense of being inside the building. (it is supposed to be raining remember, who wants to stand outside?)

The main building is the same but bigger. The above image gives a rough feel of the look I'm after. I actually shot it like this because I haven't done the roof yet!

I have mentioned in a previous post the idea of letting the layout have little bit of a life of its own. Originally i was going to use the name Brettell Grove not Brettell Road so why not an old station nameboard with the original name?

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:02 am

G'Day Gents

Always a visual treat, lovely work.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”