Finnington

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dagenham

Re: Crimple Beck Station

Postby dagenham » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:47 pm

hi ya mate
merry xmas to you and your family
like you layout that you are building plenty of scope for sceniey so what era and area are you baseing your layout on??
and what have you got planned next for your layout???
peter

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:46 am

Hi Peter,

Because I'm a beginner really when it comes to model railways (I used to have a 6' x 4' which never got finished) I decided that I wanted to do and run whatever I wanted, I felt that I would rather model what I can do well, and don't worry whether it would happen in real life! So I have no era or area, but I like modern trains so it will be more modern than steam, (although my dad likes steam so a few have to go on there) That's why you have mallards and pendolinos all going at once. :)

What have I got planned next? Well I am going to light up and finish the section underneath the raised area so I insert the raised section and mod-roc around it. Currently it has been half ballasted and light will go in very soon! (Not shown in the picture)

After that all the mod-rocking and cliff making (and other dirty jobs like painting) will be done. I am hesitant to start the front of the layout near the station as that is used for storage at the moment. :?

hulldude15

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi all,

Still too cold down in the shed, so another small indoor treat for you all!

To start off, I have painted/weathered some low relief warehouses. They're made of plaster (bought unpainted), so I used the same method as with my rocks, with watercolours. I thought they look quite good until I saw what they should/could look like, but I am still quite pleased: (BTW the pictures don't do them justice really :()

Retailers pic:
My pics:

Also the raised town scene is progressing. The first photo shows the area without buildings. You can still see black lines through the grey paint, I have given it loads of coats but they're still there. Far less visible in real life, almost invisible. The rest I was messing around with the photography a bit. They will be a road, graveyard for the church and more general greenery. Does anyone know if anyone sells OO flowers beds?

That's all, feel free to comment with advice or criticism!

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

I think either Noch or faller or Gaugemaster would do Flower Beds,

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Hulldude15

Finnington

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Wow, you are lucky people! This is your fourth update this month! :D Here goes:

A while back I said this:
Hulldude15 wrote:Mod-rocking has started on this big tunnel:

Will post some pics soon.

Also have a rethink about the name of the layout, we live near Crimple Beck so that is where I got my original inspiration from. ANY IDEAS?

Well, pics have been posted! And the name has been rethinked! Welcome to Finnington... This will be the name of the main 3 platform station at the front of the layout. Once again completely fictional. Also at the back of the layout, the small underground station and village has been renamed to: (wait for it :)) 'Crimply Crumple' :shock: . I hold my sister fully responsible for this! Even though I seem to like it myself.

Enough with the renaming I hear you cry! So lets get on to what I have recently done:

The larger tunnel has been modrocked and painted, just waiting for the freezing conditions to pass before I start the scenery. You don't need eyes to see that I have added supports to add to the aesthetics of the tunnel, they weren't actually needed to support the tunnel itself, I added them to make it more interesting and so you can see the trains coming through but of course totally un-prototypical. Personally I like it but I want to hear your thoughts on it (good or bad!).
I've had some focusing issues in some of the photos, I apologize for the blurriness
And a peek inside the tunnel:

Also I have almost completed the veggie patch for the signal box. Just realized why on earth would a signal box have a veggie patch? But who cares!?! All I'm waiting for now is some veggies (will order some soon!)

To finish off here are some pics showing of the new veggie patch and tunnels with the two pendolino coaches in:
I have to say I'm in love with this photo:

That's it for this time, hope you enjoyed Finnington!

hulldude15

Hulldude15

Re: Finnington

Postby Hulldude15 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:10 pm

More advancements on the town scene, with the road and pavement made and stuck down, awaiting a spray of matte varnish. Pub and house with garage backs windows have greaseproof paper and tissue paper stuck (where needed) in so you can't see inside but the new lights installed inside still shine out. Pics aren't of great quality, especially in the dark.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 pm

hi ya
a very big happy new year to you and your family
i have jut seen your layout for the first time and i must say i am very impressed with your progress
a couple of things i want to ask and they are
wat size is your shed and the layout
and what is your layout based on era wise and area wise
what kind of rolling stock are you planning to run
last were did you get the new style tunnel mouth from???
peter

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:41 pm

dagenham wrote:i have jut seen your layout for the first time and i must say i am very impressed with your progress

You have seen it before, but I have changed the name! :D So I have already answered some of your questions. ;)

dagenham wrote:dagenham on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:47 pm

Regarding the size, it is roughly 12ft by 71/2ft

The tunnel mouth is made by Noch, I bought it from Gaugemaster. But be warned, it doesn't really look like the picture so I was disappointed when I bought it and you only get one so it is quite expensive. Do you like it? I am unsure. :?

Trains wise, I am not buying any more till I am near completion, as I have been told that I will probably break it, and I want to know that it won't be money wasted if I don't complete the layout. Might buy a few more carriages though :).

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Small update, I am scratch-building my modern station building due to there being nothing available cheaply out there. It's just a start and none of the sections are glued together so it is all balanced very precariously!

You might notice the improved quality of these photos, that is because I now have my own camera! It shoots HD videos and is 14-mega-pixels. So be prepared for some hardcore high definition train spotting, which is soon to come. :D

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Dropped two planks of wood and a DAB radio on the large hill, so got bit annoyed and continued with general bits and bobs in the house. Luckily the damaged areas haven't had scenics applied so another layer of mod rock and a splash of paint should fix the damage.

Made some lamposts using things I have found lying around, except the bulbs which are those skalelighting ones. Didn't want to buy any as they are ridiculously expensive and they will be used to light up the secondary station which will be hidden. Here goes:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

More work on the raised section, had a reshuffle of the buildings and am only using card ones for this section. Just needs some trees and a few more details plus the graveyard.

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm

hi ya mate
if those buildings being built are suppose to be toilets i would like to say it looks like something from jigsaw in the saw films would make as a model
but keep up the good work loving the village scene
peter

markh

Postby markh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:46 pm

looks good
almost put mine to shame thats when i get it cleaned up its full of road veichals
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Long time since an update, will post one soon! :)

Here's a little taster! :D

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Woah, just looked back at my thread and realised I haven't put any recent photos up! Well quite a lot had been done, haven't posted all of what's new yet but will do in time...

Ok the village scene had been modrocked in, and a new cliff face put in just now, for anyone interested I used a woodlands scenics mould and their lightweight hydrocal making four of these and glueing them to a piece of card then filling the groves between them with more hydrocal and painting and dusting a little green scatter on, I think it looks awesome, but I worry whether it blends in to the scenery or stands out a little too much? You should be able to see the village scene above but I will take some more detailed pics later.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”