Pedant County - Update 29/8/10

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Pedant County - 00 Gauge Garage Layout

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:06 am

Oh my Tinman,

Love that turntable ..... and admire your confidence with all those electric wires. Hate just putting on 'well done' messages, but couldn't resist and I'm looking forward to your development. Also like the idea of trying to keep track limited in one area so as to have more countryside scenics. Too many modellers try and get excessive track length rather than blending into a deeper scene.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks :) I must admit when it comes to wiring I guess I've got a bit of an advantage in that I was trained to repair and modify these sorts of things right down to individual component level for a living (albeit 24 years ago) so model railway wiring in comparison is a stroll in the park :-

Model making and painting however is a new experience so I'm very much learning from the hints and tips I've been finding around the net, especially this forum. Without the great advice others have given frankly that turntable would have looked pretty rubbish I recon cos I wouldn't have had a clue.

Although a decent area for scenery was quite high on my list of requirements I'm still not entirely clear in my head what I'm going to be doing with that coutryside area, I'll be looking to get some inspiration from other people's layouts when I get to that, imagination isn't one of my stronger points to put it mildly !
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 pm

I'm gonna have to get quicker at making buildings if I'm ever going to get this layout finished lol

But at least I've finally finished the watermill (apart from a notice board to put on the front)

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 am

I want one, I want one, I want one, lol.. superb Mr Tinman. I DEMAND to know how you made that rofl. You could motorise the wheel

I am deffo going to "steal" that idea. (well at least I'm honest) :D

greets Slacking slackers

"permission to say whoopppp dee doo sir"
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

tinman

Postby tinman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 am

lol thanks Slackers :)

It actually wouldn't be difficult to motorise now you mention it, extend the shaft into the building and fit a turntable motor assembly inside.

Only problem is that when it's in place and the river's finished the 'water' will fix it in position which is a bit of a shame, it wouldn't look quite right with the waterwheel hovering slightly above the water, would have been a brilliant idea otherwise !

It's a Wills Craftsman kit btw if you fancy one, cutting the walls out was a bit of a pain cos they just come as plain sheets and the Wills sheets are quite thick, but otherwise it was a fairly easy build

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Right am gonna have me one.. lol and yes I know what you mean bout the wheel to be motorised would need to be above modelled water... "huuummmmmm... cogs ticking thinking noises of an old shrivelled up wallnut"

How about this.. somehow model and build in a stream made from a piece of plastic trunking or piping (drain type) something could be stuck along on the inside and painted and textured to make it look like a stream bank (tile adhesive the waterproof type have just been using some to tile an en suite) and have the wheel actually in the water !!! heck if it was inclined with a small water pump fitted the water could even run on a return basis..... "oh well.. wanders off looking for where I parked me zimmer frame"

:D slacking slackers

Merv

Postby Merv » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:29 pm

That's a good job on a Craftsmen kit, like you say, the Wills sheets can be a pain to cut. The thing is if you can make one of them it's not much of a step up to scratch build something
Currently Armchair Modelling

Not at all Fluffy

tinman

Postby tinman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Yeah I'm sure there's a way around it, my son keeps insiting I use proper water for the entire river and waterfall and use a pond pump, but I'm not so keen on that idea given the amount of wiring underneath it ! It could be done, but if it starts leaking.....

Thanks Merv, you're right there, I was thinking at the time the only real difference is that I had a plan to go by but it's not a big deal making my own plan (and windows aren't exactly complex, I've got the styrene strips already) so I'm sure I'll be giving scratch building a go. I've got another craftsman kit ordered for the double engine shed so that'll give me a little bit more practice before I take the plunge.

They included extra doors, drain pipes, chimney pots etc in the watermill kit which would come in handy,there's enough for at least 2 more buildings so would be daft not to make use of them.

Btw, for anyone starting off with a craftsman kit - the instructions suggest using a craft knife to cut out the holes for the windows, cut them slightly small, then file them out to the correct size. There's 2 problems I found with this, firstly a craft knife isn't strong enough to cut plastic that thick, I kept breaking blades, and secondly it's impossible to get perfectly sharp square corners with a needle file (at least that's what I found anyway). If you look at the windows on the front of the watermill above the corners aren't great, they're fairly rounded. On the sides and back I reverted to a stanley knife, cut them to the correct size, and just lightly filed off the burrs. That gave far better results, the corners were much more clean and square in comparison.
Last edited by tinman on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve with the Hat

Postby Steve with the Hat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:12 pm

sounds like a good idea but water dosen't scale well if I remember my Stingray correctly,

really impressive kit though - well done!

Steve

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Your right Steve, water would just not look right would it? mind you I was in love with Aqua Maria lol

tinman

Postby tinman » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Yeah that's a good point. As impressive as a motorised wheel would look, I think I'll keep it simple for the time being, maybe something to think about later when the layout's a bit closer to being completed :)

Well, my single and double engine sheds have just been delivered (royal mail parcel post on a Sunday :shock: ) so I'm off to start another.... :lol:

This time around I'm going to paint all the base coats before I start glueing it together ! I should be cracking on with the track wiring really but what the hell, I guess it'll all get done eventually

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Parcel post on a Sunday.... :shock:

I need a lie down.. :shock:

tinman

Postby tinman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:26 am

Thanks to a period of illness (well, more ill than usual that is...) nothing whatsoever got done for almost a month (looking at the date of my previous update), but I've managed to get back on the case this week and make some progress :D

No pics I'm afraid as there's nothing to actually see, other than underneath the baseboard, but the whole outer 'loop' and all its sidings are now live with all the respective point motors fitted (although I still have about a dozen extra droppers to wire up and the point motors on the bottom and side sections aren't connected to the mimic panels yet, only the top section is fully complete in that respect).

So, when I'm taking a break I can send a train off running round the loop, yippee (yeah ok, I know, I'm sad lol :roll: )

Couple things worth noting at this stage as far as hurdles or observations go:-

1) I've noticed in various places on the net people saying double slips should only be used as a last resort cos you can only use small engines at low speed on them. Well....switched so that it changes lanes (ie. its tightest route) I've had my largest engine with 2 carriages hurtling through it 40+ times (followed by the short LH point directly joined to it) at full speed with no derails or anything, it works an absolute treat. Although there is 1 minor problem which I'll mention in point 2.

2) I'm using 12mm chipboard with 3mm cork tiles on top. With the point motors fitted underneath I've discovered a problem - the chipboard/cork combo is too thick to allow room to fit a twin microswitch to the point motor !
For starters this means my 3-way point is inoperable unless I use some other method of switching my mimic board LEDs and instead use the accessory switches to supply the frogs. Aarrgghh !!
I could butcher the thing with my dremel, a tube of epoxy resin and half a dozen or so extra droppers to get around the problem (effectively turning it into an insulfrog), but as space isn't an issue and I only bought it to make things simpler (HAHA) I'm going to replace it with 2 normal points instead.
Of course this also causes an issue with the frogs on the double slips for the exact same reason, but I've found that with the frogs left disconnected the trains will still happily run through the slips at 1/4 speed or above without stalling, and as they're not situated in an area where I would be specifically wanting to go under 1/4 speed through them I'm quite happy to leave it like that. Not perfect, but it'll do, and all the wires are easily accessible from underneath should I decide to go for a better solution at a later date. Maybe use the accessory switches to power the frogs, and switch the mimic panel LEDs using surface mounted minature microswitches instead. Must admit it would be nice to have it done properly, we'll see, for now I just want to get it all powered so I can get started on track weathering and ballasting !

So, once the rest of the droppers are connected, the next stage is to wire up the turntable motor, then get started on wiring up the inner loop and building the incline and bridge over the river. Oh and I've got some 1.8mm red LEDs arriving tomorrow to install on my buffer stops too, had to be done :lol:

I think I'm going to leave fitting and connecting up the other 3 mimic panels until the inner loop is all nailed down and ready to go so it'll be the very last track related wiring job. So much to do and so little energy :?

Ooh yeah I ought to add, I'm getting the misses trained up nicely. This weeks lesson was soldering and crimping, and she's subsequently made up and connected all the wiring looms for my point motors and accessory switches which has saved me hours ! Tomorrows lesson will be track painting :P

slackbladder

Postby slackbladder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:23 am

Nice work tinman sir, sorry to hear about the health problems. I just got word to go and have me kidney stone zapped! cant wait.

she's subsequently made up and connected all the wiring looms for my point motors and accessory switches

Ask her is she fancies leaving you and marrying me. :D :D :P

Cheers slackers

tinman

Postby tinman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Thanks Slackers, no you can't have her lol.
Good luck with the zapping !

Well, all the point motors for the inner section are now fitted so other than replacing the 3-way when my order arrives, that's it for pratting about fitting points and motors, can't say I'll miss it.

Tomorrows job is making the incline & bridge, then I can fix the whole of the inner loop in place. Trackside painting has commenced on the outer loops so we're finally getting somewhere :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”