Beech Hill

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dubdee1000

Re: Beech Hill

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:45 am

My northern roots (routes?) dictated that i had to have a coal mine on the layout, plus i now live in South Wales, adding further reason to depict King Coal. Bachmann's model is the best of rtr and kits and seems the most representatice of UK mines. However, the 'slab sides' are disapointing. Part of me feels like taking a dremmel to them and cutting out to make it look more UK, but another part of me feels that this might be the last thing i do to it before it goes in the bin. The Scenecraft and Skaledale models are wonderful, but i do find that they are not amenable to alterations.

Anyhow, the work above was followed by laying a new track into the colliery.

The running lines on the ground floor will be boxed in using retaining walls and the track in the centre of this scene will give the impression of running through the wall (via a 'tunnel'), whereas in reality, it'll just end at the wall and serve as a place to keep the loaded coal wagons. When the buildings are on, it begins to come to life.

The foreground track is my programming track, so whilst it give the impression of being part of the diorama, it is in fact isolated. However, i do usually keep a few wagons on it to complete the scene.

I've temporarily raised the pithead gear on a couple of wooden blocks, but i think it would be better served by the adjacent buildings being similarly raised (maybe by not so much), with the line running in a shallow cutting between them. However, most pictures i have of collieries show them looking dead flat. There is the adage "if it looks right, it is right", but what does everyone think?
Last edited by dubdee1000 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi,

For my money, I think that having the buildings raised a little is a good idea. That Bachmann pithead is small for a UK coal mine ( but better than the first Hornby effort!) and raising it helps it to appear taller. I read Rob Johnson's Book - Modelling Aspects of the Coal Industry ( a brilliant read) and it seems that the nature of the geology of the coal seams affects the collieries groundwork. In South Wales, the coal seams rise to the surface of the valley sides and so many collieries are located on the sloping sides of those valleys. Many originated as drift mines rather than pits. In northern England, those coal seams are deeper underground and so the collieries seem more likely to be built on flatter ground.

I built mine 75mm above the rail level. See this link for details..... http://gwynraven.webs.com/thecollierymodel.htm I did this because it is South Wales based and because then the coal tubs from the pit are on the same level as the tops of the coal wagons. If you model your colliery on flat ground, you'd have to arrange a way for the coal to get up to the coal trucks i.e. a conveyor. Coal is screened into different sizes at a building called coal screens and I don't see these in either the Bachmann or Skaledale ranges.

The plain sided of the Bachmann Pit can be embellished by glueing plastic girders to it. I cut the little hut off mine and I was sweating heavily at the thought of destroying my £20 model!
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Cheers Si.

I had a look at your colliery site - very impressive and might i say very brave to take a saw to that Bachmann Pithead. I have some photos stored somewhere on this pc of Astley Green Colliery (a preserved mine in the north west) :

http://www.agcm.org.uk/index.shtml

There is a nice aerial view showing the whole site, where everything is on a level! However, despite some of the buildings looking much like the Skaledale ones, i'm still not convinced that it will lok 'right' like this

On another note, had my dad photographing part of the layout. Far better than man my useless efforts and when i can convert the images to something more mangable, i'll post more of his efforts
Last edited by dubdee1000 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Si_Donal

Postby Si_Donal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Here's a link to Chris Nevard's website ( he's a photographer and editor for Hornby Magazine). He's detailed a Hornby colliery and has a plan about how to set it up.

http://www.nevardmedia5.fotopic.net/c1482728.html

I hope it helps.
Si

Leisure Time = those moments between the lists of jobs that a wife gives you to do.

Visit my layout thread at: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=24781

ste234

Postby ste234 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:43 pm

I like the single coach 158 :lol: :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

Ha ha, yes very funny. The class 158 railcar cam about from a DCC decoder installation. I followed the electric nose website, which was great, but the problem came about when trying to sort out lighting for the trailer car. I set about through-wiring it, but this was nothing short of a disaster. The 158, at best 'sensitive' about some curves and points became a right royal pita. Unfortunately, i only learned this after i had paritally dismantled the lighting board in the trailer car. So, the wire cutters came out and an email to Bachmann to get some new parts. This is one of those 'back-burner jobs. I'm going to get a cheapy decoder and simply put that in the trailer care with the same address as the power car.

Mind you, if you think the DCCing 158 is bad, you want to try the 166!

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 pm

...and five months later....

Had a bit of time free from work and studies so got on with adding some scenery around the pit (nb 'pit' not 'mine'). Pit name will be "Giants Hall Colliery", a real pit from my home town and conveniently next to Beech Hill in real life, but thats an aside. Took some inspiration from a trip to Astley Green colliery back home plus a couple of Ian Allen books. I think the Hornby buildings, whilst nice, are a bit twee, so they'll be grubbied up in due course, with lots of corrugated iron to bung on as well. (Bickershaw seemed to made of corrugated iron and nothing else.). So, out with the Mod Roc tonight - a freebie after helping a mate value a collection that had dropped in his lap. So far so good, when it sets hard, i'm going to go a bit more freelance with the plaster and lose some of the hard edges.

This exercise has been more encourgaging than i thought as you can begin to see things taking shape. Thats a nice feeling. Feeling like i want the Arriva 57, or maybe just save up for a pair of 76's!

ps, Lord knows what happened to the earlier pics - seem to have been corrupted

DSC_3738.JPG
DSC_3738.JPG (73.46 KiB) Viewed 2789 times

DSC_3739.jpg
DSC_3739.jpg (29.37 KiB) Viewed 2787 times

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Well, another few months of inactivity goes by and then another flurry. Finally got around to losing the snow effect around the coal mine. Also had a useful trip to Big Pit to see a real coal mine. They're not as big as might think. Paint was kindly mixed by my local hardware shop. I picked out some colours from the chart and she kindly mixed up some tester pots (see background). My next intention to to spray some diluted PVA over the landscape and sieve on some scatter. The buildings look very much like the been plonked down, so they'll need to be bedded in better and are also in need of some weathering. I can't see that coal mines were ever that clean. Not too sure about ballasting the track - real coal mines just seem to have it fill with sludge, which i'm sure will be a dam site easier. I'm thinking of some coarse and uneven plaster spread between and around the sleepers
Attachments
DSCF4695.JPG
DSCF4695.JPG (109.44 KiB) Viewed 2677 times

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Sheez ballasting is boring. On the upside, makes the photos look better
Attachments
DSC00506b.jpg
preserved 9F on a mineral wagon demonstration
DSC00506b.jpg (38.56 KiB) Viewed 2526 times

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Hey Dubdee, Looks like a really nice layout coming on here.

Can't wait to see more, the last pic looks amazing.

Keep them coming,

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:37 pm

One of the things about buying stuff is that it has to go somewhere. When i bought some more locos and units, they ended up on the layout, each taking up more and more space. This began to hold up modelling the scenery and i was conscious of time going by. So, everything off and into the cupboard and now its time to crack on with the ballasting and adding the point motors. So, ballasting first.

P1020546 (640x480).jpg
P1020546 (640x480).jpg (200.81 KiB) Viewed 2335 times

I bought one of these little resin boxes into which you pour the ballast and then just run it along the track. I think that the supplier of these (Off Ebay) posts on this forum from time to time. It works very well and is certainly quick. You need the ballast to be very dry though as any damp lumps will clog it.
I find that it still needs a dry brush to remove the excess, after which, it looks like this (bottom track):

P1020548 (640x480).jpg
P1020548 (640x480).jpg (278.85 KiB) Viewed 2338 times

To get a nicer finished result and get rid of all the ballast from on top of the sleepers, i turn the little resin box upside down and tap it along the track. This seems to disturb this loose ballast thats sitting on the sleepers and it falls into the gap between the sleepers:

P1020549 (640x480).jpg
P1020549 (640x480).jpg (293.34 KiB) Viewed 2337 times

Its not going to win any prizes, but its enough for me. To do the three tracks (on the left) in this picture took around 10 minutes:

P1020552 (640x480).jpg
P1020552 (640x480).jpg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 2333 times

But it remains to be glued down and weathered. Then again, so does my loco fleet:

P1020553 (640x335).jpg
I have a soft spot for 37's - you can never have too many
P1020553 (640x335).jpg (159.54 KiB) Viewed 2332 times

Triumph

Postby Triumph » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Love the shot of the 9F, excellent! And I agree, you can never have enough 37s :D
Cheers, Tony

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Top stuff chap! been looking at the thread here once in a while, and got your heads up, as it seems me and thee are going to be weathering some track in the not to distant future, your ballasting looks top notch and i'll be another one who likes the black and white shot of the 9F .. carry on there! :D

Terrier

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Cheers both. I find the ballasting dull as anything and easily become distracted to go and doing something else. Lots of coursework coming up, then my dissertation, so the ballasting will be at the end of a very long queue. Time to lay the track - 3 days. Time to ballast it - ?3 years. Still, some comfort from Electric Nose's now defunct website which at the time it went kaput, was even less ballasted than mine

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:32 am

dubdee1000 wrote:
But it remains to be glued down and weathered. Then again, so does my loco fleet:

P1020553 (640x335).jpg

Dont glue it down!! :shock:
Lol the ballasting is quite impressive dude, keep up the good work :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”