Fintry Junction - N Gauge Scenic Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Graham Warren

Re: Fintry Junction - N Gauge Scenic Layout

Postby Graham Warren » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:29 am

Stunning scenery ! The corn field is fantastic ! :)

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 pm

Once in a while something crops up that makes you go "wow ...thats unique". The combine harvester is a terrific touch to a fine layout, and is something I have never seen a layout before. To make it complete a young couple having a erm cuddle in the corn in front of the combine might be worth considering. Le Tracteur anyone?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Lovely scenics on this layout 8)

Nice rolling stock too. I've always liked 33's & 73's :mrgreen:

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Jason

Thanks for the comments

I‘ve had a look at your layout and it’s a lovely narrow gauge with great scenery and detail

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Work on the station master’s house is progressing slowly as I have been spending time on detail items such as people and vehicles. The shell is complete and the next stage is painting the stonework.

I have also had a go at improving the weathering on the Graham Farish 47 by removing a layer of the overly heavy factory weathering with T-Cut, cutting the exhaust port in the right place and adding oily residue on the roof

I was lucky and picked up this perfect Graham Farish 66 in GBRf Barbie colours for only £33 on Ebay

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Solid start on the Station Master's house :)
Did you draw a plan to work from or just go by eye?

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Southern Boy

I have a good number of photos of the building and used the rainwater down pipes as a basis for the scaling (6ft lengths) from the photos therefore no need for a plan. The photos were taken form different distances so the scaling could be checked over a number of images. I think I have the dimensions about right
Last edited by rabbitaway on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 am

Well it's looking spot on :)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 am

Not just dimensions; I think what stands out too is the exact replication of the stonework around the doorway and the correct stonework of the actual building.....very impressive! A lot of modellers, me included just make do with what's available with stone sheet. Were you lucky there or did you scribe the stone yourself?
Nice work on the 47 by the way. I would say that some oily attention to the tanks would add to it too.

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Grotland

The stonework is scribed by hand to get the right effect on the building. I am working in N so not too bad a job on smaller buildings. I will use sheet material if suitable for other buildings as I am not that keen!

I have had a look at your layout and the painting and weathering is excellent on your buildings I hope I can do as good a job

Agreed about the fuel tanks on the 47 I will have a look at some photos of the real thing the get the finish spot on

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Mon May 10, 2010 1:39 am

New area complete, the camping coach, VW and tent

Another view of the cornfield

People added to the coal yard

Scammell Scarab, a fleetline kit

More detailed added to the station

New Class 24

The Station Master’s house is now painted and the roof started

kiwinewt

Postby kiwinewt » Tue May 11, 2010 1:22 am

Wow. I am in awe and admiration. Definately an influence on my current layout...
Just one question - how did you do the cornfield?
Nate

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Tue May 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Nate

Have a look at my answer to Southern Boy’s similar question on how the cornfield was made on the third page of this thread

Thanks for the supportive comments

Jim G

Postby Jim G » Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Newbie here just about to start my first layout and in awe of the layouts shown on the board here.Please no breath holding awaiting my layout build :roll:

Just have to ask how do you get the water effect???

Jim

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Tue May 11, 2010 9:59 pm

Jim

The water is just a plywood base with the wood grain filled with decorator’s filler and painted with various browns and greens with a good number of coats of gloss polyurethane varnish (do not use the water based stuff).

The water is one aspect I am not fully happy with because over time the wood grain is now showing through even although filled and the base colour was too dark once the varnish was applied. I would next time apply a thicker layer of filler and use lighter base colours.

To get the right effect of the railway running through the landscape use the open frame method of baseboard and avoid overly steep angles of ground. You want to get away from the flat earth look. I use expanded polystyrene cut to shape covered with Aertex. Try not to fit too much into the space you have available or the layout will look cluttered and unrealistic.

You did not say if you are working in N or OO but generally N is better for the railway in the landscape approach and 00 for the detailed scenes.

If you need any other advice as a newbie please just reply to the post

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”