Layout construction begins.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
50010Monarch

Layout construction begins.

Postby 50010Monarch » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Well after many many weeks languishing in the design stage I have finally begun the constrction of the layout to be called Bradford. Its a two level enad to end layout with a high level station loosly based on Bradford Interchange and a low level scrap metal merchants with rail connection. I was lucky to have secured some wood from a local school that was being dispossed. So I have done a little bit for the environment by recycling. Its thick conti board for the baseboard tops in very good condition. So its a bonus. Photos of work will follow shortly.

50010Monarch

Re: Layout construction begins.

Postby 50010Monarch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Well a little update on the construction project. I have finally got around to moving the computer desk in the cellar. This has now become an integeral part of my flight sim cockpit. I took the jigsaw and cut the bottom off it and screwed it to where my glare shaild should go. Thus giving me 2 foot extra space and saving me building a glaresheild so I win all ways around.

I have also been given a tube full of used but in good condition code 75 peco flexi. So finescale it is as this will save me a few quid aswell. It had been in my dads loft for years as he was given it and he uses code 100. So bonus all round. Also took delivery of a 158 in full Northern livery so now have 3 units a 158 in Metro red and silver, 158 in Northern and a 153 in Northern. Im hoping to secure some points in the next week or two so then tracklaying can commence. Im going dcc straight off as it is the way forward. I have a big holiday coming up so funds are very very tight until april next year but at least a star has been made.

Onwards and upwards.

:twisted:

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Just taken some photos of the project so far and am uploading to photobucket then resize them to 800x600 and will upload later today.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Well I'll be the 1st to reply and why not....

Get the pics up as a picture tell's a 1,000 words....good luck in the meantime....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:06 am

Well here goes nothing tried to post photos last night and got annoyed as they were not showing on the post. I gave up and went to have a beer instead. Now its morning my head is clear and I have had some guidance from Terrier so i will try again.

[url]Image[/url]
Cockpit with computer desk addaption.

[url]Image[/url]
First baseboard constructed.

Hope you like the images and more will follow as progress continues when work allows time. Being a guard means long shifts and not much time at home. So hope to post more over the comming days. Im off to an exibition in Leeds on Saturday so hope to pick up some bits and peices at the show.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Well another busy morning and afternoon in the cellar and the bridge board is made and the first fiddleyard board is also made just waiting to scew it to the bridge board. I have also lowered the station board by about 1.5 inch as to ease the gradient from the scrap metal merchants to the fiddleyard. I decided against the duel fiddle yard as it could be troublesome for operations. Photos will follow later today.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Top stuff chap, glad i could help with the picture uploading (some more refined advice has come forth lol) anyway, i was distracted from the board construction you have going on by the Ark Royal Loco name plate and the flight simulator lol.

Looks like you are having fun though, so i look forward to seeing how your layout develops. :)

many thanks

Terrier

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 pm

:lol: permission to say "tally ho" and "zippardy doo daaahhh" in a rather annoying voice

Good stuff sir keep building

slackers

"its all feck this and feck that father" "fearsome stuff father"..."yes Mrs Doyle, now we must get ready for the nuns coming"
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Well as promised but late the new photos follow and more will be on the way shortly as work progresses. The exhibition at Leeds Grammar School was excellant. Many lovely layouts which have given me some inspiration for what I want mine to looklike in detail.

[url]Image[/url]
This is the current extent of board building just 1 more to go that will be removable due to the doorway into my play room.

[url]Image[/url]
This shows the station junction and also the scrap metal merchants yard. This is all still open to modification but ive tried many different layout designs but this one seems to be the most realistic and sensible.

[url]Image[/url]
My lovely 153. One of the most detailed and best looking Hornby models produced.

As said earlier more photos will follow as and whae more work gets done. ENJOY.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:11 pm

Hello Monarch,
A very nice start to your Lay-out. Looking forward to seeing your 75 Track and how it compares with the 100 Track. Can somebody please give me the "benefits" of one track to the other? Is it simply aesthetic appearance? Or are there operating advantages? Keep-up the good work,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Fifey

Postby Fifey » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:14 am

I'm not sure if it works better, in fact I think older locomotives have some trouble, but I had a look in the shop the other day and it looks damn purdy.

Holy ****! Never saw the cockpit. That is so damn awesome.
Last edited by Fifey on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:55 am

To be fair; anyone who really can't be arsed and just goes for a beer, and also happens to build himself a fighter cockpit for gameing needs no justification in any cicumstance :wink:
Code 75 always looks a lot better to me (I use code 100 becuase I already had it), but really 75 is best I would say

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:28 pm

GROTLAND the fighter cockpit is my thing you know and a fellow Pink Floyd fan should know theres more to that than meets the eye :shock:

But i do agree code 75 is the way forward. I only have new rolling stock so no worries with running. If anyone has old stock then its a re wheel and thats not worth the expense unless you want eye candy.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Hope to get more work done tomorrow. Im going to purchase some track and points etc. And hope to get images posted tomoorrow of the progress.

50010Monarch

Postby 50010Monarch » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Well I went to Going Loco in Wakefield a very good model shop indeed. :lol:

I purchased £100 in track. There were 12 various peco points (second hand but in excellent condition)
9 extra lengths of Flexi. And some more fish plates. And the track laying is commencing as I type. I have used Lino as an underlay for the track and its looking dam fine.

I will post pictures at some point over the weekend when more is complete.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”