Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Video Link on Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - 00 Gauge South Wales

Postby Si_Donal » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Hello Eastern,

Thanks for the comment. I had spent along time experimenting with Ted Fur. The paint is very cheap artists acrylic. It comes in dark (brunswick!) green or light (kermit the frog green). I mix 1/3 dark with 2/3 light to acheive a more olive colour. The paint is very diluted and that is the trick to not getting it matted. I dab it on to acheive a variation in colours and I always paint it in situ e.g. when it was glued down. This allows me to leave the margins a browner colour than the main bulk of the grass.

The "dabs" of paint are about an inch apart and quite random. I use my fingers to massage the fur. This spreads the colour quite evenly. The other trick to avoid matting are combing the "grass/fur" while it is still wet. I use a normal gents comb. The other thing I do is, when the paint is dry usually 8-12 hours, get a Suede (wire) brush and brush the fur. This removes the "loose" starnds of fur ( which might find themselves in the mechanisms of locos) and it removes any odd clumps. As a detailing point, I actually use some undiluted dark green paint to deliberately clump some bits of grass, twisting them up into a kind of stalk! This makes a really good nettle or tall weed. Another tip is for that moorland look. I apply a some heat to random patches of teh grass once laid and coloured. This created a clump and if the heat is left for too long, some brown scorch marks appear which are very good for an autumn moor. I took this tip from Pete Waterman's book.

Using Fur does take some getting used too, but it stretches well over contours, takes acrylic paint very well, is easily shaved to achieve different lengths and is amazingly cheap. It is best used for long grass such as embankments and moorland. It is no good for lawns for which I use flocks in the usual manner. The disadvantages are, unless done right, it looks like fur! If shaved too short the material base to the fur shows through, all edges of the fur also have to be disguised. For that I use scenic scatter materiels.

Pete Waterman uses it on his 7mm/1 foot layout and it is commonly used in the USA for that prairie look. I hope that helps.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks Si - appreciate the info. I 'll have to accompany the wife to the sewing and fabric shop to source some out and see how it works. I think waht really works on a layout is having a variety of texture and colours when it comes to grass and foliage rather than the generic grass mat!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Well I did a fair bit of work this weekend on the layout because the dearly beloved was away again. I made some progress on the topography behind Gwynraven Station. This hill will disguise the end of the colliery exchange sidings with Gwynraven Station in front of it. The colliery sidings are mostly in the open but the point, headshunt (a whole 56xx long!) and about 6 inches of the loop are hidden by the girder bridge. The top is removable to allow access to the sidings which will be lifted out by lifting the buildings. I am hoping to give the impression that the colliery is on the side of the valley and that the colliery line goes somewhere (in my mind to another colliery in the area).
The station at Gwynraven ( the terminus) is a Dapol Kit which fits the site well. It will be paired with a GWR pagoda lock up. The station is perched above the running line below which looks unrealistsic to my eye but it forced upon me by the small sixe of the layout. I have crammed such alot on a 5 foot 6 inches by 7foot 6 inch board. Three stations, two junctions, a colliery and a three road fiddle yard.
I really like this view of the terminus and so I'll detail the buildings better for the future.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:50 pm

This is what I mean about crammed in, above the retaining wall to the left is Gwynraven station. The signals and signal box are only temporay at the moment but the signals do work! I like looking at pictures of my own layout, not through narcisism but it makes you look at everything more critically.
I mean, I really need to line that tunnel!
Si

buz

Postby buz » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Si
Coming along nicely
The photo and check works very well particularly for the dreaded white spot in scenery
or just the bit you missed.
For the Dapol kit terminus step one buy SWMBO a nice box of chocolates in a hard clear plastic box
then steal box for making glazing its better than what comes in the Kit.
If you intend lighting the building paint the inside black so the light has no choice about coming through the windows and not the walls.
If lighting also leave the glazing off a window or door that will be out of sight.
Suitable tiny signs posters and GWR or BR WR signage will help a lot as well
Oh! and if you have the patience and a book of British birds a couple of suitable birds on the roof as well Langley does those.
With the Dapol structures its the extra effort that makes the difference they have not changed from the Airfix railway kits from the sixties
I like them there don't seem to be many plastic kits for UK buildings around any more well not over here at any rate.
Properly built with a little bit of extra work they can look real good
I don't know hunting Innocent Teddy's for their fur :) :wink: :lol:
seems to work well as long grass and weed's
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

This is where I go when the :x X Factor is on! SANCTUARY. OK some of you have better modelling rooms but all 8 x 6 foot is mine. I have carpet, electric, a heater, light, a radio and brew kit. What else does anyone need?

Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:44 pm

I did alot of work on the layout this weekend. I did the very last but of wiring and added the last of the teddy bear fur grass. It's still ginger but it'll be painted soon.

I took the opportunity to put the two halves of the layout together to play trains for a while - it's good for the soul. I also took a few pics, the best of which are attached.

Kits Hill Halt with Gwynraven Colliery looming behind. Note the difference between the raw fur grass and the painted part. I'll paint and blend the two this coming weekend.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm

I love this view, it turned out exactly as I planned which makes a huge change for my modelling!
Si

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Good to see an overview of the layout in that first picture - seeing how it all fits together in your little den :)

I love this view, it turned out exactly as I planned which makes a huge change for my modelling!
Well now you've done it once you'll be able to do it again :)
Nice work - very atmospheric.

Have you thought of painting the walls the first foot or so above your layout sky blue? I think it would make a huge difference.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 am

excellent work, all you need is a 42xx and some felix poles now :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Hi Pedantic Mongrel,

Yeah a 42xx. I reckon with Hornby's new loco driven 28xx one might be available RTR in a year or so. I have thought seriously about backdating the layout to GWR period, 56xx, 42xx, panniers, praiaires but all those lovely absorbed south wales types too!

With my tight curces, I am not sure a 2-8-0 will make it round without derailing, mind you the Bachmann 56xx go round a 12 inch curve.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:58 pm

hey SouthernBoy,

The backscene is on it's way. The boards have been cut to shape and the fixing screws fitted to the frame. It's a 2 foot high one because of the height of the contours - much larger than commercially available ones. The sky will be pale grey reflecting the autumn feel and I'll attempt dark clouds. I'll try to paint it but my fall-back plan is PECO backscenes, slightly modified.

I plan to be finished by Easter. (yeah really!) :lol:
Si

buz

Postby buz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 am

Hi Si
A model railway is never finished it can be completed but never finished.
there is always something you can do to it.
Looks like extending the railway could have real estate problems :wink:
The mine should be prominent its a signature piece that identifies the location of the railway
The way you have got it to tower over the layout and the trains is absolutely brilliant
you cannot miss it.
And with the GWR buildings it screams Wales I wish I was that good.
Any plans to get a flying banana rail car if you don't already have one??
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:24 am

As dearly beloved has gone away for a few days again the Engineers can take possession of the kitchen and get some work done on the layout. I spent the day re-surfacing the branch platform because it warped in the damp of the shed over winter. I have also done some more ballasting and started on the Chapel at Gwynraven. Only one more building to finish now and that is a row of terraced houses up the hill. Her's the progress on that area:

The backscene has also been started. It's a pale grey and I have attepted clouds to give a little variety. My artwork is pretty pants so my attempts at the many hills that i need have been removed. I tried all the painting and artwork tutorials on youtube but they just didn't look right. I have ordered some Peco ones which I'll crop slightly to give a more south welsh appearance. Hopefully they'll arrive this week. I hope that apart from the construction and installation of signals the layout will be complete by the end of the month.

Si

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:32 pm

I like the way everything is at angles to everything else. Definitely a hilly area :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”