As yet un-named

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Son-1

As yet un-named

Postby Son-1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:04 pm

I have finally started an N layout, with instruction and help from a 10 y/o :roll: There is no plan, just it must have his factory he's bought on it. So after much fiddling and testing, we have an oval with 2 sidings. 1 siding will have a station, the other will serve the factory.
layout.JPG
layout.JPG (47.99 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

All the track is secondhand from ebay and needs cleaning, but my 60006 gets round, though it has some high resistance at a couple of places.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Re: As yet un-named

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi Son-1
Taking that first step is the most difficult, so well done.
Will the factory make doughnuts ? .......... the odd one may keep youngsters attention levels up !!
Set Track can be a bind as you can't always match things up like flexi allows - probably worth getting a length or two to join up the awkward bits !!!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:32 pm

All the straight bits are flexi cut to length with a mini drill like a dremal. We will probably put an astable multi-vibrator with white and blue leds in it so it looks like welding going on inside, or just red leds so it looks like a steel plant.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Son-1,

With 60006 a steel plant of some sort would be ideal. If you're that good with LED's perhaps you could knock me up a welding module flashing white/blue, the only commercial one I've seen was rather expensive although I forget how much.

Geoff T
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:16 pm

The most expensive part will probably be the leds at about £1.50 each. The rest is cheap, caps, resistors and a 555 ic, all probably coming to a couple of quid.

Once this layout is built, I can start on the big one. It will be based on shed 36C, Fodingham and will not be set to an era, so most LNER stuff can be run, plus the steel works still use the shed, so plenty of unusual stuff to scratch build.
Stephen T

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:31 am

Hi Stephen,

What a great idea for the welding effect, hope you don't mind but I might just use the same idea myself - I won't be having any factories but you made me think I could have some welding going on in one of the engine sheds :D

Good luck with the layout !

Martin
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

A little done over the holidays so far.
tail.jpg
tail.jpg (226.81 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
The ballast looks ok in places, the use of ash from the fire doesn't look quite as I wanted. But all the stock can get round, though the VGAs are short coupled so need to go over the points solo.
Stephen T

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Will the factory make doughnuts ? .......... the odd one may keep youngsters attention levels up !!

Doughnutsville.. there ya go.. named..lol :D
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:31 pm

well the ballast does look overdone in places but the whole point of ballast is to keep the track in place so that is ok.

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm

Bit more done. I need to replace one of the points as it is to loose and moves when anything goes over it, but as it is in the factory siding, I haven't ballasted it yet.

Quick question though. How do you stick inkjet printed sheets so the ink doesn't run? I have created some concrete slabs, printed and stuck down with PVA nice and flat. Now it has wrinkles and looks like the ink has run. I hope if will dry flat and look not to bad. :|
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:15 pm

hobby boy wrote:well the ballast does look overdone in places but the whole point of ballast is to keep the track in place so that is ok.

Andrew

It's industrial grade ballasting. :lol: The main point of this layout is to try different methods of doing things and to shunt heavy industry type rolling stock around the factory that will fill most of the inside.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Made a couple of lamps today while having a snow day. Image
There is a wire going up the aluminium tube which is used as a conductor, the leds are glass and give green on low voltage and red on high (3V) with amber at about 2 (ideal for sodium lamps). They are used for automotive instrumentation and probably aren't cheap.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Not done much actual railway related building. But I have built a mostly completed Metcalf factory (with some lights, but forgot to shield them, so the walls light up as well. :oops: ) and a 5v regulated supply on stripboard with 7805.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Not much done on this one......But I now have a 8' x 4' frame half boarded in the loft ( other half to be boarded next week when I've been paid). I even have a name for it 'Frodingthorpe', it's an amalgamation of Frodingham and Scunthorpe, with out being censored by robotic censors. I will start a new thread over the weekend with some photos and more details.
Stephen T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:02 pm

Hi Son-1

I was looking for a new thread - perhaps you can just re-name this one ?
Wish I had a loft that could be used !! If we have wet weather I'm brought to a halt quicker than leaves on the line.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”