Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Jim S-W

Re: Birmingham New Street in P4

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 pm

So lets start with a buildings and a request, When I posted the image of the pub at night I was asked for a picture of the area in the light so here it is.

This also shows the water tower I was working on too, speaking of which…
Remember the lower part of the Hornby water tower I was fiddling with and how I didn't worry too much about details? This is the reason why - you can just about see it, if you know where to look!
Moving on to some wagons. This is the Chivers kit for a Dia1674 LMS Bolster wagon. A nice simple kit to build although given the long wheelbase I did opt for Bill Bedford springing.
This was supposed to be a quick win. I liked the local livery and thought that it would break up the sea of grey and bauxite wagons. Its a Bachmann product but an older one that was stretched to fit their 10ft wheelbase steel chassis. Some careful cutting in 4 places lost some of the extra length and while it is still too long it does now fit the longer Cambrian wooden chassis.
I've finished off the vans I was working on too. Not a lot more to add about them really but here's the pictures. LMS 6 wheel fish van - Chivers Kit.
LMS GUV
Palethorpes 6 wheel van
And the larger bogie version - Transfers are from Cambridge custom transfers. Sheet BL153 covers the 6 wheel vans while sheet BL154 covers the bogie vans.

dougalmac2

Re: Birmingham New Street and Brettell Road in P4

Postby dougalmac2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Jim

Love those wagons. Is the LMS GUV a kit or scratchbuild?

Mac

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:19 pm

It's the Lima one. Bogies are brassmasters with MJT sideframes and the underframe bits are from comet. Buffers are from Lanarkshire models

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Right in the centre, look past the loading gauge

dougalmac2

Postby dougalmac2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks Jim.

Must keep my eyes open for one.

Mac

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Recently attention has returned to the main warehouse with the top floor being finished off and the ceiling added.
I decided on a sort of rest room that wasn't lit. I quite liked the idea of light from deeper in the building coming through the internal windows and bouncing off the tables and chairs.
On the main floor, again just a hint of activity.

After much experimentation and having tried different materials (thanks to those who made suggestions) I have settled on black latex from a surgical glove for the Kirtley weather hood.
After some good, constructive feedback I've made a few tweaks to the 94xx tank. The chimney cap has been swapped back to the original lima one which was mounted in my mini-drill and 'improved' with a sanding stick. The whistles have been replaced with a shielded set from Modelu and the toolboxes have been made 20 thou deeper.
The 2 latest loco's together. Is it me or does the pannier look like it dwarfs the Kirtley? Finally below another mood shot!

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Looking smart Jim,

js1975

Postby js1975 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:33 pm

Impressive work as always.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am

This is railway modelling of the highest order.
The picture of the 2 locos in the rain in the dark is just amazing.

Pete (RailwayRobbo)

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:25 pm

Work continues on buildings for Brettell Road
The big warehouse now has a roof (thanks to Mr Horn for his laser cut tiles. Just the bridges and front/backscenes to do on this board and I can call it done.
Looking the other way, I knocked up a very low relief building to go behind the pub.
Across the alley way is this small building based on a local one I found in Brierley Hill.
Work in progress on its neighbour. Again local influences but nothing specific. I don't know if I will need a small outbuilding here to fill up the space or if ill just leave it open for clutter.
The other side - I've a vague idea that this will be some sort of woodworking industry or perhaps a commercial vehicle repair shop.

If you have explored my website you might have come across this picture before, I brought this loco years ago just because I like class 27s but thoughts have turned to doing something useful with it. This loco has become a bit of a clone of Brettell road itself in a way as it started out with the simple idea of just fitting a chip and sorting out the bogies and that would do. nothing to serious but like Brettell Road it's all gone a bit wrong!
moving the bogie springs in a bit and fitting the decoder was easy enough but the roof fan looked horrible. unfortunately the hole is too big for Brian's nicely etched replacement so that ended up being a bit more of a faff than I hoped! Then there were the nose end doors. They needed adding along with the details. I renumbered it to an example I found at Saltley (Class 27s were quite regular visitors to the midlands in their early lives) and re-weathered it. Also while I remember the yellow panels were too wide so a spot of Pheonix BR loco green sorted that out.
On the mention of roof fans this is one of Brian's for the class 20. I always quite liked them. I think it stems from a pair sitting outside my bedroom window one Sunday as a kid while the down North Warwickshire line was being relayed. I quite like the idea of them working on their own so I decided to get a green one. The grill is made up of 4 parts. A plain ring that goes onto the roof first. The ring with with the bracing and then the mesh, finally the last ring goes on. Zap pink is ideal for this and make sure you get the mesh the right way up!

On the loco itself I replaced the bogie sideframes with Heljan Baby Deltic ones as first suggested by my friend Shane. I had done this on my Lima ones and, this being my first Bachmann example, I was surprised to find the supplied bogies were quite poor too. I filled the lower beam on the bogie ans sanded it smooth as I was doing one of the first batch. Buffers were from Lanarkshire models.

Harringay Dave

Postby Harringay Dave » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:40 pm

Jim,

I grew up on Brettell Lane, in the row of houses opposite the Nissan garage. I find Brettell Road a delightful representation of that area. Perhaps the best compliment I can pay is that having lived in the area for 23 years before hopping down to the Big Town, the style and little flourishes you've included have left me feeling rather homesick for down at heel, post-industrial Silver End.

Magic stuff.

Edit: the shot of the locos in the rain is one of the finest model shots I've seen.

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks

That's rather surprising but very much appreciated. I'm used to similar reactions to new street because it looks like the place but brettell road is a real mish mash of local influences. I'm glad it conjours up the place for those familiar with the area.

Jim

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Jim

I have been stalking this thread for years and as an armchair Modeler, didn't feel worthy of sullying your thread. My recent foray back into modelling has caused me to spend much more time on the forum and spurred me to write a comment.

Simply fantastic modelling.

I wont even aspire to your level, as I know its beyond my skill, but i will keep pushing the boundaries of my limitations to get closer to your level.
My recent experimentation with Linka and fighting the joins, leads me to ask, how do you get "seamless joints in your long brickwork?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Mon May 01, 2017 9:52 pm

The industrial buildings which spread out either side of Brettell Lane between Silver End and Collis Street were a mish-mash of styles from the ornate (the entrance building to Harris and Pearson, which is still in tact), to the forboding (most of the others). That is why it works so well for the people who knew the area. If you look on Google Streetview at Bull Street, between the canal and the railway, some of the old walls still remain. Your buildings certainly do evoke the spirit of the area in the 60's except for two aspects. One, they are far too clean, and two, I bet they don't smell as bad! Like Harringay Dave, I too miss the old place.

As ever , brilliant work.
Last edited by Kindling on Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks for the pictures Jim. You truly never fail to impress! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”