Beech Hill

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dubdee1000

Re: Beech Hill

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 pm

So the town section will receive an extension allowing me to site this:

IMG_20171103_220438659-800x600.jpg

The ramp down will be to the rear and right side of it. At the front on the station will be a small forecourt. When I was thinking about this in bed last night, I had the thought "Faller Road"!!

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:26 pm

Well, got the chance to look at Faller stuff over the weekend and I see that it's all gone DCC now. To be honest, that's fine with me, the ability to control it through CV settings is fine. However it seems extremely expensive at around £100 per car. There also seems a lot more work involved than I may have first thought. I knew about the wire under the roadway and that was fine, but the more I looked into it so there was more and more switches and relays to control the vehicles. If it was a bigger layout with more vehicles then so be it, but the town area of Beech Hill is small and I just don't think it's worth it.

Anyway, back to the trains. Saturday was spent cutting out a section of 6mm plywood and adding it to the type section. The Bachmann station building was then planted on top. I'm fairly happy with the way it went. I want to keep the foreground of the station relatively clear so that it looks like buses and taxis could use it. In real terms it is impossibly tight, vehicles just could not turn round, but it seems passable in the scaled world.

The slope down also it's cut from ply and has a gentle slope.

The stone walls are gaugemaster. The tunnel portal is a cut and shut of the twin track wall to enable side by side tracks. I cut along the lines of stonework to make teeth to enable a stronger bond. Pva type glue sticks it all together. At the moment, the three walls you see are yet to be stuck to each other.

Interesting, the tunnel portal does no seem to be very high. I have the peco catenary to fit at some point (you can see one of the masts test fitted) and it's quite a bit higher that the top of the tunnel mouth. That's not too much of a problem because I'm limited in how high the pantograph can be by over head space in the fiddle yard and neither do I intend to run trains with the pantograph touching the wire - I fear that is an accident just waiting to happen.

The backscene has gone up now and it'll be more track ballasting in time. Then it'll be catenary and fitting the brick retaining wall in front of it. 20 sheets of Slater's English bond to accomplish this. It'll be blue bricks too, so quite a bit of painting and weathering to do.
Attachments
IMG_20171105_164938544-800x600.jpg
IMG_20171105_165003529-800x600.jpg
IMG_20171105_164920697-800x600.jpg

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Managed to reprogram my accessory decoder by shorting out the platform lights during a downgrade of their luminance, but enough of that.

In the corner of my layout is a colliery. Named Giants Hall, its where my paternal grandfather worked. However, my maternal grandfather also worked in a mine and because his mine survived a bit longer, i can just about remember it. Pieeaters in this forum will recognise Bickershaw, one of the last deep coal mines in the lancashire coal field. At the moment, i use the bachmann model, which is not bad, certainly far better than the hornby effort, but the pithead gear is rather generic.

This photo of bickershaw highlights the difference.

bickershaw.jpg

Its actually my uncles photo. The very top of the headgear is quite different, which a big slab of i-bar strung over the top. What the purpose of that was i don't know.

Looking at this, it can't be too hard to make a representation of it using plastruct can it? Even if not to scale, the headgear is not desperately large and it would be a fitting memorial to my family. So lets get scratch building........!

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:25 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:So the town section will receive an extension allowing me to site this:

IMG_20171103_220438659-800x600.jpg

The ramp down will be to the rear and right side of it. At the front on the station will be a small forecourt. When I was thinking about this in bed last night, I had the thought "Faller Road"!!

That is really nice 8)
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Plodded on over christmas tackling the retaining wall at the back. In the images above you'll see this as a strip of pine.

I looked at a few retaining walls from Bachmann and Hornby, most of the suitable ones now out of production. I looked at making my own using plasticard, but this lacked the embossing and the scale of it was daunting. The full length of the retaining is around 8 metres. It was the Wills kit that came to the rescue. At £14 it was going to be a convincing, but expensive and time consuming solution. It would take me a couple of hours to build the kit which came in at around 40cm long. After some head scratching, i hit upon the idea of molding it and running casts off. Ebay came to the rescue with a kit (£50) and off i went.

Having never done anything like this before, it was a bit of shot in the dark. I built the wills kit, spent ages sealing it, made a mold box and then poured the ?latex into it:

_DSC3697.jpg
_DSC3697.jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Unfortunately, getting the original kit out invariably meant breaking it. However, the casting that came from this was pretty good. With a spray of brown acrylic paint and it didn't look too shabby:

_DSC3720.jpg
_DSC3720.jpg (65.49 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Next was to weather it, adding some general grime and a bit of efflorescence. Paddy the tabby showed up at this point and got told off for scratching his claws on the tracks :

_DSC3707.jpg
_DSC3707.jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 491 times

He clearly looks a little ashamed by his actions, but being a cat, he got his own back by sulking in the next photos and having a 'huff'

_DSC3713.jpg
_DSC3713.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 491 times

However in the background, you'll see the retaining walls going up. And with a bit of work, we ended up with this:

_DSC3719.jpg
_DSC3719.jpg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 491 times

I think the ATW 158 is a little out of place - it was parked there whilst waiting for the trailer car to be DCC chipped. The other great thing about casting these walls was that i found that after 5 minutes from pouring, i could pull the mold from the molding box and bend it to whatever shape i wanted, so going around corners became easy and much easier that trying to heat up the cast and bend it. From pouring to removing the cast from the mold was around 30 minutes which meant i could really bang them out, with very little input from me other than to make sure i didn't get the casting resin on the kitchen worktop. The image following should hopefully show the retaining wall curving around 90 deg.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 pm

_DSC3722.jpg
_DSC3722.jpg (56.48 KiB) Viewed 489 times

A bit or work is needed to blend the join between the sections. The more observant will notice the casts are different - the section after the platform needed a new mold.

Anyway, still very much plonked in place and needing some 'joining' between the platform and the walls (and the platform lights and sections joining together properly), we have this, which i'm pretty pleased with:

_DSC3717-Edit.jpg
_DSC3717-Edit.jpg (59.49 KiB) Viewed 489 times

Some general weathering is needed, after which it'll be time to start planting the catenary masts.

manna

Postby manna » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:47 pm

G'Day Gents

Those moldings, have turned out very well, I am always surprised that one of the most common sights around the railway, retaining walls/arches are one of the most difficult to get hold of.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:58 pm

I made very similar master from linka, then replicated from a silicon mould, works a treat. Pic, still need to finish off the parapet!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Yesterday was spent fitting up Peco caternary to the far tracks. I studied the instructions very carefully and noted the mast spacings. Turns out that in reality, you end up shoving them where you think is best. Pointless sticking to 50.5cm if you're trying to go around a second radius curve. The masts are mostly down, but i need a few more for the back. More of that another time.

The remainder of yesterday was fitting tts to some of the diesel fleet and then sorting out my old APT. Sorry DJM, but for £1000, it was time to dust off my old one. I've got a 5 coach set which by the purchase of some spares off ebay, is now up to 7 cars. Long enough for me.

My coach lacked an interior however and whilst i could have maybe chopped up another, I thought i'd have a go with my christmas present, a 3d printer from aldi.

Using sketchup, i designed a coach interior.

Untitled-1.jpg

it should fit any coach. Its a little 'what-if' but has some basis to it - a small buffet bar, a place to eat with tables and then seating areas. As it is, its too big to print (20cm is my max), so i had to chop it in two. As its happens, not a bad thing because now its modular, i can easily add or remove components.

The first print was a disaster. You can see the spaghetti mess here.

IMG_20180121_205523691.jpg

I haven't determined why, but since i switched my slicing software, things improved and thats mk2 on the printer behind it. Since switching software (i now use simplify3d), the quality and speed of the prints has really come on. They now take a third of the time and more importantly, much better. This blurry image is one straight off the printer. Not the clearest image, but printed well:

IMG_20180121_202740364_HDR.jpg

It perhaps would have been easy to chop up an old coach, but the 3d printing is new to me. I'm intending on using what i learn to help make components for the motor 'car'. I have a heljan 33 motor that should be butch enough to move the unit, but the bogies are metal and i think have a good chance of shorting stuff out. I'll cast the bogie frames and reproduce them in resin and all being well, build the rest of the bogie and motor support (plus drive shafts) in 3d print.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm

dubdee1000 wrote:My coach lacked an interior however and whilst i could have maybe chopped up another, I thought i'd have a go with my christmas present, a 3d printer from aldi.

You actually got one, must have been bloomin quick of the mark. Do you fancy doing a bit of a review of your experiences with it, once you've made a few items. Those compartment dividers with the solid bit above the door look like they could give you some aggro with unsupported filament. I've only had one real disaster where my daVinci Mini tried to print about 10mm above the bed. Turned out to be the equivalent of a bit of digital swarf. I'd punched a hole through the floor and overshot a bit with the mouse, once I'd zoomed out I could see it, a half millimetre thick disk 10mm below where I'd punched the hole.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:33 am

Rather typical Aldi is the short answer. Decent.product, the world's worst instructions.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 am

dubdee1000 wrote:Managed to reprogram my accessory decoder by shorting out the platform lights during a downgrade of their luminance, but enough of that.

In the corner of my layout is a colliery. Named Giants Hall, its where my paternal grandfather worked. However, my maternal grandfather also worked in a mine and because his mine survived a bit longer, i can just about remember it. Pieeaters in this forum will recognise Bickershaw, one of the last deep coal mines in the lancashire coal field. At the moment, i use the bachmann model, which is not bad, certainly far better than the hornby effort, but the pithead gear is rather generic.

This photo of bickershaw highlights the difference.

bickershaw.jpg

Its actually my uncles photo. The very top of the headgear is quite different, which a big slab of i-bar strung over the top. What the purpose of that was i don't know.

Looking at this, it can't be too hard to make a representation of it using plastruct can it? Even if not to scale, the headgear is not desperately large and it would be a fitting memorial to my family. So lets get scratch building........!

Just seen this photograph and I can enlighten you to the purpose of the beam that was at the top of the headgear, This was a beam onto which a simple block and tackle was mounted for the purposes of lifting out the main winding wheels for maintenance purposes, nothing more elaborate! It can be seen more clearly on this photograph http://www.sixtownships.org.uk/uploads/1/0/4/6/10463757/bickershaw-colliery-bb_orig.jpg

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks Jim. I'm hoping to get up to bickershaw next weekend. Much changed now! Thanks for the pm about the book as well - it's been very helpful.

Had a bit of trial at doing a video tonight. Not sure if this will work but here we go :

https://youtu.be/At54d10SJL8

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for the video dubdee1000. I have been thinking about making videos myself recently. Something I've never had a go at.
How did you get "Unlisted" under the name for the video? Is that your actual youtube name or a public non-account holder uploaded video?

One constructive criticism. On the video it really shows up the gap under the retaining wall. I wonder if you can fill the gap with perhaps some vegetation or something?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm

'Unlisted' is an option on uploading. You can have it set to public, unlisted or private. Unlisted videos do not show up on a search and are 'findable' with a link. I also used the opportunity to remove my real name from youtube (it takes it from your google account otherwise). On a pc, you can also disable comments. Not on a mobile it seems.

You are quite correct about the retaining wall and the big gap. It is removable and joined to the bridge portal. However, now the ramp behind it is down, i can't see any reason to have this removable, sol i'll snap it from the portal and bond it down. I'll ballast up to it with a few tufts. I did glue one down to see what it looked like and it was fine. However, i think it would be easy to go mad, bonding loads down and having it look like something percy thrower needs a go at

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”