Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jim S-W

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Sometimes you can be busy but really not have anything to show. As I'm on the final run in to the DEMU show next weekend I've been looking at a few things that fit into this bracket. Starting with...

My loading gauge. Originally from the Smiths kit, its white metal construction for the main post was just too susceptible to knocks and getting bent out of shape during an exhibition. I had used brass wire for the wires and after a few times bending it back to shame it was all starting to look a bit of a mess. <

So i rebuilt it from brass instead. The wires this time are easy-line. I did keep the original bow mind you

Moving on to, perhaps, a more literal interpretation of the post title

The baseboard join is just a bit too obvious for my liking so I've revisited this too.

I found some soft rubber sheeting in my local hobbycraft. It's smooth on one side and has this texture on the other. I cut it into strips and blended the top edge into the existing scenery with static grass, ballast and paint. The result can be seen below.

Finally a simple little project using a left over base toys trailer.

This is what I started with. which is, lets face it, a bit naff

Using the Langley models kingwheel kit you can turn it into something half decent. The kit caters for single and twin wheels so that's all to need for both axles. In reality you could knock up the tailer bed from bits of plasticard in a leisurely 10 minutes!

The finished trailer after a spot of weathering. The reason for posting such a simple little project is to demonstrate that anyone can have a go at something like this for very little money. There's no need to attack your latest RTR loco as a first attempt as this can teach a lot with ultimately very little to loose. We have the modification of the plastic bed. Use of white metal components (Have a crack at low melt soldering) adapting kits for your own uses and weathering. Sure its tempting to go for a headline loco if you are new to the hobby but something this simple will also teach a lot of skills. Plus if it all goes horribly wrong you can just throw it away, the lessons learned never follow it into the bin!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Ugggg Base board joints !!!
SO difficult to hide, the more a layout travels around and assembled the more they tend to show.
That rubber gasget idea certainly helps, with your clarity of photographs just making it even more
difficult to hide.
Always sublime scenery Jim, one day I'll see it in the flesh, even if I have to persuade the club to
have a two day show !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Such a high standard, Jim. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:30 pm

For DEMU I figured that my usual method or the round oak trains appearing on scene - i.e. an open wagon with a shunter look out and an industrial diesel pushing from the back was probably just a bit too archaic. So I figured the guys at Round Oak got themselves and ancient brake van in a somewhat token effort to appear to obey the rules!
So here we have a very tired brake van from the recently re-introduced Slaters kit. I returned to the crackle paints I had used on the signal box for this one.

On the subject of old vehicles, an old ratio kit for a GWR open c. These were a bit odd as they had the sides and underframe as one piece. I separated them and made up new underframes with bits from Bill Bedford, Ambis Engineering and Model Railway developments.

Sticking with the GWR a Mink A to diagram V12. This uses a much more modern kit from Parkside with more Model Railway development parts.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Just run out of superlatives Jim.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Recent attention had been on a couple of older RTR efforts. Starting with...
...a Lima CCT. Yes I know there's a Bachmann one now but the Lima one isn't all that bad given its age. It suffers from the sometimes common Lima trait of getting most of it about right but then blowing it on something obvious for no apparent reason. In this case the W-irons are just too far from where they should be.
This can be addressed with replacements from ABS (or at least it used to be!). New roof vents and underframe bits and bobs plus filing off the, freelance, window frames and we're about there.

Next the old Hornby hand crane. This one uses rollers and a counterweight from Jon Hall. I've widened the jib and added extra details.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 pm

So to draw a line under the last post. The Lima CCT is finished off and ready for service.

So is the crane. It rides very high as supplied so I ground the bearing slots down and removed a bit of material from under the axleboxes (its still a smidge to high). Seems strange that Hornby raised the ride height on all their models to accommodate their tension lock coupling. Why not just make that smaller instead?
The end shackles are from Roxey and the cables are the heavier e-z line. Transfers are from Cambridge Custom Transfers. The single plank wagon is just standing in at the moment.

One of the issues with Brettell road is the height it sits at. The subject of layout height is a thorny one but I take the view that operator comfort trumps everything else. After all we will be working on the layout for a couple of days . Currently its a bit low which I've got round by asking show organisers to provide chairs. From a sitting position its just about the right height.
However I've been thinking of doing a more traditional style, separate roof and here it is mocked up. It's designed so that it all slots together and no screws or bolts will be required. It will still have a material roof to shield the ambient light but it should make the layout itself a little lighter too. The plan is for the original pelmet to be removed.
Last edited by Jim S-W on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:10 pm

Hi Jim great stuff as usual! The Hornby ride height goes further back than even the tensionlock coupler. The original Triang plastic two part wheel sets on a steel axle only had a 10mm diameter wheel with the worlds most enormous flanges. They were intended to have a variable back to back, the two wheel sections could move apart on the axle to go through the pointwork. When they changed to a more normal design of wheel the diameter was just over 11mm but all of the axleboxes were designed for a 10mm wheel which made everything ride a bit higher, and if you fit 12mm wheels the error is immediately apparent when buffered up to models from any other stable. At one point Hornby bought back from Dapol the former Hornby Dublo designed wagons which Triang had given away to Wrenn, so you can still find them amongst the Railroad offerings, they are the ones where the buffers are nearer the correct height.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:08 am

Operator Comfort tops all !! Jim a sign of passing time !!!!
More iconic work and I just love the fact that Base Toys lorries, Lima originals
are modeled with great skill into something rather special. Proving skill and
imagination are more important than deep pockets. Mind you nothing wrong
with deep pockets ........

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:09 am

Such a very high standard throughout. Love it.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Way back towards the start of this project I posted the above image. The little black tank wagon at the far end was a Peco wonderful wagon kit and avid follows of this little adventure might notice nothing has really been said of it since.

It was pretty quickly joined with a companion and the pair have been lurking near my workbench ever since. Well now they are finally done and ready to go. Modifications to the original kit were to replace the w-irons with Bill Bedford ones. New ladders from Stenson models and new handbrakes from Ambis. I didn't really like the mounting rods as supplied so these were replaced with 0.6mm brass tube. The ends being flattened with pliers. The walkways came from my spares box.

The crane has its runner from a Cambrian kit. Its a little freelance is based loosely on an image of a similar but steel wagon I found on Paul Bartletts site at Bescot. The steps are spares from a Bachmann class 25.

Before i settled on the Cambrian route for the crane runner I found an image of a diagram 1/001 lowfit that caught my eye. Built by BR they had a LNER style body on an LMS style chassis. Bachmann do this RTR but the chassis is completely wrong so its been replaced with a Parkside one. The mineral is diagram 1/119 21 tonner from The Chivers kit. (Tim had some lying around when I last went over). This wagon would be very new in the Brettell road period. This is also the upper end of my build it rigid approach to wagon building. Any longer wheelbase than this and I tend to go for springing.

Speaking of Tim we have been working on a curved version of his display shelves with a few design tweaks such as the more solid locking of the ends and little clear 'buffer stops' for the ends. The 4mm scale versions are ready to go, see Tims website https://www.timhorn.co.uk/new-products/

Finally a co-bo on a parcels train for no other reason than why not?

dursleydog

Postby dursleydog » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:34 pm

So much atmosphere in this model, especially in that B&W shot! Looks incredible.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Top quality modelling as usual. The transformation of the crane is amazing.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Several years ago now DJ models appeared with much fanfare (Although only in one place if we are being completely honest) and announced a brand new J94 model. This was of interest to me as 2 of them were used by the NCB in the local area. While it would have been a nice to have I was never going to go for the RTR effort but i did hope that if it was good enough it might see a few unstated Brassmasters kits appear which would be a little more up my street.
In the end this didn't really happen so the idea was kind of abandoned until the good folk at Brassmasters mentioned they had a unfinished test build of their kit somewhere. Money changed hands and a slightly different style of project was formed to what I've done in the past.

So this is what i was presented with (albeit with a Giesel chimney that I replaced with a RT models casting) and a little box of spare parts. I've never finished a half started loco kit before and with no instructions and not knowing what bits I didn't have it was going to be a bit of an adventure.

The easy route would be to just add the body detailing and finished what I had but the chassis was missing most of its representation of valve gear and I didn't have any of these bits in my little box of spares.

The chassis as supplied.
My friend Les supplied me with a copy of the original instructions (which sort of helped a little) and members of the Scalefour Society forum kindly provided pictures of the etches, some finished models and some prototype pictures so I set to work.

The detailed up body, using prototype pictures as a guide.

The Chassis. I used a Brassmasters inside motion kit, shortened by 3mm and simplified. The prototype locos seeming to have a much more rudimentary arrangement than the LMS locos the Brassmasters kit is intended for. I also couldn't use the original central pivoted rocking beam compensation so I have sprung the front two axles from a central pivot on either side instead.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:42 pm

When I picked up my nearly finished J94 kit it came with an already assembled Branchlines Gearbox. Try as I might I just couldn't get on with it. For some reason it seemed to have very little torque but this wasn't sacrificed for speed as it didn't really have much of that either )perhaps the energy was being used bu by the noise it generated?). So admitting defeat I swapped it for a High Level Road Runner +. What a difference that made!

Another little problem I came across was the lack of space between the inside motion and the springs I fitted on the front 2 axles. I had used a short handrail knob in the same way that the advocates of CSB systems use but it was all just a little bit too tight for comfort. So I ditched that and just soldered a couple of springs to the inside of the chassis - Number 10 guitar springs for the centre axle and number 12 for the front bearing on the top of the axles. Anyone with any kind of knowledge of how things should be done are probably reading the rest of this post from behind a sofa but it works so that's fine in my eyes!

Anyway its done so here's a few pictures.

Here's a very short video of the inside motion at work

https://youtu.be/U25uxqmXASg

Below are a few evening images.

Another little video - this time a spot of shunting. There's a few stutters which I am hoping a little more running in will iron out.

https://youtu.be/_tpmofUONcA

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”