Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Video Link on Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - snow causes more modelling!

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 am

hi southernboy,

Yes it is narrow gauge but it is only scenic, The coal tubs that are lifted from undergrounds were alsmost always moved by gravity or pushed along by hydraulic rams. The ponies were mostly for undergound levels although they too were getting rare by the sixties.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - 00 Gauge South Wales

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:52 pm

Well I have been away for a while but now I am back and after clearing the cobwebs out of the hidden sidings (quite literally) Cwm Lanod is up and running again. Despite not having been touched for three months, one rail seems to have insulated itself so I soldered another dropper to the busbar.

Today, I have ordered a new Bachmann 56xx, they are amazing locos. I have also ordered the last four 7 plank coal wagons for the coal train. There's also a DCC Chip coming for the Hornby Class 121 railcar. The one I had ordered had a "back EMF" function which didn't agree with the Hornby motor and apparently they don't like Lima and Hornby pancake motors either. Fingers crosses that works.

Tonight I fitted a DCC Chip to the Class 87xx. A simple plug in job! It's a bit juddery over the dead-frog points but as these were all recovered from the previous failed layouts I cannot complain too much. I marked the point on the controller that is required to give enough speed for the momentum of the loco to clear the point.

This weekend, I'll take soem video of the layout and get on with the next working signal! Updates soon! Happy modelling everyone and it's good to be back.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 pm

Weird, for some reason your layout popped into my head a couple of days ago and here you are!
Glad to hear there's an update in the offing :)

devondynosoar118

Postby devondynosoar118 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Very nice- autumn foliage is much more interesting. Like the ted fur grass mat! I would consider putting in some yellow/brown colours for the dead grass you always get at that time of year. Love the buildings and the level changes, platform and stations also looking really good. A bit of a "Taffly Mills" feel (in a very good way!) with plenty of character. Waiting for the update now.

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Thought I'd upload a couple of pics of my last working session.

Massive progress on the colliery. The colliery will handle 8 wagon trains. Not huge but enough for this branch line.

Landscaping and placing of trees (scots pines in GWR fashion) at Kits Hill Halt. Note the space where the bridge was before the dog ate it and the colliery looming over this valley side site.

This is the as yet unnamed junction for the Kits Hill Halt line and the hidden sidings. The signal Box is temporary. The junction will have a smaller one. The signals work using rods under the baseboard and a simple pivot. The green 56xx on the upper line is on the site of the headshunt of the high level station at Gwynraven.

I have a free weekend coming up so I'll get a fair bit of progress in!
Si

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 am

Hello Si,
We can't allow you to get away with Miner's working shifts anymore, mate. :shock: :lol: Those 2 hours Travel, 2 hours work, 1 hour lunch, 1 hour work and a further 2 hours Travel have got to stop. You OWE US 3 months of excellent modelling :roll: . So, Si, it has to be a minimum of 12 hours ON and 6 OFF until further notice - IS THIS UNDERSTOOD?
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

daryl43068

Postby daryl43068 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:27 am

Very cleaver trackplan watching with interest.

Cheers

Daryl

buz

Postby buz » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Hi
Listen very carefully and you can just about here the colliery choir
over the din of the workings.
Captures the atmosphere beautifully.
so where's Evans the song and Jones the steam
Hope mine turns out as good as this one.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:10 am

Hi all, I am beavering away on the layout (while my wife is away). I'll be able to offer an update at the end of next week. Major tracklaying and wiring going on at the colliery sidings. The end is in sight now, about five buildings, some scenery and it'll be ready to run trains. I might recolour the areas that I have already grassed because on a recent trip to South Wales, it was yellower than I depicted it.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 am

Time for a progress update. Well I re-created the bridge previously eaten by the dog! It has been installed and is now out of harms way.

Themain road has been laid. I made it from sandpaper and despite a thread on these pages indicating that it's not a good look, I think it looks great. It has been painted since the picture was taken and pavements have been completed too. I am looking for details of 1950s road markings for an A road in town if anyone knows a good reference. My dad thisnk there was nothing on the roads except in bigger cities.

The big acheivement has been laying the track and wiring up the colliery site. It was a hellish job. The operating rods for the points that I usually sling below the baseboard have to be laid only in channels in the cork trackbed. It was also quite challenging to hide the wiring because there is no space below the board. There is only 5mm headroom above the hidden sidings under the colliery site. You can see the card covers for the cork channels (and my usual mess) in this pic.

I'll update when I finish this section or the domestic chief of staff returns and demands access to the dining room again.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 pm

OK, the "dearly beloved" has returned and so my occupation of the dining room comes to a close tomorrow morning. :cry: I suppose I'd better report on progress to date.

As per my previous report, progress has been slower than expected because of the difficulty of the task. I am very pleased with the results though. I have some tweaking of the scenery to do, detailing of buildings, foliage etc but these can be done on my lap when she is watching the X-Factor or some other time wasting nonsense!

PIC 1 - Some greenery has arrived at the colliery, as has untidy and almost black ballast. The track laying here is deliberately untidy. The area needs some clutter and a fence seperating the NCB property from the BR Branch line in front of it. There will be a small Signal Box or Ground Frame here to control the entry to and from the colliery.

PIC 2 - Kits Hill Halt has it's greenery and Scots Pines ( yes they need painting and flock too!) - all very GWR! I am really pleased with this view. The bridge is the entrance to the fiddle yard. That yard holds a 2 coach train plus tank loco or the pick up goods.

PIC 3 - A Metcalfe Cottage on it's base. This cottage, and the street it faces is a view-breaker for the exit from the high level to low level.You can just see a train behind the right side of the building.

Cheerio.
Si

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:39 pm

That's all looking good - each picture captures an essence of it's own there - time well invested if you ask me.
My favourite image the last one: I think the winding gear in the background lends a very 'local' flavour' :)

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Yes, although it wasn't actually deliberate, the colliery headgear is very "omnipresent" at this end of the layout". It's a feature that I now like. Before the other buildings were installed the colliery looked huge but now they look rather normal.
Si

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Si_Donal wrote:Themain road has been laid. I made it from sandpaper and despite a thread on these pages indicating that it's not a good look, I think it looks great. It has been painted since the picture was taken and pavements have been completed too. I am looking for details of 1950s road markings for an A road in town if anyone knows a good reference. My dad thisnk there was nothing on the roads except in bigger cities.

I'd agree with your Dad about road markings, there were far fewer until the early sixties. If you were lucky you got the odd dashed white line and some cat's eyes on A and Trunk roads, other than that it was a single white (stop) line at halt signs. That last bit is important! up 'till 1963/4 the older vertical rectangle signs were used the "Halt" sign was T shaped, "Stop" only came in with the new signs and was originally an inverted triangle. Sometime later we switched to the American octagonal sign (along with almost every other country in the world.) Pedestrian crossings were whitewashed rectangular patches with the road surface in between not the white and black rubber patches used now. They did have the square metal studs to mark their edges. The tops of the beacons were orange but unlit and the poles were plain, except in the bigger towns where flashing beacons on striped poles were being introduced. Took my test on the old signs, then an extended test for Post Office Telephone vehicles on the new ones, fortunately the A34 through Birmingham was the test route for the new signs as well as my route from home to the engineering training centre, so I knew them better than the examiner. (He had to look one up when I described it.)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Have to echo the comments about the last picture with the Colliery headgear - adds so much more atmosphere. I also like the progression of the 2nd picture with the addition of the foliage. The 'Ted' fur certainly adds texture. Just a couple of Qs - How was it to work with and how did you stop it from matting together when you painted it?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”