Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Video Link on Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Updated Pics! Yay!

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:40 pm

No modelling today :( but I have had a chance to update a few of the pics in my thread for less fuzzy ones, thanks to the tips on photography on this very site!

I am a huge fan of weathering and I have been a follower of how the military modellers do it. Here is my dirtiest piece of stock. A Dapol J94 which has been DCC fitted (I did it myself and I was chuffed!) and it has been repainted and weathered by me too.

Waethering can be really tricky but if you use watercolours and poster paint at least you can wash it off and start again - I have done that lots of times!
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 pm

The "dealy beloved" is back at work so it's just me and the kids and they'd rather just play computer games all day. It's raining heavily so thankfully I cannot rake those leaves or hang out washing - shame :wink:. So you see I had to do some modelling today!! :lol: Progress today was good. I added some grenery and three puddles to the Goods Yard, am I am pleased with the results. A pic will follow in a later update.

I also did some more work on those damned Ratio Signal Kits. I have got them to work but not how the instructions intended. You have to be a watchmaker or micro-surgeon to build these kits as intended but they do look brilliant! If I can get them activated remotely by my manual method, I'll post a thread on it. So then the frustration started. Although I have left spaces for my manually operated signals in the places I needed them, I forgot in one area which meant I had to cut a groove through the cork tile that I used as a base for the track as well as under two well pinned tracks, one of which is a point. I can hear my Dads advice ringing in my ears like Obi-wan to Luke Skywalker "Measure twice - cut once young Jedi". Anyway I used an old umberella spoke as a micro chisel and tunnelled my way through! So here's the result of an hour's work and some language that may offend.....

The last job I undertook today (as a little relief from those signals) was to turn the fiddle yard's only dead end siding into a station. It'll make more sense when I have the trackplan scanned and loaded here but there are three loops in the hidden sidings plus one closest to the operator. That last siding is a dead end so I can reverse trains but, rather than just have it hidden, I have added scenery to it. That has two advantages, one, the siding is easier for me to get my hands too and secondly it adds another modellable scene to my very small layout. It is a simple GWR Halt. The "pagoda" is from Wills and the platform is built from balsa (cheap), cereal packets (free)and coffee stirrers (stolen). It is called Kit Hill Halt after my wife Kit - that'll get me some brownie points!

The other half of the station is on the other board with a bridge to cover the hidden section which will accommotate a 2 coach train and a loco. The area where the "fur" is the hidden loops and the colliery will go above and behind the halt.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:14 pm

And finally..... I have drawn the Trackplan. I hope it makes sense and I'm sorry that it isn't one of those whizzy computer generated ones, I prefer the Mk1 pencil and graph paper - am I the only luddite? The upper level is not yet started although the gradient to get the trains from the lower level has been. The upper level is shown as a seperate cut away.

It looks very busy but that's why I like South Wales as a prototype, short trains, horrendous gradients and lots of tunnels (as scenic breaks). All of which are useful for a space starved modeller.
Si

Michael Thornberry

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Trackplan finally loaded!

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 pm

Merry Christmas Si,
Contary to "popular working-practice in the Civil Service" your Lay-out appears to have been:-
1/ Well thought-through
2/ Well drawn and
3/ Well resourced, unlike every other Tax-payer funded Labour Government "mistake" :lol: This Plan/Lay-out of yours shows great promise so I will keep a watching-eye on your progress. My apologies for my Civil Service cynicism,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:12 pm

Michael,

Many thanks for your kind comments. As a long serving member of the British Army, I can confirm that my layout:

1. does not look anything like the original plan.
2. is woefully underfunded.
3. is trying to do too much with too little.
4. is subject to distractions.
5. cost much more than the Chancellor (wife) thinks it does or should!

yours, with public a servant's cynicism and Happy New Year!
Si

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:25 pm

I like that layout, appears to have lots of operational possibilities! Looks a nice job on the loco as well - hope I can do as well if ever get round to building mine. Only question in my mind would be about the gradients - have you tested your locos with the length of train you would like to run, before you get round to building the upper level/

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your kind words. I did test out the gradient. I mock up everything up before I build it. This is a hard learnt lesson from my past railway modelling experiences/disasters*. It rises 65mm (the very minimum I could get away with) in 1500 mm. 3 inches rise over 5 feet in old money. It is very severe indeed :shock: . If my lousy 25 year old CSE Maths is correct, then that is around 1 in 21. The unrealistic gradient is why I hid it in the tunnel and under the miners cottages.

The Bachmann 56xx and Pannier take 8 wagons and a brake up there at a steady scale 15/20 mph. They are heavy little locos and I have added some more weight with lead, whitemetal crew etc. I only use wagons with metal wheels which helps reduce friction. This is the maximum train length that the sidings will accommodate anyway. That gradient has a 1st Radius Curve in under the hill also which hasn't proved to be a problem yet.

The Hornby railcar, although it's a good runner on the flat, slips horrendously on the gradient. Weight has been added and that has improved things a little. The railcar will not run with tail traffic so I'll carry on with extra weight experiments until it works.

The Bachmann 2251and Hornby Large Prarie are banned from the branch anyway!

*delete as applicable :lol:
Last edited by Si_Donal on Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:51 pm

Another day being creative and losing my mind! :? . I spent alot of time adjusting those signals again but by jingo I think I've cracked it. The possibility of "simple" remotely operated and yet removable signals is close at hand. Muah! Muah!! Muah-ha-ha-ha! If it works before the sanity is lost I'll post a thread on it. Half of the Ratio Kits are still on the sprue though! Anyone familiar with the old toy Crescent Signals from the 1950's will understand my plan. This is the result so far.....
They are in fact lower quadrant signals but they look like upper quadrants. This is deliberate because the weights you can see under the base are pulling down and therefore pulling the arms up. They are connected by a single wire, not by the complex links that Ratio provide. It's a case of practicality over looks. Later I hope to show you how the weights will be lifted remotely and the arms will fall from horizontal to the down position. Well here's hoping. This picture represents a good six hours of work so far!

As I've mentioned before, I usually have a few jobs on the go, today completed the detailing on my re-painted Pannier tank! I also weathered my autocoach and painted the interior. I think it's looking good and I feel much more confident with weathering now, hey it's only taken me 10 years! :shock: I have to build up the confidence before I weather the pannier. Perhaps a scotch will help?
Si

Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - last update for a while!

Postby Si_Donal » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Well it's finally here, the last day of leave. :( Tomorrow I have to pack away the layout and return it to the cold of the shed, so no major work will take place for a while. The "dearly beloved" has been very tolerant of having both halves of the layout in the house today, it's a good job that were a skinny bunch! I have been grafting on the layout for two weeks and I have completed almost all the tasks I wanted too. The few remaining tasks can be done on the sofa becuase they are detailing of buildings.

Anyway, I have been undertaking some scenic work on the lower circuit. It's a messy old business and some kitchen utensils were "borrowed" for a while - thanks hunny! The Teddy Bear Fur grass experiment was a success and my eye now sees fake grass not fake fur. You'll all be better judges than I as to it's success. It was a good base for the other greenery. Because I am a cheapskate, I used a brown floor scrubber from our cleaners cupboard at work (she knows) and some green pan scourers (15p!). Using Woodlands Scenics scatter in Mid Green, Light Green and Autumn Yellows I made Ivy, Brambles and Heather. I am not sure I haven't done a little too much. I tried to keep the yellows light, my first experiments with yellow foliage looked out of this world! I will therefore stick to greens and browns for the ground work and keep the oranges, yellows and reds for the tree foliage.

I also finished adding pipes to the bufferbeam of the railcar using small nails and staples. I think it looks good, was free and they are indestructable. I also added the magnets for the train detector, you can just see one between the wheels on the pic above. All my locos have them and they operate reed switches to complete a simple circuit to show me when the train has reached the ends of the hidden sidings. I posted a thread on this system tonight in case it is of use to anyone.
Si

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello Si,
Happy New Year. No matter how much you try and disguise this "massive" over-spend, even when sanctioned by SWMBO, I know what a "waste of Public Funds" looks like :lol: Excellent modelling, Si, very impressive. Take Care, mate,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:20 pm

If anyone is following my thread with a view to adding a colliery to their layout, see this link to the almost legendary Chris Nevard's site. Brilliant as are all his layouts.

http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/c1482728.html
Si

Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - snow causes more modelling!

Postby Si_Donal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Apart from the cold, lack of a car, shortages of milk and bread, I am loving the snow...... It means that I have had to take a fews days of extra leave to look after the boys. :wink: It also means lots of extra unexpected modelling time so I have been popping into the shed and doing little jobs on the layout. Painting and glueing has to be done indoors because the shed is just too cold, my poster paints froze! The biggest acheivement was to finally get the Signal Box completed.

It was a Hornby Dunster signal box bought cheaply from ebay. Dismantled and then cut and shut into a larger signal box more befitting of the junction. The back of the box is just plain plasticard now. The original roof was a very low pitch and so I made a new one, that took ages. Wills sheets look brilliant but they are not my favourite to cut. I made a lever frame out of pins and signal controls made from bits of scrap sprue (those detailing kits are just sooo expensive). I have used LEDs to make lamps outside the doors with the plastic from the packing around paracetamol pills as lampshades. There is an interior light and I am just waiting for a signalman. Glad that's over, I think I may buy a Hornby or Bachmann one for the other signal box!

Now I am finishing off the rest of the coaching stock.
Si

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 pm

I like your trackplan, excellent use of the space and the scenery will look stunning when finished. The combination of kit- and scratchbuilt/modified buildings is very convincing. I am looking forward to see more pictures of your layout.
Thomas
SOUTHERN FOR SUNSHINE

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:50 pm

You know how it goes, your wife announces that she's away on Saturday night! You smile a little to yourself, knowing that you can use the kitchen to work on your layout without any complaints. :) You think you have everything you need to make some progress. She goes, you get the layout from the shed and.......the fishplates you bought are for N not 00, the PVA went off during the freezing weather! :evil: Such is life!

Anyway, I have started on the upper level of the layout. The cork tiles are being cut and the groove for the operating rod are cut in before the cork tile is glued down. This part of the layout is a scant nine inches wide and will have four tracks and a platform too.

Kit's Hill Halt is on the lower level, 70mm below the colliery. The bridge is in fact the entrance to a hidden siding for the autotrain and DMU. The exchange sidings will be partially hidden by buildings, hopefully giving the illusion that they are larger. The colliery can accommodate 8 wagons at a time. The house on the main road is a view blocker that hides a really ugly entrance to the line that takes trains to the lower level.
Si

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Looks like that's going to be another interesting 'character' area on your layout Si. Love the little speech bubbles :) The colliery area on the left caught my eye - do I see a narrow gauge line there? And is it for horse-drawn wagons or does it operate with an engine?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”