Isle of Wight layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lost track

Isle of Wight layout

Postby lost track » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:08 pm

I am slowly planning and collecting materials for my layout that I hope will reflect the Isle of Wight railway network. Including studying lots of pictures and trackplans of stations that no longer exist in order to get the best possible layout to fit in the available space that I have..12ft x 6ft. Added to that my other half has suprised me by wanting to buy and run mallards and flying scotsmans on my layout :shock: :roll: added to that she keeps making peep peep sounds...all very worrying as I don't think she is pulling my leg.

This is a current hornby terrier with transfers removed with the aid of B&Q brush cleaner and cotton buds. Now waiting for 4mm nameplates, romford couplings and a bunker extension and new transfers to become W11 'Newport'

Yes these are hornby 4 wheelers :D love em or loathe them. They are cheap and easy to experiment/alter. I have painted out the windows on the rear coaches last compartment and cut two rear windows to form a brake composite. I hope to add new couplings and transfers soon.

Terrier

Re: Isle of Wight layout

Postby Terrier » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello lost track, just a quick compliment on the rear windows on the four wheeler carriage, looks great, and goes to some extent without saying that the work you have done to convert the Hornby Terrier to W11 Newport is simply top stuff. :D

Look forward to more good work. :wink:

Regards

Terrier.

lost track

Postby lost track » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:22 pm

:D Thanks Terrier,

I realise the image above is of W8 'Freshwater' so I have added an image of W11 'Newport' looking good in southern black livery.

Last edited by lost track on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

lost track

Postby lost track » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:38 am

:) just an update to my layout, prgress is a bit slow but I have now managed to complete one of two 6ft x 2ft baseboard tables, Otherwise I have been fine tuning the trackplan and buying track :D

here is the first table under construction

I have been reading a lot about track underlay, foam...cork....cardboard...I have two 6x2 sheets of very thin polystirene. I am going to give this a try.
The poly sheets are possibly only so thin because they have spent many years under a very large and heavy fishtank :shock:
Last edited by lost track on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:42 am

Looking good so far, Im very interested in this layout, also being a member of the IWSR and i was there only a couple of weeks ago, and before I made the bluebell Horsted Keynes layout, I planned on building havenstreet. I abondoned it cause there were no RTR o2 tank engines... but now i have one :D

Good luck with your project will be watching this with great interest. :)

lost track

Postby lost track » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 am

:D Thanks Matt, As I said progress is a bit slow at the moment ( seems that way to me anyway) You have an 02? you lucky devil :)
I have 3 terriers at the moment to work on ..I have never tried kit building so I am hoping to get hold of a ready built 02 but won't hold my breath.
I have even toyed with the idea of using M7's..they seem very similar in many respects. only 5ft longer, could maybe add a vacuum cylinder and westinghouse air brakes. I know that towards the end of the era a couple of M7s at fratton were being canabalized for parts to be used on Island 02's.

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Hi Lost track - really interesting layout you have there,

I like the conversion on the hornby 4 wheel coaches - the model looks really close to the photo you posted - top job so far!

regards

Steve

lost track

Postby lost track » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm

:D Hello Steve,
thanks for your comments, hopefully I will be laying some track down at the weekend, my main problem at the moment is lack of patience :roll:
I have to make sure I complete all the preperation jobs before jumping ahead to the exiting bits..sigh

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:55 pm

No problem on the comment. Yes I have o2 tank Calbourne, wills finecaste white metel kit which are ok, the chassis isnt great... needs some pickups on the trailing bogie, i brought it off ebay as ive been appart of Calbournes overhaul so its a special engine for me.

Your idea of m7 is one ive considered when doing mine they are close in appearence but are alot larger in height not just length but could do it.

lost track

Postby lost track » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:20 pm

lost track wrote::D hopefully I will be laying some track down at the weekend,

Well that was an overly optamistic statement was'nt it. :roll: Here are a few pics of my layout progress, wich has been somewhat slower than I thought.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 pm

No rush to finish,too much stuff gets rushed when there really is no need.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:41 pm

as smallman says no rush in finishing. if you rush things the results maybe not as you wanted, take it slowly and the results will be better! Im still improving mine after 4 years, next year will be 5 years old, im sure more improvemnts will come.

good luck with it.

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing more.. are you going to make a model isle of wight or make it fictional with the IoW stock?

lost track

Postby lost track » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi smallman,Matt, :)
your advice is sound..and appreciated. thanks,

Hi egroeg, for this particular layout wich is my first, I have cut myself some slack by creating a fictional section of the Islands lost network. The first 'real' part to be built was from Newport to Cowes along the western bank of the river Medina..so I thought..what if it had been built along the eastern bank from Newport to East Cowes. East Cowes being the only town on the Island that never actually had a station or railway.
I intend to use trackplans of stations and halt's that did exist, including a warf based on the real Medina warf that once existed on the west bank of the river.
Also I will try to make my rolling stock as close to island type as possible. I have three terriers, I am hoping to have one or two Adams 02s..in the meantime as it is fictional there maybe some questionable addition's :) I know an E4 was sent to the island in 1947 for trials..but was not succesful...maybe it could have been :wink: or possibly an M7

edit: I just got the egroeg thing...Doh! cheers george :lol:

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:18 pm

smallman28 wrote:No rush to finish,too much stuff gets rushed when there really is no need.

On a light note, a gentleman in one on this months model engineering magazines has just finished a loco he started when he was 16 - he's now 85 !!

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”