Layout construction begins.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hood50031

Re: Layout construction begins.

Postby hood50031 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:07 pm

i am so happy that i could help you with your track laying hope to come round soon to give you more help.
liam

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:26 am

Well it seems only yesterday Me and my son did the track laying and thats as far as its got. After initial trials that were good to say the least I came to the conclusion I was not happy with it. And after a think and a chat with my son we decided to rip it up and start again. I hope to recover all the track and most of the timber.

The next step is to model a real location. And it aint an easy one either. Remember small space, So I chose to model Knaresborough station and hopefully the viduct aswell. It should fit in ok but that remains to be seen. So hopefully work will begin this week as my sons coming over for the weekend and we like nothing better than working things out.

Hope you all had a nice christmas and a peacefull new year.

Monarch and Hood

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:25 am

An update for you all. We lifted the track yesterday evening and also got 2 of the baseboards ready. We have calculated the station area and the viaduct, We now have to make a small frame to drop the baseboard for the viaduct as we are just using a peice of chipboard for the moment as a guide to height of the river bed to station area. And if this all goes to plan it will look stunning. The height is 13 inches and a viaduct of 4 feet in lenght.

We are going to take a lot more time with this layout as to rush this would be suicide. Only 2 points on the main layout for the Knaresborough turn backs so track laying should be a really simple affair. We are going for looks rather than operating multiple trains. Mostly units and Im going to model the RHTT for use with DRS37 and 20. Light loco movements on route learning duties is another and a ballast train is also another so there will be locos seen on rare occassions.

I wil post photos of the construction pt2 soon.

Monarch and Hood

NSE DAZ

Postby NSE DAZ » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi 50010Monarch

Sounds like an intresting project can not wait to see your progress 8)
NSE DAZ
Unleashing the toothpaste livery!!!Thank you for travelling Network SouthEast

Road Stone

Postby Road Stone » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:43 am

Any updates, it was getting interesting.

Cheers, Jerry
I know Nothing!

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 am

I just need to finish up some small peices of work then i will be posting some new photos of the progress so watch this space in the next few days. Hope to have the 2 main boards up together today and the viaduct trackbed in maybe tomorrow thats dependent on time with work.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:38 pm

As promised here is the latest update from our new layout "Knaresborough". The viaduct trackbed is in and on its stilts. In a few wekks work will stop completely whilst we are on holiday for over a month. But once I return home work will be back on with the new boards constructed for the corner and fiddleyards. Still quite a bit of work to do. But trackbed (cork) will be laid soon so at least we can make a start on track laying and wiring. And one thing is for sure this will take a long time to be completed as a layout as the viaduct is a mammoth task, That i dont really know how to tackle. But we will attempt to make it look as real as we can.

As can be seen the viaduct is going to be the focal point and impressive it will look to.

Hope you enjoy the update more to follow soon.

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

I will be keeping eye on this one as it appears to be the most ambitious project around at the moment. The end result will hopefully look stunning.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:28 am

50010Monarch wrote:....Im going to model the RHTT for use with DRS37 and 20. Light loco movements on route learning duties is another....

I take it you read and stored the article in Model Rail then, lol. I quite like the idea of modelling that myself, but I'm thinking of being a bit more ambitious by incorporating a track cleaning mechanism into it using cleaner fluid and cigarette tips which was suggested in a modelling magazine a couple of years back. I need to build a layout once again first though :wink:

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah I did read the article and thats given me food for thought. Although I do think a wagon kit is available that better fits the RHTT. But if not I do know that bogie kits are available from Appleby Models If I remember correctly. As for makign it a working rail cleaner that I do not know about. But it could be an interesting ting to think about for the future. But the layout comes first at the moment. Thanks for the words on the layout but as for being The most ambitious well that remains to be seen. The wife is even more up for this one as she loves Knaresborough so gleening the odd few quid for better scenic materials should be easy. And thats always a bonus.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 pm

Well as our holiday approaches work has been hectic to say the least. And today is the first real time Ive had what I needed to continue. I purchased a roll of Jarvis scenics cork. I have cut the peices for the main trackbed and these have been glued down to the scenic area that we have so far. Now I must wait until tomorrow as I am working the early morning Leeds-York (06:09) Via Harrogate. I need to look at the viaduct and station trackbed to see if the track is raised from the main trackbed ( a ballast shoulder) if you want the real terminology. If it does then I will be cutting that tomorrow and glueing it down and once dry mixing some matt black (blackboard paint with some old gloss white I have kicking about to get a mid grey colour as why waste money on paint when I have plenty at home. This will be probably all I will get done this week as the holiday is taking prority ( although I may get the track down if time and inclination permits). Im a lot happier with the new pair of legs ive made for the Viaduct board. Its now much more stable than the original monopod leg.
Heres the latest photos of progress, Slow but sure is the best way until I get back from Brasil. And after 4 weeks of sun sand sea and beer I will be fully recharged to progress faster.
With the cork down and glued.

Had to put the track loosely down just to see. With some wood acting as platforms for the feel of it.

The viaduct will be awesome thats for sure.

All the best folks and I hope you enjoy the latest update.
Glenn.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 pm

One of the most important things in the future is a fact finding visit to Knaresborough. When my son is here we will be nipping over there for an hour or two with the camera. My son will become a usefull measureing person for getting the buildings just right. Also the surroundings of the station nee photos and rough drawings. This is the only way we will get this whole project off the ground. So keep your eyes open in March and April for large updates as thats when I will be getting down to the nitty gritty of this project. Holidays over and work getting me down then the cellar it is for some soothing modelling.(Or more stress if things dont quite go right).

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:03 am

The baseboard tops are painted and are ready to take track.So hopefully this evening I will get an hour in to lay the track on the scernic section. If my son can come over on saturday afternoon then i will get him to bring his EZ commander with him. He has dynamis but his EZ commander is used for testing newly chipped locos etc. And hopefully the first runs will be made on the scenic section. I will post photos tonight as to the latest developments. :roll:

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 am

Well my son did not make it over as hoped. So the track never got laid as planned but Im now packed for my holiday which leaves today almost free. So im going to lay the track ready for my return from Brasil in just over a month. Hope to get a crack on then with the layout. So track laying it is today. Yippee track laying and the thought of a rest for a month. Must be planned this way....

Photos to follow later today.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Managed to lay 2 peices of flexi and get 2 more ready then I stopped. The viaduct was taking my interest and a lot of sit there music on looking at it before I decided I really wanted to get it drawn up and marked out on hardboard. As luck would have it I had a 4 foot by 3 foot sheet at hand so the viaduct had 4 arches and the are at 1 foot center on the pillars. So lucky me thats the viaduct facia backing. It took around 4 hours just to get my head around drawing it on, But its on and im ready to take the jigsaw to itFine blde and slow speed to stop roughing it up. Hope to get it cut soon and photos posted tonight.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”