N - Moggington - It's like Christmas!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SimonDBench

N - Moggington - It's like Christmas!

Postby SimonDBench » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi everyone! I have been lurking about on here for a few days and have finally got round to sigining up an account. I am just starting to embark on my 1st model railway....well appart from the 00 one my dad was going to do but gave up on....he gave me all hi trains but I liked the N scale stuff more so I sold them to a model dealer :P

With the money I got for the oo trains and track I bought a Castle Class 4080 powderham castle, some track and a bachman controller. Ok not a lot and no rolling stock but it was a start! soon after I bought some different bits and bobs of GWR rolling stock and some BR GW region carragies and a panier tank. Soon enough though knew I would be needing a board to work on.

I have a respectable 4.2Meter x 1Meter board to play on now after much hard work building and arguing with my Mother about what was acceptable. In the end I made the vaild point that the fact I paid rent meant she had no say :)

What I want to do is has a double loop, which is to say a mainline with 2 tracks that goes around the board twice and at some point will go over itself. Then to have a yard at the front of the layout for shunting and storage. The laout is named after my girlfriend who I always call Mog (because like a cat she stretches out when asleep and steals all the bed!) and sometimes I call her Moggington. There is no specific time era for the layout as I will run what I like and create some ficticious companies etc although I am prety much pure steam :)

The table is made up of 2 seperate tables meaining I should be able to move the layout if need be. Here is the skeleton on 1 section

and here is the finished board.

and here is a simple bit of track.

The board splits in half and is held together by 2 locating pins, 4 leveling brackets and 2 clasps.

Last month I bought a metcafe terrece house kit to play with and really enjoyed it (as did my girlfriend who built one too) also found 3 second hand GWR Corridor carridges which were only £7 each, bargin.

powderham castle with the 2 BR gw carrides and 3 GWR carridges.

This month I managed to spend an awful lot of money in one go on track :D It makes me laugh sometimes how expensive this hobby is but ah well better than peeing the money up the wall. I now have all the track I need to make the double loop I want which should mean I nice bridge section right across the front. I also bought a GWR 20 ton coal wagon kit to try my hand at. Although the kit had poor instructions I managed to figure it out. Personally I think it looks a little wonky and naff but I only bought it to experiment with so I can't complain :) I also weathered up a few other bits and pieces to see how hard it would be and I think they came out rather well.

A little bit scenic

Some of my new track down (lots of curves and some other straights off camera all waiting for the incline to be created)

20 ton coal wagon

small lineside hut I weathered up

Peco coal filled buffer sections

That's all for now. Hopefully I will have some more of the board development done in the coming weeks and I can start thinking about cork.
Last edited by SimonDBench on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 am, edited 11 times in total.

m8internet

Re: N Guage - Moggington

Postby m8internet » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:40 pm

I wish my carpentry skills were that good
Seemless joints, I wish!
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:35 pm

Well I wouldn't exactly say flawless carpentry as there is a small gap between my boards which I will fix with a lil bit of cork :) But still not bad for a first attempt.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:06 pm

great start to your layout SimonDBench. I agree with m8internet in that your carpentry skills have come in handy to produce a fine example of a sturdy baseboard. Are you considering covering the whole of the top in cork matting or just under the rails?

In terms of your layout, its a good start. I did notice only one set of turnouts on the main line loops - are you intending on adding a further set to allow your trains to access both loops without having to reverse over the points?

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 pm

bluechang wrote:great start to your layout SimonDBench. I agree with m8internet in that your carpentry skills have come in handy to produce a fine example of a sturdy baseboard. Are you considering covering the whole of the top in cork matting or just under the rails?

In terms of your layout, its a good start. I did notice only one set of turnouts on the main line loops - are you intending on adding a further set to allow your trains to access both loops without having to reverse over the points?

Hi bluechang,

I think I will cork only under the rails and station areas (station areas so the platforms are the correct level) that way I should get a nice raised balast look and use less cork :). also I hope to use the cork to help with the gradients which will be at the back of the layout. This should help me have a nice smooth transition to the upper levels with less ha

I may also use the cork to create raised pavements in town area leavinf me with the smooth base board for the roads. I'm not sure what benefits I would gain by corking the whole base board appart from maybe that It would hide the seem of the 2 tables better.

As for the mainlines turn outs yes I do plan on having another set in there to allow trains to crossover freely. I just kinda forgot to pick up the 2 right hand turn outs on my last trip to the model shop, ooops :D. I think I need to sit and have a ponder on my station so that maybe I can have a highspeed mainline (or 2) in the middle allowing local service trains to wait in the station with out interupting the mainline engines. Although All that worries me as I am considering to get DCC for my layout and as yet my brain is bamboozled by talk of frogs @__@

Simon

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:56 pm

Always nice to see a new N gauge layout Simon, and apart from obviously good carpentry skills, I think you've done a great job on with your weathering too.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:27 pm

SimonDBench wrote:
bluechang wrote:great start to your layout SimonDBench. I agree with m8internet in that your carpentry skills have come in handy to produce a fine example of a sturdy baseboard. Are you considering covering the whole of the top in cork matting or just under the rails?

Hi bluechang,

I think I will cork only under the rails and station areas (station areas so the platforms are the correct level) that way I should get a nice raised balast look and use less cork :). also I hope to use the cork to help with the gradients which will be at the back of the layout. This should help me have a nice smooth transition to the upper levels with less ha

I may also use the cork to create raised pavements in town area leavinf me with the smooth base board for the roads. I'm not sure what benefits I would gain by corking the whole base board appart from maybe that It would hide the seem of the 2 tables better.

As for the mainlines turn outs yes I do plan on having another set in there to allow trains to crossover freely. I just kinda forgot to pick up the 2 right hand turn outs on my last trip to the model shop, ooops :D. I think I need to sit and have a ponder on my station so that maybe I can have a highspeed mainline (or 2) in the middle allowing local service trains to wait in the station with out interupting the mainline engines. Although All that worries me as I am considering to get DCC for my layout and as yet my brain is bamboozled by talk of frogs @__@

Simon

You are not the only one bamboozled - one piece of advice I will give you is to use insulated rail joiners on the V of each turnout before it is pinned down as I found out - I didn't use IRJs on my turnouts, only to suffer shorts with a class 66. If you use the IRJ's it allows the turnout to set the correct polarity for the V, removing the possibility for a short. (hope that makes sense - if not I will post a pic to show what I mean)

I would also recommend getting a decent soldering iron, and practise, as if you are going to go down the DCC route, all areas of the track will need electrifying. I took the easier method and purchased pre soldered rail joiners from a guy on ebay. my N layout is 5x3 and I had to use around 50 all in all.

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Well I spent a while scouring the boards for info on DCC stuff and think I will just use my set track turnouts with some insulated joins and that should be ok. This weekend I am going set some up and get a meter on them just to make sure I am right about what I'm doing :D I doubt that I will be able to buy the DCC stuff for my layout until after christmas though.

Today I had 4 metcalfe model kits arrive in the post (well whilst I was at work, good job the gf was in to take them)
I have ...

1 red brick platform kit
1 red brick station
1 set of 4 cottages
1 set of 2 redbrick low relief terrace houses

Started on a cottage tonight and looks great. My girlfriend has decided that she too is going to make some of these for me which is nice as I like that she shows an interest.
I want to try my hand at blending the corners on theses kits (I'm thinking filler and paint) and then try my hand at some weathering them. I think leaving the buildings as they are will look far to out of place but I am a little nervous about what they will end up looking like. Either way I will post up some pictures before and after once I have had a go.

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:41 pm

A small update to show what I have been doing recently.

Firstly I have been building my metcalfe buildings with some help from my lovely assistant. But they are not that interesting so no pics of those (I will take some when I weather and modify them)

The main thing I have been doing is testing gradients for my locos to get up and as you can see in the picture below I have put together the 2 main hills for the back of the layout which will later be hidden by hills and what not

This allows me to get started with the upper level of the layout and test the plan in my head.....but I have no wood and no money to buy wood. The bit I did use was spare from the baseboard construction. Good job I have a big DVD collection!

And yes I know this is the most tacky looking thing in the world but I did get to set up one loop to demonstrate what I want to achieve trackwise on the layout. My castle class (powderham) managed to pulll 4 carriges up the incline with little slowdown so I am please very pleased :) The little panier tank was a little less able but still pulls between 3 and 4 carriges up the incline ok.

The uglyness of DVD's all over the place was annoying me though so I cast my mind back to GCSE Science and made a paper bridge as I had some 100mg paper laying about.

I think the thing I liked about this the most was that everyone seemed to think it would probably break. But it didn't :P I actually had a lot of fun making it which means I am now looking forward even more to making my own bridge from scratch when the time comes.

That's all for now

Simon

tinman

Postby tinman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Simon,

Looks like you've made a good start there :)

Your reasoning to your mum for doing what you want wouldn't fly with me, I'd be inclined to say "but it's still my house so if you don't like it..." lol, but I'm glad you got what you wanted, that's a decent sized baseboard

Good to hear your gf is interested, makes it a nice opportunity to do something together, my wife's taking an interest too but sadly she's a bit of a liability when let loose with a kit or paintbrush lol - I gave her a freebie card kit to try and, well, lets just say it ain't gonna be making an official appearance....

Looking forward to seeing how things progress

Martin.
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Hello Simon,
If nothing else :lol: :roll: at least your school experience taught you about load displacement - nice temporary bridge concept - and I always thought that DVD boxes were only good for "bridge-building" and not for the boxes content :) :lol:. Keep-up the good work, looking forward to more from you and GF,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:49 pm

SimonDBench wrote: ... The main thing I have been doing is testing gradients ... The uglyness of DVD's all over the place was annoying me though so I cast my mind back to GCSE Science and made a paper bridge ...

You're demonstrating some useful qualities there: Thoroughness, an aesthetic eye and resourcefulness :)
Looking good Simon :)

SimonDBench

Postby SimonDBench » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Well Moggington has kinda been put on hold. To put it plainly I don't have the same room I did before so I won't be able to go large scale until I can afford a house (and I wont be able to look for one of those till the end of this year).

For now I am going to have to think smaller.....much smalll.....It makes me sad how small lol. I don't really have enough room for a loop even so I am going to instead model a small goods yard which may be able to be intergrated to a larger layout later on.

I do think that this will be a good experience though. Ok I won't be able to run nice big mainline trains but I do hope to gather some skills from doing this small one.

Here is the board (and my lunch) corked over already so I am good to start.
The board is an odd shape because it is designed to sit on a window sill.

And here is what I am going to do layout wise

The front of the layout will have the small goods yard with ample space to shunt a few trucks about. I want to put in few little touhes like a signal box, coal store and water tower etc.
The back part where you can see the low relief houses will be a street that runs paralell to the yard. I want to have some nice gardens on the front of the houses and some fencing to quard off the yard.

All of the soldering to the track is done (with a few melted sleepers =x) all the track is powered so it will be DCC compatible. My engines are (for now) standard but i do plan to upgrade to DCC at some point.

Now as of late I am feeling rater poor. The wood I used to put this together was all blagged :P my large boards are in storage for now. All the track I already had, same goes for the cork. I need a few more buildings etc and 1 to save money and 2 to give my layout a little more of a unique look I want to scratch build some bits and bobs. The large depot is one of my first scratch built buildings made from loads of metcalf leftovers I had. I also have a bunch of metcalf stone and brick sheets use for my next adventures in model building.

Here is my prototype signal box

I started to make the building with some of the brick sheets I have but I think I used too thick card and am not happy at all with the windows(namely the matchstick frames)

I am now going to have another go a my signal box :)

Simon

SimonDBench

Re: N Guage - Moggington - now much much smaller

Postby SimonDBench » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 pm

A short update i test wired the track and can report there are no shorts (Yay!) I have soldered to drop wires to the appropriate tracks now too so they are ready for fitting to the base board. I would say that soldering directly to the rails was probablt not such a great idea as the sleepers melted however I have though of another way to solder to the rail but need to test run it before I share it. For now I am going to have to hope I can hide the mess in the balast later on.

Also I finished my signal box. It looks a little rough to me :/ I don't think I really captured what a signal box should look like. I may have a revisit on this and try some different things.

if you look closely I put some levers in there lol :P

I did have a few rather guilty purchases this weekend...not massive ones but you know how it is you see a few little things and soon those little things pile up :P I needed a way of decoupling on the layout and found that my local second hand model shop had some brilliant bits and bobs including some very old decoupling systems that were 82p for 2. I only got one so I could test it and after the testing I did I think I will go back and get some more (they didn't work fantasitcaly but well enough). I also picked up a GWR platform crane for my yard as I have and intend to buy some more conflat stock. This was my first experience with a metal kit and I have too admit It was a bit of a pain in the but. However I'm sure with a little practice I will get better

Crane fully build and painted grey, needs some weathering.... also the thread needs trimming as there is some glue drying on the knots here

the other bits and bobs I got were track pins, some jewlers pliers and some mini files. I found the files were great for triming the metal crane kit but also for manipulating the metcalfe card so that I could try to reduce the seems. Again I have had another idea on this but want to proof test it before I disclose anything lol.

One last picture to wrap this whole thing up. There was some good sun today so I grabbed a pic of where the layout is going to live.

Simon

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm

That's some clever use of space!
As for size, I often wish I hadn't jumped in to such a large project. There's a huge learning curve and something of this size is perfect for honing your techniques.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”