Finnington

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Hulldude15

Finnington

Postby Hulldude15 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm

This layout was formerly known as Crimple Beck Station.
Now it is called Finnington: Click here for latest updates.

Or keep reading to see the layout from the start:

-------

Hi,

I have slowly been building my model railway in my shed since September. I am a complete beginner and have been taking lots of advice from this forum. I have a few pics and a video, which I hope will be able to show you the layout and how much I have done so far. The inside is pinned all the way round, and some other sections are too. Sorry about all the clutter and junk you may see in the pics and also the quality of some of them.

1st Pic shows half of the layout, the door is on the right. All the section in green is pinned and mostly ballasted (except the incline).
The other half of the layout (Door to left). The points(right of pic) are also pinned.
A few pics of the station, I am will eventually get a modern station building to go on there.
One entrance to the station, I messed around with some flock and scatter, and I think its looks quite good :) .
A picture of the back straight. Bits aren't joined up yet, but hopefully it's shows roughly what will happen. The two middle lines will be in a hill. And a point will take trains of into a siding under the flat section of the incline and go round the back of it, which you may be able to see.
My loco's, I have also got a Mallard in BR Green and a resprayed class 47, which I found cheap on eBay. It's a mixture of era's as I want to run what I like and the era not meant to be realistic. But the scenic side I will hopefully get realistic.

I will try and update as regularly as possible, but it's getting dark and cold and it's 100m to the shed, so usually I can't be bothered, but hopefully you will all plead for more updates and I will feel guilty if I don't provide any! :lol: .

All the equipment I will need for putting my bus wire in, is coming shortly, so it will be electrical updates next probably. Oh, and also more track laying.

Criticisms, advice and questions are all welcome.

Hulldude15

P.S. A video is coming shortly, photobucket is being slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :x
Last edited by Hulldude15 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Hulldude15

Re: Crimple Beck Station

Postby Hulldude15 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Here's the video, excuse the crash at the end :) :

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Hello Hulldude15

For a first attempt,you should be proud of yourself as what you have achieved so far is really good.I espeically like how you have incorporated an incline into the track layout,well done!. :)
Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:16 pm

That's a nice big space to 'play' in! I also like the way the incline blends in with the rest of the layout and is very gradual, nicely executed!
looks like there's going to be plenty of space for scenery and buildings etc, that's something i wish i had thought about more on my layout as it's going to be a bit cramped i think! Make the most of the space you've got for some nice scenes and scenarios and it'll be lovely! Looking forward to more updates when you eventually find your way back to the shed! :wink: . I always find that pliers have a habit of turning up where you least expect them to! :lol: .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!
Stumpy wrote:I always find that pliers have a habit of turning up where you least expect them to! .

That made me laugh :) !

I am hopefully go to have some sort of station car-park/Bus terminal adjacent to the station (Similar to stroley central), but that will be a project for next year definitely. Building wise, I was thinking of small street with a few shops and houses which someone kindly gave me, but apart from a few cottages here and there I really want it to be quite scenic.

Stumpy wrote:Looking forward to more updates when you eventually find your way back to the shed

Will get down tomorrow night! :D

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:10 am

Internet has been broken and I have been very busy, so I will post more pics on Monday

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello Hulldude 15,
At least you'll be fit, and able, to enjoy modelling, ideal for the current economic climate :lol: A night-school course in Navigating Skills, to find your shed, will probably prove useful :) Have you considered modelling a Fish Processing Plant and Fish Wagon Freight to match? Keep-up the good work, looking forward to more on this Lay-out,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 pm

another layout in a shed... thats we have in common. A very good start, should be proud of what you achieved so far, problem I find in the shed is temperature always a good idea to bring locos in doors to keep them warm as Ive now done as they don't like it.

Look forward to seeing more as you progress!

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm

mattmay05 wrote:another layout in a shed... thats we have in common. A very good start, should be proud of what you achieved so far, problem I find in the shed is temperature always a good idea to bring locos in doors to keep them warm as Ive now done as they don't like it.

Look forward to seeing more as you progress!

Thanks for the advice. I do keep my trains in the house, but when it becomes warmer I may leave them there overnight.

Today I did more track laying, the 2nd inside track is 3/4 completed, just flexible track to go in now. Will post some pics of it soon. Keep the comments coming, good or bad, I enjoy reading them! :)

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

More pics now! Done more track laying, all of the second inside track is down.

From This on Saturday

To this:

No more pics taken I'm afraid. But I do have a question, where I have pinned track down, I have occasionally hit the track with my hammer, this has caused a bit of damage, as seen here:

Does anyone think this may be a problem in the future?

And one final thing:

I am going to have a railway cottage here:
It will have a garden hopefully, but does anyone know a good way of making a nice little garden for it, and what it could include? I need inspiration! :wink:

Also behind it, I have this space:

I was thinking of putting my hornby roadside restaurant there, with a road leading from the station carpark, it might be a little cramped though, anyone got any ideas instead of that?!

That's all for now folks! :D

Hulldude15

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I have done the exact same damage to my old 00 gauge track in the past.
In the end I drove the nail in so far and then used the tip of a phillips screwdriver as a punch to knock them in the last bit.
I did try using a proper nail punch but all that did was continually bend the pins,at least with the screwdriver I only bent every other one :D
Looks like you are driving them in a bit too far,the sleeper shouldn't really be deformed like that.

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Ah, I picked the worst ones anyway, I think the sleeper looks derformed because that pin went in sideways, and bent the sleeper. But I do agree, I may be pinning them too hard.

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi dude! :D ,

Nice to see a bit of progress there mate, i shouldn't think the damage would affect train running too much, just a couple of extra 'clickety clacks' as the train runs over them! I found using a small hand drill to pre-drill the holes for the track pins makes a huge difference, here's a picture of the one i use,

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58 ... s011-2.jpg

I think it's called an Archimedes drill, you just push it down and let it up a few times and it twists the drill bit through the sleeper and into the board, as long as you use a slightly smaller drill bit than the pin then it's much easier to just lightly tap the pin into the hole with much more control so you don't have to whack 'em in! :wink: .

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:59 pm

I know you are in OO, but for my n gauge i use long nose pliers, hold the pin half way down, push it in, once it gets to rail hieght i push down with the pliers onto the pin head. simples :D
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am

Wotcha! Me again! :D ,

Just an idea for the garden for the cottage, i haven't actually tried it yet but i was thinking about using scouring pads for modelling allotments or lawns and flat areas of grass, like these, the missus bought them for me bless her!

They'll probably need painting or something to dull them down a bit but could be quite effective i think! :? .

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”