Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Video Link on Page 5

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Si_Donal

Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery - Video Link on Page 5

Postby Si_Donal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi,

I've been working away on my first layout for 10 years or so for a whole year now after two years of planning and sketching. I had tried to have it ready for this forthcoming Christmas (2009) but have missed that deadline and so I am working towards Easter now. I tend to do work on the layout in bursts to fit in with my leave from work.

The layout is 5 1/2 feet by 7 1/2 feet on two U shaped boards. This provides a double oval, a goods yard, a branch line with a colliery and two small halts. It's fictional location is the South Wales Valleys where the Brecon & Merthyr Line meets the Rhymney. Set in the late 50's and early 60's the layout makes the most of the superb diecast vehicles on offer today. I may backdate the layout to GWR Days in the future. The layout is DCC controlled thanks to a Bachmann Starter Set. Stock includes:

56xx in BR Lined Green - Bachmann detailed and weathered.
87xx in BR plain Black - Bachmann detailed and weathered.
2251 in Lined Green - Bachmann detailed and weathered.
J94 in NCB Blue - A Dapol Loco, repainted and detailed. Very heavily weathered.
Class 121 Railcar - Hornby and clean.

I also have a 4575 2-6-2T in parts for the Autotrain Working and I want a 94xx by Lima with a Bachmann Chassis and another 56xx (plain black) to complete my stock.

The layout is 50% complete. My "to do" list gets longer every day but basically ballasting, greenery and the branch need to be completed. There's some great modelling going on and this site shows it. I hope that I can be of help to anyone and I aim to share my experiences occasionallyin order to show that even a ten-thumbed lunatic like me can make a reasonable layout.
Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Re: CWM LANOD AND GWYNRAVEN COLLIERY

Postby Si_Donal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:58 pm

The Gwynraven Colliery - this is a module that fits onto the layout's main board.

If the buildings look "cut off" that's because the colliery is modelled in 3/4 relief. The headgear is a Bachmann Scenecraft Item with extended front legs (the angled ones), it sits on top of a scratchbuilt building with a curved tin roof. The engine house is also scratchbuilt. It houses an electric motor to run the pit wheels (sheaves). There is a 9mm narrow gauge railway at the pit and I built some tiny coal tubs for it too. I don't find scratchbuilding easy but I do invest alot of thinking and planning time before I cut any card or plastic sheet. I have now completed a concrete water tank using a kitchen funnel and a set of coal drops/washery too. I am very pleased with this.
Last edited by Si_Donal on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

Si_Donal

Re: CWM LANOD AND GWYNRAVEN COLLIERY

Postby Si_Donal » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:57 pm

This is the Main Station of Cwm Lanod. It is a junction station although it is not obvious when you look at it. When I load the trackplan, it'll be obvious. Forgive the curious sky effect :D ! That station building needs to be well seated onto the platform.....another job for the list!

Looking the other way. The square hole in the bridge parapet is for the footbridge to he island platform and the bridge disguises the entrance to the hidden sidings. The slope on the bridge is typical of those I have researched for the area.

Si

Si_Donal

Re: Cwm Lanod & Gwynraven Colliery

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:08 am

Had a busy weekend, finished the Metcalfe School for the town section and bedded it in, built some Woodland Scenics trees which look awesome in their autumn foliage too.

Most of my modelling time has been taken up with experiments with rough grass. The basis is a ginger kind of fur that I had to hand, shaved with a 3mm attachment on a barbers shaver, painted with green acrylic paint and combed when dry. I have placed it on the layout to see if it looks right. Bearing in mind my layout is set in the South Wales Valley, on bleak moorland, in the autumn, could any viewers please indicate whether they feel the effect is right? I will add brambles, gorse and hazel trees when it is glued down. If not, I'll try dyed lint or a lighter colour fur.

Please be honest.
Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:04 pm

Thought I'd add an update of my week's work.

I have been ballasting. What a pain. This is the first time I have ever done it and I cannot recommend it as a relaxing part of the hobby! The method was simple it was just time consuming. I laid dry cork ballast onto the pre-painted track (Railmatch sleeper grime from a spray can). I wet it with a water sprayer then a 50/50 mix of PVA and water with a good dollop of washing up liquid. When it was dry (leave at least 24 hours) I spent an evening picking of the bits of ballast that had moved during the water spraying and an attack by the family cat. After that exhausting chore I used a water colour wash of very dilute black on the whole track. I did a double application on the sidings and a single one on the running lines. The ballast is now a nice brown.

I have also received a parcel from Hattons, with my Birthday present in it! Wagons.....lots of them too! They have been weathered this week using a wash of black poster paint (Early Learning Centre). The paint is then wiped off whilst wet. This leaves black in the nooks and crannies and also the gaps between the planks. This is the method advocated by Ian Futers in the Railway Modeller and I have to say it's pretty effective, well to my eyes anyway. I will also dry brush the chassis and lower bodies.

Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:21 pm

Hello Si,
Your Lay-out has progressed very nicely, irrespective of the house-hold chores :lol: . Keep-up the good work, mate, it's very peasant viewing,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:37 pm

I think the "fur" will look excellent after it's detailed with weeds/brambles and worked around the rock outcrops. I love the aesthetics of this layout with the curved(nicely surfaced) platform and the terraces above the retaining wall. It captures the region perfectly.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27 am

Hello Si,

I seem to have missed your thread until now ... I like :)
You've got some nicely observed work well executed there.

This is my favourite picture: Great angles/curves/variations in elevation and nicely toned colours too. I think your autumn colours are working well.

Mark

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks very much Gents. This layout has been a long time in the planning (2 years) and I too am very pleased with the look of this part. I am taking my time with everything and make mock ups before commiting to anything permanent. That curve around the curved platform is deliberately tight because the board is only five and a bit feet wide. Placing tight curves in a cutting with no obvious viewpoint from the viewers (in my case the operators) position helps to disguise the fact that they are so tight. The layout is basically an oval with a branch and the curves are even tighter in the fiddle yard so that those on view are a large as possible. I have one 12 inch radius curve in the hidden section that the Bachmann 56xx goes round with ease! :shock: Passenger stock doesn't use that line though - short wheelbase only.

That retaining wall is not just scenic, it is there to disguise the line to the upper level, where the collieryand branch station will go. The trains actually run inside the cottages on the right, that's why the wall is so tall. and the upper line crosses the lower one inside the bridge! I know it sounds daft so here's a picture........

Why? Well, I just didn't want to model a flyover bridge and have the whole branch line on view. This way trains heading for the colliery can leave the junction, pause in the hidden section (under the cottages) and then appear at the colliery. Like walking on/off stage between acts. Well at least it works in my mind, :lol:
Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:15 pm

Wow, had a great modelling day. Dearly Beloved was at work,I am on leave, kids playing in the snow or on the PC......peace. So did I clear snowfrom the path? Did I wrap the presents? Did I do the chores? Nah - I set the other board of my layout up in the warmth of the kitchen and had a quality modelling day. :D To be honest, indoors was the only option as the glue and paint probably wouldnot have dried otherwise, because the layout usually lives in the shed. :roll:

So what did I do? Well i did some landscaping. My usual method is to weave strips of old christmas cards (free) over balsa formers (cheap), glueing them down with evo stick. This is then covered with normal paper (which the MoD disposes of alot of and is therefore free) and painting it with olive paint (from the bargain aisle at B&Q!) I did a small bit in stages to show how it's done. It seems to be strong and it seems to work ok.

Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I also planted some trees. The trees themselves are Woodlands Scenics with their Autumn (Fall) leaves attached. I think they look great but on the advice of the Dearly Beloved, I am going to blend a few other colours into the mix e.g. Light Green with the yellow, Yellow with the Orange and Orange with the Red.

I spent alot of time positioning the trees and also taking photos to ensure the impression I created was like the one in my head (errr :wink: plan). During my armchair modelling days,I once read that tall trees can also be placed near to the front of the layout to force the viewer (me) to look around them at scenes on the layout. I have tried to do this although the full effect will not be seen until the backscene is on.

Judge for yourselves but it works for me - comments are always welcome, even adverse ones.
Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Final task of the day....I'd also finished the goods yard. Just need to buy and install a crane and it's all done. That Goods Shed is a Metcalfe one that has been covered in Slaters Dressed Stone and Brick plasicard. I took a few pics but most were too shakey to use. The yard can take three coal trucks on the coal/mineral road, four vans in the shed and two wagons on the crane road. The bufferstops are illuminated with LEDs. Quite an easy job once I had worked out which resistor to use. They look fine from the front and side but all the wiring shows at the rear. I guess it'll not be too obvious when the yard has grass/weeds etc. The hut at the end is for a trader that sells feed, coke and minerals,it needs a sign and maybe a van/truck at some point. The hut is a half a Wills Garage with a brick base.

Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:14 pm

Another day of modelling. I love being on leave :P ! I do like to have three or four jobs on the go at any one time so when the paint/glue is drying on one, I can work on another project. Today for example I have finished a Metcalfe Cottage and clad it in Slaters Plasticard Stone - it's looking fab, even if I do say so, it's been sitting in my shed unbuilt for four months just waiting for a wintry evening or two. I started the Bl%dy ballasting on the second base board. I can only do a metre at a time before I loose the plot! :x I have also started to lay some more fake fur grass around the river and the bridge. If there is any interest I'll do a tutorial on my ballasting and fake fur grass.

This is the bridge with teddy bear fur grass.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the Metcalfe Railway Workers Cottages as I have adapted them and clad them with stone. Only the roof to slate now.....

Last edited by Si_Donal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:25 pm

And as a reward for my efforts, I posed a picture of the goods yard with the Bevan (cats name!) Brothers Tube, Valve and Pipe factory in it's place. One of the factories is a Metcalfe kit which I made into a double storey one, the chimney was a broom handle(thank you sweetheart-oh is the broom missing :wink: ) and the other two are scratchbuilt, just to prove I don't only build kits and stick plasticard on them.

You gotta love those diecast vehicles! I hope to have another decent day's modelling tomorrow but as it's Christmas Eve I may have to be a family man again. I can't complain,the Dearly Beloved is very tolerant:lol:
Si

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Well the momentum of the last few days stopped today, just a metre of ballasting and messing about with two Ratio Signals. Now there's a challenge! Harder than keeping kids calm on Christmas Eve. Oh I did make two staithes out of coffee stirrers. I love free modelling!

Merry Christmas!
Si

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”