Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jaz

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Postby Jaz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:23 pm

haven't seen your work in a long time, and there is some juicy stuff to look at too, lovely modelling as always

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:09 pm

My class 21 project is now finished. Above is a before and after comparison. Not a lot more to add really so here are a selection of images.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:22 pm

The blue one looks a bit naff, Jim. :lol:

Love the 'after' especially the night shots.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:53 pm

glencairn wrote:The blue one looks a bit naff, Jim. :lol:

Glencairn

Funny but I thought that too!

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Excellent photography as usual.
Pete

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Just decided to do a few images, including a view of the canal which I've never gotten round to and a few experiments.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Lovely photographs, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:18 pm

That canal shot is superb. I love the planks and stuff in the water, very realistic.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Really atmospheric Jim, you have a real skill there.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:57 pm

You really make the class 21 look supurb. I can't think why there is the need to buy one of the new versions of them as the old ones are nice, quiet and smooth runners (Mine was anyway) and low geared. Yes, there maybe work required to make them look better, but isn't that part of the fun of modelling? It makes me think that sometimes, with all the new versions of models, if in general we are losing the ability to model (And I am not saying that I could do a decent job as some of my efforts were... ummm...). But that class 21 looks ace! Well done.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am

As usual from you Jim,

Superb photographs of your excellent work. Evening, or mornining scenes
have so much atmosphere, but to get the right results I would think quite
difficult.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:27 pm

In September I will be doing a demo at Scaleforum entitled getting the most from older models. Regular readers will know I have a bit of a thing for starting with old models that many will have long ago consigned to the bin. To this end I thought id look at a couple of old building kits too. Namely Airfix.

The Airfix Signal box is based on the one at Oakham which is a Midland Railway type 2a box from the early 1900's I liked the look of the platform mounted version at Kings Heath (which is a type 3a) so set to work
The kit as supplied is too wide. I used some etched windows from Pheonix models and reduced the ends to fit. I binned the roof and knocked up a new end platform from microstrip. I wanted to use this model to try out a few new (to me) painting ideas.

First step was to paint it in an aged wood colour. The wood effect is pretty easy and quick if you work more like a painter and less like a modeller

I use these 4 Revell enamel colours as they are nice and matt. They are numbers 47 (mouse grey), 88 (ochre brown) , 84 (leather brown) and 9 (anthracite grey). The actual colours aren't that critical. I use a dunk and dip technique and work on a base of Halfords grey primer. I dunk the brush into the mouse grey and ochre brown and lightly dip the tip into the leather and anthracite. All at the same time so that the brush is loaded with layers of colours. Then is just a simple case of drawing the brush across the model and letting the colours mix themselves. You don't want them to mix too well so try and do one stroke per plank and work in the direction of the wood. The trick is to let the brush do the random work for you and not to fight it too much. My end result was a smidge dark so when dry, i drybrushed more mouse grey lightly over the model.

This is what ended up with. I then gave it a couple of coats of matt varnish.

This is the bit thats new so me. Ranger distress paints. The large scale guys have been using these for a while with good results but the method for smaller scales seems a bit different. The pain is intended to be dabbed on quite think and left so that it starts to crackle and flake on it own. For our scale i found it better to brush it on on 2 coats. This doesn't do any 'magic though so the next stage is with a fine sanding stick to give it a little help. Again working in the direction of the wood.

Heres the result. Distressed but not weathered. Another coat of mar varnish and then back to enamels, used this time as a thin wash. I added an interior from Ratio and a signaller from Modelu. The finished result can be seen below

manna

Postby manna » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:12 pm

G'Day Gents

That's a good effect, very nice.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm

This post has a bit of a common theme about it. Its all about 3's and 0's! With DEMU show coming up at the start of June I plan to show Brettell road with a bit more of a diesel bias than usual. While I have a lot of blue stock I could use I want ot keep it late 50's very early 60's so my blue stuff is a none starter (although I might consider a fully blue show one day). Figuring that a few more green diesels wouldn't go amis I've been busy.

New Street has a lot of class 31's and I've always liked them. In the early days (when they were class 30's) they weren't all that common in the midlands being more of an eastern region machine. However a cheap Lima one was found in green and I set to work on a quickie conversion. As the longest train on Brettell road is less than 4 feet there was really no reason to abandon the lima pancake motor for this one so i just fitted extra pickups and more weight. Incidentally the builders plaque is one of the Railtec 3D transfers and very nice they are too! Just a bit of weathering required.

Funny how doing something subtly different leads to moments of realisation! I've never quite thought that the Lima none plated headcode class 31's looked quite right somehow. It wasn't until i looked at the green one that I realised it because its too small. Someone in lima must have realised this as well as the printing for the headcode box is much bigger than the molding. So while i was fixing the headcode on the green one I did the 2 blue ones i have as well (using a rudimentary jig). The original size is on the left and the revised one on the right.

Switching the 3 and 0 around I've also been working on a class 03 shunter using an old mainline body and a high level chassis. As with all High level chassis kits I've tried so far they just work from the box. Everything is worked out already and its all just a bit, well. easy!
This one is going to be D2387 which is one of, I believe, 3 that were allocated to Monument Lane shed and worked as station pilot for New Street as well as occasional forays further afield (Harbourne branch being an example). It was a Doncaster example and didn't last long enough to receive a tops number, being stored in 1972 and scrapped the following year.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 13, 2019 10:11 pm

Still working my way through the dregs of my wagon kits for Brettell road

Another couple of mineral wagons. An unfitted one from Airfix and a fitted one from Parkside. It's a bit of a thing to make all mineral wagons rusty so I decided to model the latter in nearly new condition. The SR brake van is an older Cambrian kit and needed a fair bit of modification to look like the real thing. I can take no credit for working out what as its all outlined here (http://www.clag.org.uk/sr-brake.html)

My class 03 and 30 are now done and ready for service. Some pictures follow.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”